“Short Sighted”

Rustic Manor Motor Lodge
Rustic Manor Motor Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Saint Germain
Reviewed 23 January 2016

My family and I have been coming here for years, and have enjoyed this hotel. The rooms are clean and the staff has always been helpful and friendly. The pool area, which includes a warm water pool, hot tub and games, is great. Plus, the hotel is conveniently located right on the snowmobile trail.

Today, however, I changed my opinion about Rustic Manor because of a bad customer service experience. I canceled our reservation on short notice because I suffered a back injury in the last 24 hours. The front desk person at the hotel (Brian) showed no empathy and informed me that I would be charged for both nights.

I was disappointed and surprised by this (both the lack of empathy and the 2-night charge). In fairness, the hotel does have a 72 hour cancellation policy, and I fully expected to pay something (e.g., pay for one night) given the short notice. However, the hotel's decision to charge me for both nights--without considering the reason for my cancellation and despite the fact that I am a long-term customer--suggests that the hometown friendliness we've come to enjoy at Rustic Manor is changing.

This is truly a shame given our long-term connection to the hotel, but it's a good reminder how one poor experience can shape your opinion about a business. It is also short-sighted since it will definitely influence whether we return to the Rustic Manor in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building, but not adjacent to the pool.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark-Jen-Wisconsin

Reviewed 5 October 2015 via mobile

Living 6 hours away from our family in this area we have done our rounds in hotels. This is now the only place well stay anymore. The hotel was very clean and very comfortable. The beds were great! The pillows were amazing. (In fact, I removed pillow cases to find the brand so I could get one for home!) I don't like to travel without my dog. The rustic manor is dog friendly, and even has a dog walk path! They also have a grill area and play ground that we were happy to use. The staff is very friendly and happy to help.
The only reason why I'm giving them 4 and not 5 stars is because the water pressure was awful.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2015

I just have to give a shout out to this place! I had a really bad experience with another motel on this trip, so I was really worried about what I might find at this one. But I can't complain about a thing at this place. Everything (room, pool, breakfast room) was spotless. You could tell that the owner really paid attention to detail. The location was beautiful and peaceful. We sat on a swing in the back and watched deer at the feeder just a few feet from us. Very pleasant stay and we wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2015

The rooms are spacious, clean with comfortable beds. Quiet and peaceful area. We enjoyed the well maintained hot tub and pool area. Breakfast was ample.....hard boiled eggs, waffles, toast, juice, cereal, etc. The breakfast room had beautiful "north woods" furniture. Close to restaurants and grocery. THe rooms look as though there have been recent updates. I would recommend the Rustic Manor Motor Lodge

Room Tip: Wifi was not consistent. All rooms Arron ground floor with easy access.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ginger2442
Reviewed 3 September 2015

I had not stayed at this lodge for a year and a half. I was surprised at the number of updates the owners have done. I enjoyed my visit. I was there 5 nights. The lodge was clean and well maintained, The owners and employees are friendly and very helpful. There are bike trail behind the lodge. If you don't have a bike they rent bikes. There is a very nice pool and whirlpool room. I will be staying at lodge again in late Sept.

Room Tip: good deer viewing rooms on back side of lodge and quieter
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
9.3 km away
Whitetail Lodge
Whitetail Lodge
#2 of 12 in Saint Germain

Been to Rustic Manor Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!