We found the Haven home at Birch Lake and thought it looked perfect
till we read the first 2 reviews. But then we read the rest of the
reviews and they were all 5 stars so we decided to take a chance. We
are so glad we did. The home was gorgeous and very clean and the
grounds and the lake were beautiful. We caught lots of fish. Our kids
loved the swimming and especially the water trampoline. We all enjoyed
the hiking trail and the wonderful peace and quiet. We will be back
next summer and maybe even a short stay this winter.
This location is beautiful and the house offers a lot of space.
Beyond that we were disappointed with the level of cleanliness. The mold on the downstairs shower curtain, the broken doorknob on the downstairs bathroom, the dirt stained dining room chairs and couch, the dirty vents and filthy oven which produced smoke when preheating and cooking, the water logged ceiling fan over the hot tub, and the smokey smelling sheets all contributed to our impression of the property.
Be aware that guests are required to provide all of their own towels (listed as provided on this site), hand soap, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, paper towels and toilet paper. We haven't encountered that with rentals on other sites, so it was a surprise for us to get the information in the mail after we had made a deposit on the property.
My family stayed at the Haven this past weekend. We sent the following complaints (With more details) to the owners and were met with excuse after excuse...
1. Let's start with WiFi - didn't work. My mother in fact called once because she just needed to connect to clear an error so that she could read her book. She was told to stand on the front porch. - They claimed its a long time issue - well then do advertise you have it - we had planned a few activities around having access.
2. The stove was filthy - so much caked on gunk that is smells like the place is burning down without any food in it (preheating)..
3. The couch in the living room upstairs: we had to get a blanket from downstairs to cover it because it smelled like someone had pooped in their pants and left it sit.
4. The mold around the vents in the bathroom downstairs and stains on the walls shows that the place is rarely thoroughly cleaned - not to mention the dust bunnies everywhere.
5. Sheets on the king bed were crusty.
6. There was a pile of seeds sitting under the pillow in one queen room.
7. Sofa sleepers (everyone of them) was covered with mouse poop when we took the cushions off.
8. The worst by far was the mouse infestation. My parents arrived on Thursday night and saw a mouse in the kitchen that night - Friday morning they went and bought mouse traps; there was a constant critter scurrying in the wall after dark. There was also tufts of mouse fur on the dresser in the game room. And then there was poop on multiple surfaces in the kitchen every morning. While we understand that mice come inside in fall - this has obviously been a problem for quite sometime given the amount of evidence left behind.
9. Wasn't a big issue but the whirlpool jets work - there are two that function but don't really push much out - the rest either don't work or barely bubble - plus the fan looks like it is ready to collapse.
At approx. $250.00 per night - we could have rented a suite in the Dells for this price and they are more thoroughly cleaned. The owner in response stated this was a complaint about the price - not so it was simply stating we could get a cleaner suite in the Dells for a similar price - he tried to break it down to per person (6 adults) stating can't get a room for that price at super 8. Not true we could get a suite in the Dells, Door County etc. that would have fit all of us for around the same price,,,
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
|A romantic getaway|
|Check-in / front desk||Service|