All reviews real joy care and attention every meal ranch horses jackson bedding
Reviewed 28 November 2015

2015 was my third consecutive visit to the T Cross and I'm already making plans for a 2016 visit. Mark and Gretchen have created a wonderful place to escape from it all. Jay (the chef) makes the best meals, always something I enjoy. They bend over backwards to accommodate dietary restrictions.

I rank my riding ability as moderate and I'm always happy with the horse I'm assigned. I've seen rank beginners and super-advanced riders at the T Cross and they're happy as well. If you want a particular type of ride (a certain trail, faster/more advanced riding, for example), all you need to do is ask the cowboys or Mark. You may not get your wish on the next ride, but you *will* get your ideal ride. After the first morning or so, the cowboys are better able to judge what would be the ideal makeup for each riding group. They don't want the groups so large they're unmanageable. They also don't want rank beginners grouped with more advanced riders. You're not forced to ride; if you're a fisherman there's great fishing on Horse Creek.

Accommondations are spotless. This year I brought my niece (rather than travelling alone) so we were in one of the 2-bedroom cabins. My bedroom had a large fireplace and my niece's had a potbellied stove. That worked out great because I could have the cold room I like for sleeping and she had a nice cozy one. Cabins do have indoor plumbing and electricity, but if you want plush carpets, bathrobes, and total pampering you might not be happy here.

I've read other reviews where the traveller had complaints. My reaction to those reviews is that the person probably sat and fussed and didn't say anything. As I mentioned with the riding, all you need to do is ask somebody if you need or want something and the staff will do everything within their power to get you what you want.

This ranch is great for families as well as singles/couples. There's a weekly square dance in Dubois one night, and a rodeo another night. Those are fun, but I also enjoy just sitting on my porch (or inside, after it gets too cold) and reading a book.

Room tip: All the cabins are good
3  Thank Jody C
Reviewed 12 November 2015

My husband and our three boys always wanted to venture out west and have a real dude ranch experience. We are from the Northeast and wanted a break from school, sports and our hectic schedule. I did a lot of research on dude ranches and determined I wanted to be in Wyoming and during August before our sons returned to school. I discovered T Cross from their website.

Now, we have many friends that have stayed at ranches all over the west but most notably in Wyoming and Montana. All reported that their vacations were the "best they had every had", and the dude ranch experience is "simply amazing." We decided that we wanted to try a different ranch and we deemed T Cross to be our favorite for several reasons. It was close to Jackson Hole which we wanted to visit anyway during our trip. It was accessible but just enough off the beat and path -- many of these ranches, particularly near JH are close to or just off the main roads. We also wanted a smaller ranch for a more personalized ranch experience.

All I can say is the T Cross DELIVERED! From the moment you enter the gates, the scenery is breathtaking. You pass the horses as you drive in which got our boys just so excited! We were greeted by the staff and they could not have been more warm and welcoming -- Gretchen and Mark make you feel like you are at home. We were brought to our wonderful cabin which was perfect for our family and so close to horses! The food was delicious and lovingly prepared, served in the dining area in the guest lodge with all the other guests. I have to note that the other guests at the ranch during our week made our experience just as special -- everyone was so friendly and warm hearted. Many were return guests which is a testament to the ranch itself.

One of the most memorable experiences for us was our pack trip led by Michael into the heart of Wyoming wilderness. It took hours on horseback to reach our beautiful destination and every minute from start to finish was special and unique. My boys still talk about Michael and how much fun they had. It brought our family together in a way I can never describe in words.

I read the previous review with a bit of dismay. The individual states the horses were mistreated and food was less than gourmet. If you are looking for a Ritz Carlton, then go to one. All the staff T Cross had nothing but love for those horses and did everything in their power to ensure their care and safety. The food is wonderful, period. My impression is that you go to a Dude Ranch to be on a Dude Ranch. And T Cross is all that it promises and more. We may not be able to go back this year. But we WILL RETURN. We left part of our hearts there. Thank you T Cross for making lasting memories for my family. xo

1  Thank MEBA3
Reviewed 13 October 2015

We stayed her summer 2015. Scheduled one week but left early. The riding, though advertised as "beginner to advanced" is not riding at all, it's sitting. Walk only. Up the mountain and then down the mountain, every day. Horses had cracked hoofs, some were lame. None were very happy to be going out on the trails. Half of the horses were worked every day, several times a day, for a week, in the heat and up and down those slopes. Then given a week off, and the other half (over)worked in the same way. All so that the "wranglers" don't have to change the girth holes on the saddles. Shame on them.

Food advertised as "gourmet". That's a joke. Coolwhip topping, spaghetti and tomato sauce, coolaid, iceberg lettuce, corn syrup instead of maple syrup .... Tables were full of processed junk at every meal.

Cabins dark, window screens didn't even come close to fitting and full of holes, so cabins full of mosquitoes. Mattresses all very soft and lumpy, with no box spring underneath, just squeaky, old springs. I had a sore back every single morning.

The "kids program" simply does not exist. No pool for the heat, jacuzzi water disgusting, and the landscape was a bit depressing, given that at least half of the forest was dead.

The clientele all seemed happy though ... Mostly the southern, gun totting, wildlife shooting, not too sporty kind that is happy sitting on the back of a mistreated horse.

Date of stay: June 2015
7  Thank tzne x
Reviewed 14 September 2015

No matter what they are, your expectations will undoubtedly be exceeded at the T Cross Ranch. This place is truly special! The setting of the ranch is perfect whether you like to ride horses or not. There are a tremendous amount of activities to do that will keep you busy or you can just enjoy the peace and serenity received from just taking in all the awesome views. If you are into horses then this is the place to come. We rode every day and each trail ride was unique and awe inspiring. The terrain and ecology was different in all four directions, giving you a once in a lifetime experience each day. In addition, the staff was exceptional! They met our every need and were able to accommodate our family of five (two teenagers and a nine year old) very well. Each ranch hand was patient and obviously experienced dealing with horses and nervous young children. Food was fabulous and more than enough to fill you up at each meal. (Thanks to Chef Jay.) We researched over two dozen ranches and in our opinion Gretchen and Mark have outdone them all.

Date of stay: July 2015
1  Thank Brian G
Reviewed 3 September 2015

I visited Cross again for the 15th consecutive summer. On driving in I am always impressed by the natural beauty of the valley, Horse Creek running the entire length of the ranch, backed up by the towering ridges on the East and West sides.

What one sees from start to finish of a trip is the overall quality of T Cross: the location, the accommodations(rustic to be sure but still quality), the staff, the food, the horses and tack. Even the remoteness of the ranch lends itself to the overall quality of the visit, The quiet, the murmuring of the creek, the stars with little or no man-made light are a really good light show.

From Orientation on Monday morning to the all-day ride on Friday the wranglers(cowboys) are your constant guides and companions. They are aware of how guest and horse are adjusting to one another(will even change mounts when necessary), ever ready to make needed equipment adjustments to insure comfort and safety. The trail rides into the surrounding National Forests are truly breathtaking. Elevation changes from the ranch altitude of 7800 ft to as high as 9300 ft guarantees scenic vistas that live up to the billing of the best in Western scenery.

My real reason for visiting T Cross is the fishing in Horse Creek. I am a novice fly-fisherman and have fished over a lot of the U.S. I have never fished anywhere that compares with T Cross. This is fishing as one dreams it should be. The creek is accessible throughout its' length on the ranch. Wade fishing is the usual approach, but neoprene socks help with the coolness of the water. Native Brook trout (8-12") are plentiful. The management stocks rainbows up to 20" and Yellowstone Cut-throats up to 16". There are also Brown trout and Mountain Whitefish in the creek Almost any good Western assortment of flies(Parachute Adams, Royal Wulff, Humpies, hoppers) will work.

I have not intentionally left out the youngsters who visit T Cross. I enjoy each summer seeing them arrive on Sunday and from the start they complain about no Cell, no TV, no pool and worst of all, no friends. The change that occurs between Sunday evening and dinner on Monday is almost a miracle in itself. They have ridden a horse, met the cowboys and most important, have made new friends.

All in all, T Cross is an outstanding venue Management and staff go the extra mile to insure every guest is happy with their choice of T Cross as their vacation spot.

• Trip type: Travelled solo