“Delightful Meal & Experience”
Review of Bamboo Restaurant

Bamboo Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Hawi
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Come to Bamboo for a feeling of the "Real Hawaii". Located in a historic building, we offer lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch, and we invented the Passion Fruit Margarita and Mojito. Browse the gallery for local art and crafts. Come and find the aloha of the islands!
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

So glad we stopped at this restaurant before heading back to the East Coast. Besides a warm, authentic vibe and charming music, service was impeccable - the owner is particularly charming - and the food was wonderful. Started with the best Pina colada ever, had the ribeye and ahi tuna, and the mocha cheesecake with delicious coffee. Thank you, Joan and team! Come visit us at the Greenwood Inn in Rhode Island!

mangogirlhawi, Owner at Bamboo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2018

Awwww.... hey, you guys were pretty great yourselves! Mahalo!!

Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

Had lunch here and it was great. The Mai Thais are awesome as well. We were a little early and arrived before the restaurant however there’s a small shop and art gallery up the stairs where we could look around.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

We have been here several times over the years and it is always great! We enjoyed the fish sandwich which was made with mahi-mahi. The fresh fruit salsa was also great. Loved the coleslaw with the sesame dressing. Service is always pleasant. Be sure to check times when they are open because they have a unique schedule.

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

We stopped here on our visit to Hawi and had a great lunch. I recommend the starter platter if you can’t decide what starter to have. All the dishes were excellent ,especially the dumplings. I had the ribs for mains and had to share as well because they were delicious. My Wife went for the chicken fry up with noodles and also enjoyed it very much. Creme Brûlée and the chocolate tart for dessert are also not to be missed. Shame I was driving there , would have loved to try one of their many passion fruit cocktail creations. Check out the gallery afterwards as well and make sure you read up a bit on the history of the building in the menu.
All dishes were gone too fast to take pictures unfortunately :-) Staff was Super friendly

1  Thank Andre D
Reviewed 4 January 2018

Of the choices you have to eat in Hawi, Bamboo works for me on many levels. First, the historic unique funky vibe inside and out, beckons one who abhors the "corporate" resort experience. Of course the food has to deliver on taste, and in six visits over the years, it always has. The quality of ingredients used needs to be noted, as healthy farm to table with local, sustainable food practices that are part of what they offer to their customers. It does add to the cost, but it is so worth it. The other factor is the consistent "aloha" service I have received every visit, whether crazy busy, or at relaxed slower times. Get used to the various waitstaff members engaging your table to ensure all is going well. I rather enjoy this, and do not find it intrusive at all. Reservations are recommended, especially for larger parties.

On this visit, Kehau was our waitress, assisted by energetic smiling Jack. Like most of the staff, she has been with them for years, We remembered her from a previous visit. She's a stellar server who recommended my entree Mahi-Mahi preparation (Thai coconut ginger), and it was a home run! Mild in heat, big on flavor, and so plentiful, the two scoops of sticky rice helped absorb the rest. I advise not to drown the rice in soy sauce, as it does have a slight mild flavor and the sprinkling of black toasted sesame seeds are a nice touch. Fish can be easily overcooked, but mine was perfect. I have never had to send anything back to the kitchen here, but you can if need be. Portions and balance on plate were just right. Jack was on the spot with iced tea, and water refills, oh thirsty patrons rejoice.

Desserts, are my favorite part of any meal. I've had their brulee, torte, and lilikoi cheese cake on previous visits, all very good. Undecided, I was informed of a small bite trio of the cheese cakes and kohala lime pie, that's not on the menu. Oh yes, thank you for satisfying my sweet tooth, at a small cost too. Another example of aloha service one can have when you engage the staff, and tell them what you prefer. Oh, and if something isn't just right, let them know, politely! Want extra sauce, dressing, certain substitutions, dietary considerations, just ask. Our requests have always been accommodated.

You will likely notice the detailed attention to their themed decor. From the table, menus, stemware, and glassware, to the print cloth napkins, accents, etc. The colorful, kitschy, interior invites many photo opportunities, they don't mind. When planning your day, their website is most helpful. Note the days and various hours of operation for lunch, dinner, happy hour, brunch on Sunday only, as they have certain 3 or 2 hour windows that are allotted for them. "Menus" section shows lots of information, although what is available for "Happy Hour" wasn't listed (you would assume the Pupu's selection, maybe more). No prices are posted, but that is a trend I'm finding. They take all major credit cards, omitted on their web site, but indicated on their Facebook page under "about".

Some of the negative reviews on TA refer to the owner, Joan, as rude. I beg to differ recalling my interaction with her concerning a previous tipping error on our part. Her calm tactful discretion, was the right tone for rectifying the matter. Oh well, to each his own. Free parking can be found in the back, on the street, and sometimes over in the lot near the farmer's market location, across the intersection of the 250 & 270. This over 100 year old historic building also houses the gift shop and upstairs gallery. Both are worth a visit for unique artsy souvenirs, and gifts.

So, If you want a more authentic experience on your vacation when visiting Hawi, I do whole heartily recommend Bamboo. Oh, and Yes the Mai-Tais are quite good.

Mahalo.

mangogirlhawi, Owner at Bamboo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Hahahahaha! Well, good heaven's Mike, this is the MOST thorough review EVER. Sure glad I was discrete with you. Thank you so much!