“Great local food”

Freddy's Restaurant
Ranked #116 of 262 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

The "loco moco", a dish with a burger and fried egg over rice and under gravy, was supposedly invented at another local eatery, the Cafe 100. The versions at Freddy's in Hilo are all fresh and fabulous. Be warned: the "plate" version includes a double portion of everything and comes with sides, so it is a massive undertaking. "Potato Mac" salad, with both diced potatoes and elbow macaroni, is good too. Service friendly and attentive, and there is a takeout side if you need to hit the beach. Recommended!

Reviewed 20 July 2015

Don's Grill was closed one day, so we went to Freddy's Restaurant. It was after lunch, so there was only one other couple there. Waitress was polite enough. Our food took a long time to get. It was average at best. We decided that we probably won't eat there again. We were in the sit down section. There is also a take out area.

Reviewed 16 July 2015

I was a regular at Freddy's some years ago and recently returned for a take-out lunch (salad). In the past the food was OK and service at the counter was iffy. Today, the green chef salad was terrible. Most of the lettuce was beginning to brown and wilting; had to throwaway a portion. I would have returned it but it was too far to travel back. Instead called and left a message for the manager to return my call. A day later no one has called. I wanted to inform manager of the poor condition of the food and express hope that no one else got the same service and food. It was not my intent to seek a refund since I ate most of it (brown lettuce wouldn't make me sick; slimy would.). In any case, I write this review for 2 reasons: 1) Check your salad before eating and paying for it, and 2) The lack of a return call from the manager - prompting me to get the word out via other means.

Reviewed 16 March 2015

this was my 1st and last trip to Freddy's Restaurant in Hilo Hawaii, my in-laws had been to this restaurant in the past and said the service and food was very good. There were 5 adults in our party, only 2 other small groups in the dinning area. we were seated by our server who took our drink order and returned 20 minutes later w/ ours drinks which were water and 2 diet cokes. in that 20 minute time span another customer was seated and walked out after about 15/20 minutes not even being greeted by the server that was working the dinning area. My sister in-laws appetizer was brought to the table the same time our lunch arrived, the server we had was very slow and never came back to ask if our meals were ok or if we needed anything. The food was average at best. I needed to use the men's room before we left, I walked in and right back out, decided I didn't need to go that bad until we made our next stop as the men's restroom needed a lot of cleaning, I have seen restrooms at truck stops and gas stations cleaner than this. if you're traveling to Hilo Hawaii I would avoid this restaurant!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Corkmyster9436
Reviewed 4 February 2015

Wherever I travel to, I'm always looking for where the locals frequent. In this case, WE are locals, and we love Freddy's. The prices are very reasonable and they have a great selection of Hawaiian favorites and regular food. I always get the garden Omelet. I'm 99% vegetarian, so I look for meat-free items. In this case it is consistently great, and I order it every time. Service is quick and the food is there before you can finish your first cup of coffee. Enjoy.