“excellent, great location”

Ranked #12 of 261 Restaurants in Hilo
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: American, Asian, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Naung Mai Thai Kitchen has a long standing reputation for serving the best Thai food in Hilo. This quintessential "hole in the wall" has become a favorite among locals and visitors alike. Located just blocks from the Hilo Farmer's Market, the chefs gather the freshest ingredients, choosing organic and local products whenever possible; the results are simply delicious!
Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

Cozy place, nice lighting and bright colors. The service was friendly and very accommodating. The crab fried rice was excellent. Nothing to complain about. Check it out! Easy parking on the street.

Reviewed 26 July 2018

This is NOT a fancy place.....but i think it is very good because MOST of the Thai restaurants here are flavored for American taste......not my thing........Typical of traditional Thai Flavors........i had the Curry with pumpkin and chicken......medium heat.....made very well over sicky rice........The fried calamari was very crispy on the outside and very tender on the inside with a good spicy sauce.......this is a small place with very few tables....not a fancy decor ....but good food that came out very fast

Reviewed 30 June 2018

Overall we left full and happy. Between the four us we had three different meals and all were good. Funny how "very hot" can be something different from one Thai place to another.

Pros: Good food, decent portions, reasonably priced.

You should know: They have a lot of carry-out business. When we arrived there was only one other table that had not ordered food so we expected our food right away. But one after another, customers came in for their take-away meals so our food took much longer than we were used for a Thai restaurant.

Needs improvement: Kind of a pet peeve so take it for what it is - three of our meals arrived at the same time but the 4th meal arrived 5 minutes later.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We went here for dinner after considering a lot of places. The food was fine, nothing special really. My husband complained that his meal was bland. My meal was not as spicy as I had hoped. I requested medium spice. They do not serve alcohol and I saw that two women brought their own bottle of wine which is allowed. I wished I had known that.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Came here for dinner. Order the fried rice, pad thai and calamari. I knew i might be disappointed when i asked for chile and they didnt have any. A thai place that doesn't have chile. They only have chile sauce. The fired rice came out a little wet. The pad thai came out in a sauce. Calamari was came out like fish sticks. Wasnt flavorful. Our family didnt expect much and unfortunately was disappointed even then. One and done for us.