“Excellent Stop Along The Way”

Punaluu Bake Shop and Visitor Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Naalehu
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed 9 September 2017

Had fresh baked items which smelled great on a blue sky morning. Was very busy which meant baked goods stay fresh with constant turnover. Well stocked shelves of visitor information and souvenir items. Clean restrooms.

1  Thank MikeB64

Reviewed 8 September 2017

While driving through town on the way to the beach, stopped by for some malasadas. They were great! I also had to have a Coco Puff, and we got some lilikoʻi mac-nut cookies for later. Outstanding

1  Thank Matthew808
Reviewed 5 September 2017

This quaint little bakery in the middle of nowhere is great. It has been there for along time and just keeps getting better. They have a little screened window that you can look inside to the bake shop to see what is going on. Of course, it allows the smell of the baked goods to escape into the surrounding air and you can tell you are getting close from the sweet smell of the bread and pastries.

I love malasadas and these even beat Leonard's on O`ahu (don't worry, Leonards is only on O`ahu, I will still eat their malasadas). They have different flavors of malasadas and they are so fluffy.

I had a request from my son to bring him home some poi sweet bread dinner rolls, which are hard to find on O`ahu. They survived the entire day in the car and plane ride home believe it or not.

Planning our next trip to take my family from Oregon to the Big Island and my younger brother says we need to stop by the bakery again so everyone (meaning himself) can have malasadas.
I can't wait to get back there, just have to wait 4 months, uggghhh!! Oh, and the young local gals working there are very polite and friendly, typical of the Big Island residents. I hope this bakery stay little, and keeps the local feel.

1  Thank Renee M
Reviewed 3 September 2017

I spent my early years living in Hawaii and even from way back when...I remembered the Sweet Bread that we would eat, although back then it was called Portuguese bread. There was no way I was going to miss going to the Punaluu Sweet Bread Bake Shop while here! Upon arrival, I could already smell the wonderful sweet smell wafting through the air. When we got inside the shop, I was in Heaven. There were all kinds of sweet bread on the shelves. Back in my day...there was only one. They also had all kinds of goodies fresh from the bake shop, like Masadas. There was also a large gift shop area there. We left there with a large loaf of regular Sweet Bread, a smaller loaf of their Cinnamon Sweet Bread and various other goodies like Hawaiian Honey to put ON our sweet bread. We enjoyed these goodies for the remainder of our 2 week trip. Other than going back home with a little more poundage than we had when we arrived...it was a great addition to the trip! Not to be missed if you are able to get on that side of the island.

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Our daughter chose Punalu'u to celebrate her 10th birthday as we were coming from Siuth Point and the green sand beach. Definitely worth stopping for the Hawaiian sweet bread alone! Beautiful gardens to eat in as well.