“Great Place To Grab A Bite To Eat!”

Punaluu Bake Shop and Visitor Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Naalehu
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 15 September 2017

After passing this place several times I had an opportunity to stop in to grab a sandwich and a cup of coffee. Sandwich was quite fresh and the coffee was brewed to perfection. There is a nice outdoor patio where you can enjoy your meal while listening to live music. There is a bakery also and I tried some type of frosted doughnut type pastry which was very good. There is a shop where one can purchase souvenirs of varying types. Wish I had found this place earlier during my stay.

1  Thank jne7299318

Reviewed 13 September 2017

The Visitors Center only consists of posters; you cannot see the bread making process. Prices of sweet bread products are high; you can get the same product in Kona or Hilo for less. There is nothing special about the plate lunches: high prices, small portions. Unless you need to make a pit stop on the way to Volcano, I suggest you avoid this place.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

Had fresh baked items which smelled great on a blue sky morning. Was very busy which meant baked goods stay fresh with constant turnover. Well stocked shelves of visitor information and souvenir items. Clean restrooms.

1  Thank MikeB64
Reviewed 8 September 2017

While driving through town on the way to the beach, stopped by for some malasadas. They were great! I also had to have a Coco Puff, and we got some lilikoʻi mac-nut cookies for later. Outstanding

1  Thank Matthew808
Reviewed 5 September 2017

This quaint little bakery in the middle of nowhere is great. It has been there for along time and just keeps getting better. They have a little screened window that you can look inside to the bake shop to see what is going on. Of course, it allows the smell of the baked goods to escape into the surrounding air and you can tell you are getting close from the sweet smell of the bread and pastries.

I love malasadas and these even beat Leonard's on O`ahu (don't worry, Leonards is only on O`ahu, I will still eat their malasadas). They have different flavors of malasadas and they are so fluffy.

I had a request from my son to bring him home some poi sweet bread dinner rolls, which are hard to find on O`ahu. They survived the entire day in the car and plane ride home believe it or not.

Planning our next trip to take my family from Oregon to the Big Island and my younger brother says we need to stop by the bakery again so everyone (meaning himself) can have malasadas.
I can't wait to get back there, just have to wait 4 months, uggghhh!! Oh, and the young local gals working there are very polite and friendly, typical of the Big Island residents. I hope this bakery stay little, and keeps the local feel.

1  Thank Renee M