“Nice and quiet place”
Review of Kilauea Lodge

Kilauea Lodge
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Only stayed one night but everything was easy and smooth. Stayed in their pi i mauna house, and it was perfect for what we wanted.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed for one night in Pi'i Mauna - a two bedroomed 'cottage' about 5 miles away from the main lodge. Kilauea Lodge was just what we expected - a lodge dining experience (we had the same table for dinner and breakfast) far from anywhere. Our rooms were cute - reminded us of cottages back in Canada - Pi'i mauna is a little odd, each bedroom has it's own living room and bedroom, and both are linked by the hot tub deck. If you booked this as a family and expected young children to sleep in the other bedroom I think you might feel uncomfortable. We put the teenagers in the other room so it wasn't a problem. The hot tub was a lovely addition after a day of travelling. I read the other review that described it as Rustic and cold - I would agree with the Rustic but we found the heaters warmed up the place very quickly and liked the additional gas fireplace. However it was March and perhaps a bit warmer for us.
Dinner was delicious as was breakfast the next morning - nice to have it included in the price.
I would recommend this to friends who are good travellers willing to experience something different; I think Kilauea lodge fits in perfectly with its surroundings in a tropical rainforest. It is not a five star luxury resort but it doesn't pretend to be either.

Room Tip: If you don't want to drive after dinner, make sure you are staying somewhere near the main lodge...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in The Cottage. The decor was lovely. Beautiful stained glass window on the door and a huge stained glass window in the living room. Loved the hot towels and the coconut shampoo and lotion. The Hawaiian quilt on the bed was gorgeous. We enjoyed the kitty who slept on the porch on the wicker loveseat. The gas fireplace was so welcoming when we returned from a rainy day at the park. The food in the restaurant was delicious. We had 2 dinners there and the 2 included breakfasts. Beautiful fireplace in the restaurant, also. Wonderful staff!!! We would definitely stay here again. This is one of the nicest B & B's we have been at. Loved every minute of it!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janetalthea
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Ola'a plantation house. We LOVED it. The place is gorgeous, each room decorated nicely, well kept, in great shape and inviting. We just wanted to "be" there. My favorite memory is my daughter curled up on a window seat with a pile of the great books from the house, my son watching a video (what can I say?) in the TV corner, and my husband and I on the couch watching the fire.
The kitchen is awesomely retro - and I love the flooring! We got to enjoy the best of everything, a totally rainy day made to stay inside, a sunny day to play outside and even 2 earthquakes - including one that woke us up at night.
The lodge itself is wonderful. The office sells really great gifts (a little pricey but to be expected, I guess). We only ate breakfast at the restaurant which was included with our stay. I wondered how this would be based on reviews that some people didn't like having a separate menu for guests but some thinking it was fine. We thought it was great. We all were more than satisfied with the choices and taste of our food. I will be forever hooked on Hawaiian papaya (with a slice of lime) in part because it is served with breakfast and was the best fruit I've ever had.
I would most definitely recommend this option. It is a different experience of Hawaii and well worth it. We were able to explore much of Volcanoes National Park plus the coastal area of Puna. We got both rainforest and beach this way. It was a splurge - close to $800 for 2 nights, but great memories!

Room Tip: Ola'a great for families
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JCJake
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed in Kilauea Lodge for 2 nights recently. We absolutely loved it! The grounds were beautiful, restaurant excellent, staff welcoming and helpful. We stayed in the Ohia room . . . . very large with a gas fireplace .. . . a hot tub and lovely garden out back. The house it is located in is behind the restaurant and has a nice central room with a wood-burning fireplace, games, and a collection of DVD's. A visit to the volcano is a must if you are on the Big Island and this is a wonderful to stay while visiting there. We ate here and also at Kiawe in the village . . . . delicious Italian.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple