Volcano Village Lodge(Volcano)
US$266
US$213
US$145
Aloha Crater Lodge(Volcano)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$123
US$95
TripAdvisor
1,167 results
All reviewshot tubhale alohaplantation housemeatloafnational parkthe big islandhoneymoon suiteincluded breakfastcommon roomgas fireplaceincluded in the room ratedinner reservationstowel warmerfrench toastgrounds are beautifultwo couplestwo nights
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Hostel setup with hotel comfort! We stayed in the Nene room, which had a comfy bed and charming decor.

- linens and towels are provided (awesome, because we forgot to bring any!)
- excellent soundproofing -- except for the occasional person climbing stairs, we never heard a neighbor
- shared bathroom, but wait was minimal
- fully equipped kitchen! Fantastic for cooking in. Coffee packets are available from the check-in area and very cheap, so scoop one up when you check in (or bring one from a previous hotel.)

The area around check-in is beautiful, but we didn't have much time to explore it. Just a mile away, though, we saw a lifetime of lava at the Volcano Park!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Our family of 4 stayed at "The Cottage" for 3 nights before heading to the Kona side. Although a lot smaller than I had imagined looking at the pictures online, it was cosy, comfortable, and very convenient to Volcanoes National Park. Our 2 kids slept on the sofa bed which when pulled out, left very little room to move around in the tiny living room. Nevertheless, we loved having the fireplace, it was very much needed after coming back from the freezing temps at Mauna Kea. The towel warmer was also a big plus! We enjoyed the included breakfast and relaxing in the hot tub surrounded by lush tropical foliage. Definitely would come back should we ever return to the Big Island.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pbj_111
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed in the Cottage for two nights during our trip to the national park. Very convenient to the park. The Cottage was a great, quiet place to stay-- separate living room and bedroom, very comfortable and clean. A sit-down breakfast (several choices) was also included at the lodge restaurant each morning, which was a good way to start the day before heading into the park. Service was prompt and friendly.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rsyddy
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed with our 3 teenage kids (17, 16 and 14) for 3 nights in Ola'a Plantation House and they loved it. Clean, comfortable and private. A great place to relax while taking in Volcano National Park (house is literally a mile outside the park). Kitchen is fully equiped. If you plan to cook for yourself buy groceries first in Hilo as there isn't much around the Volcano area. Great breakfast included at the lodge restaurant. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night in May and wished we had spent at least one more night at Volcano, maybe two. We loved the lodge and loved visiting Kilauea volcano area.

We stayed in The Cottage and loved our choice. It had a nice little living room with a two-seater couch, coffee table, gas heater and I think an armchair (I probably should have written this review sooner). There was a separate bedroom with a door between the living room and bedroom. I believe the bed was a queen - it was very comfy although they could have used drapes over the shutters as light comes in early. The bathroom was small but cozy with a towel warmer and nice amenities.

On the website, I thought The Cottage was far away from the "hotel" itself but it was just steps to the office and our bedroom window looked out onto two other rooms (you couldn't hear anyone else but you wanted to keep that window covered or they could maybe see in from their walkway into their rooms). I felt really safe here and loved having the little extra room that a living room offers.

Staying in Volcano was really neat - it's a rainforest so it's chilly and wet, which just made us feel cozier inside. The room was great - no dampness like I read about on other small lodge sites for other places. The office people were really responsive and nice. The included breakfast at the lodge (steps away) was really good - they had a wide selection and it was easy to get there, order, go on our way.

Beware that it seemed a little challenging to find a place to eat "as late as" 8:30 pm. We visited the volcano at night, which was WELL worth it. The office will give you directions on where to go to see the caldera at night - it's extremely easy and not far. You have to buy a pass to go into the volcano (I think it was like $12 for a car and good for a whole week - great deal). Kilauea glows so brightly at night - definitely go. We also checked out the lava tube (I think Thurston Lava Tube?) at dusk, which was mysterious and a little spooky (I would highly recommend getting there with a little daylight left and checking it out as darkness descends - pretty neat).

Well worth packing the following for the Lodge and volcano visit:
Rainjackets, flashlights, hiking boots or good sneakers, long pants. If you're going to visit at night, I'd also recommend a hat and gloves (it's cold at the overlook of Kilauea at night with a lot of wind). I wore my thin rainjacket over a long sleeved henley, and added my husband's jacket over mine (yup) as well as gloves - I had my jacket hood up and then I was warm enough.

We hiked the volcano trail (it's more walking than hiking). Super cool. Muddy so plan on that with packing wet clothes afterwards. This is where I wished I had hiking pants or something different than the jeans I had planned to also wear on the plane!

I highly recommend both this lodge and more than the one day at the volcano we did!!

Room Tip: We loved The Cottage.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple