“Make a reservation”
Review of Ohelo Cafe

Ohelo Cafe
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Volcano
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We ate here three times while in Volcano. Make a reservation or you will be waiting. The food was very good all three times, and the service was good except the second time when I think ou order got shufled. We had appetizers then it was a bery long wait for the main course. Otherwise food came quickly the other times. The menu has something for everyone, some of it changes nightly, and there is very good thin crust pizza if nothing else tickles you r fancy.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

My wife and I visited the Ohelo Cafe twice for lunch and dinner. Both times without reservations and we’re seated and served in less than 30 minutes. The food was as good or better than in Kona and we’ve eaten in several nice places in Kona. For lunch I had Marlin and my wife had veggie pasta. We both had Ahi tuna for dinner. I love good food and this was excellent. Volcano and the Ohelo Cafe are in the middle of no where and we can’t recomend this place enough. When you visit The Kilauea Volcano this is a must go to!

Reviewed 14 January 2018

We showed up thinking it was an easy place to get into fro dinner. This place is popular with quite a following. There were others waiting that had reservations and we didn’t. The owner came to me after he settled in the others and gave us a nice table. The menu was diverse but we ordered the pizza. It was excellent as was the salad. Very good servers even though it was quite busy. This area closes up early but this place was going for a while. I believe this is the best place to eat in this area.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

We were the first party to arrive one evening in December. Our Inn Keeper recommended the place and the menu looked interesting enough. We placed all 5 of our order and within 5 minutes all our dishes were brought out from the kitchen. Normally I'd love the quick service but after taking a bite of my ribs I realized they were cooked on a different day, only to have been microwaved and served over some really good mash potatoes and covered in a gravy / bbq sauce concoction. The ribs were warm on the outside and cold at the bone and I didn't see the point of having them sent back for additional microwaving. We had two orders of ribs and both were sent that way. Other dishes were better, but I couldn't help but be disappointed knowing their menu seemed to be cutting corners while charging Hawaii pricing. Less than what the resorts charge, but still more than anything you would pay on the main land.
We also had a Rib Eye that was OK, fetechini with prawns that was interesting and a salad that my wife enjoyed.

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

Had lunch here and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was! My daughter ordered the vegetable pasta dish, my son ordered the lamb, and the rest of us ordered the seafood pasta. Everyone liked what they ordered and all want to come back again. In fact, after eating lunch I made a reservation for dinner for the next evening. The menu changes daily so I can’t wait to see what’s on the menu next!