“Lagoon makes this hotel”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Redwood Shores, California, United States
“Lagoon makes this hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the Hilton, 3 nights at the Mauna Lani (see my other review of the ML, pure paradise and so relaxing).

The Hilton had a lot going for it. Big room with 2 double beds plus a small couch (not pullout, but great for a little one to sleep on). We had a cabana room on the first floor of the Lagoon Tower. We loved our location. We could walk right out the sliding door on our patio to the pools, the dolphin pool, the lagoon in about 1 minute. The room itself was very worn and dated. I almost died when I first saw the room. Tiled floors with dark grout, very dark, obviously worn, bathroom not that great. But as we opened the slider and got to see the full ocean view, let the light in, and enjoy that we were basically a stone's throw away from everything we wanted to do, the room seemed much better. The beds were very comfortable, the closet was huge and great for storing stuff, and other than the worn look it was a great setup for 4 people. Also, because the cabana rooms are a floor down, we didn't hear birds at all, and I'm a very light sleeper. That was a huge bonus for me.
The rooms are very well soundproofed, we had a connecting room and we didn't hear a peep from above us or on either side.
We saw turtles, eels and lots of fish in the lagoon, and even my youngest could snorkel with us. That was the highlight of the Hilton for me. My kids loved the pool with the waterfall, they loved swimming under it, and my oldest loved the slide. The grounds were lovely, very well kept, and one of the nicest things about the Hilton.
The dolphins were cool, but I felt like their pond was so small, and it was so commercial and touristy it didn't really resonate with me. My kids thought it was cool, but not overly so. For some reason my kids loved the birds (parrots and macaw) in the lobby, and couldn't get enough of having them sit on their arms.
We had heard the food was mediocre, so we avoided all food except a latte at the Kimobean, which made a good latte.
The concierges we spoke to were very friendly and helpful. The front desk and pool desks (handing out towels) were friendly and easy going.
We did not enjoy having to pay for self parking, but that was the only thing we paid extra for. We didn't rent any equipment at the Lagoon, we bought two inflatables from the pool desk (where you get the towels) for 7.50 each, the bargain of the century. My kids happily played with those the whole time.
I had heard there was so much walking involved, but I didn't think there was that much, and it was good to get some exercise. I walked over to the Ocean tower and it took me about 3 minutes, and the walk from Lagoon Tower to self parking was about 5-7 depending upon where you parked your car. My family didn't even bother to walk over to any other towers, we had everything we wanted right in front of us.
We really enjoyed our time at the Hilton, and are glad that we stayed there. I would not have wanted to stay there all 6 nights, though, and am glad we moved on to the Mauna Lani to experience a different kind of hotel.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the location of our cabana room on the first floor in the lagoon tower. We didn...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Jennifer M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,855)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hamburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

The Hilton had beautiful rooms and property but was far from town which kept one from eating at other restaurants, making choices limited and pricey.Train is slow at hotel to take to diff parts and walking is just as fast if not faster to get where you want to go around the hotel. Great dolphin pool with 11 dolphins. Need a car to really see things and experience fun things around the island.

Room Tip: Ask for near the Dolphin pools to watch them or the swimming pools. Other parts are quieter though.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

very accomodating rooms but be aware of the very loud birds at the end of the village in one of the tower. There is a manmade lagoon around the rooms where birds can get in and out all night and boy, even with the door shut you can hear them screaming and they start again at 5am in the morning. We had to change room, I am a light sleeper.We liked the little bar that serves food with music not too far from the main entrance. Outside the village ROI is always the number one, all other restaurants are very forgettable. The brunch place inside gets very crowded and runs out of food continuosly. We only went there once. Be aware that it's a very expansive village and although they have kiosk kind caffes, one cup of coffee is 5$. Great place if you are travelling with kids but there is no sandy beaches, just the manmade sand beach around the lagoon.

Room Tip: if you want to be away from the crows go at the end of the village where you get majestic views and...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

My wife and I needed a respite from winter and the Waikoloa sounded like the perfect fit. Our stay was during the third week of February, 2012. We had a few nights that were free courtesy of the Hilton Honors program and some we paid for. Kudos to Hilton Honors, we have never had a problem with them and one strong reason we favor their program over others. It did mean we had to change rooms mid way during our stay ( the "free room" was actually priced slightly higher) but that was handled with a minimum of fuss by the Hilton staff.

This resort is quite large and beautifully landscaped. We enjoyed just walking around the property each day. The lagoon is a focus of the property and since my wife and I enjoy snorkeling, we did check it out. Our favorite snorkeling spot on the Big Island is Two Step, but the lagoon certainly had a nice variety of fish. We also saw a Hawaiian Moustache Conger Eel in the lagoon poking his head out of a rock, something I haven't seen before. The turtles that frequent the lagoon were a pleasure to see. They seem to know all about tourists and avoid you.

Both of our rooms, one in the ocean tower and one in the lagoon tower were similar in size and construction. They both had nice ocean views although with the lagoon tower we had the bonus of looking over the Dolphin pool. It was entertaining to sit on the balcony and watch the show. Our room was quiet, the bed very comfortable and housekeeping did a nice job. Good job done here.

We availed ourselves of the services on the property and signed up for a whale watching tour on the Adventure X power boat. Although I see the beauty of the sailboat also offered, the power boat is recommended for this adventure. We saw many hump back whales and the Hilton did a nice job of arranging it for us. There is a $15 service charge per ticket that the Hilton adds on but it made the logistics easier and we thought it was worth it.

The dining at the resort was overall, quite good. We ate at the Chinese restaurant, the Lagoon restaurant which serves mostly bar type food, the Big Island Breakfast buffet, and the high end restaurant called KPC (Kamuela Provision Company). The Big Island Buffet was quite good, don't miss out on this. Although not inexpensive, the food quality was quite good. I particularly enjoyed the fresh papaya and pineapple available each day. They also had some of the most beautiful and delicious strawberries. Two servers stood out, David and Cheryl. They both did a fine job at the 7 breakfasts we ate here.

The Chinese restaurant was good,as well. I liked that they didn't over salt the food as is common at most Asian restaurants. The food was good but not spectacular. Overall, a solid B.

The Kamuela Provision Company was the most expensive and most disappointing of the restaurants at the Hilton property. Even for a Hilton the pricing was high for the value received. I ordered the mahi and my wife had the short ribs. I had a beer and my wife a glass of wine. Neither of us had dessert. The mahi portion was modest and only came plated with some fried spinach. The short ribs dinner looked better to me, buyer's regret. The mahi dinner did not have any vegetables unless you consider tiny pieces of fried spinach, vegetables. The cost of dinner for the two of us was $135 including tip. I find the increasing tendency of restaurants such as this one to charge extra for vegetables to be annoying as if $135 wasn't enough to pay for a dinner for two. If there was any "miss" at the Hilton it was KPC. Overall, an ok dinner, but not a good value at all. We subsequently ate dinner at the local Macaroni Grill a short drive from the Hilton property and as much as I don't like to eat at chain restaurants, the meal was quite good. The Hilton Waikoloa has a strong Asian emphasis in decorating and restaurants as you might expect since they apparently have a large Japanese clientele, but it strikes me that what this property lacks is a medium priced American style restaurant. I think it would be a big hit particularly if they had some good local seafood offerings, vegetables included of course!

Overall, the hotel staff did a very nice job and we would come back here in a minute. In fact, my wife and I talked about that very thing for next winter! I think you would enjoy staying at the Hilton. It is low key. Just don't bring too many clothes. A couple pair of shorts is adequate along with a pair of long pants for the more dress up nights. One of the local secrets if it is one anymore, is the local Costco. Go shop there, and if you need a Hawaiian shirt this is the place to go to, and they are made in Hawaii! We did notice that very few people used the beautiful pools on the resort. We tried one night and they were very cold, even colder than the ocean. It would be costly to heat them with natural gas, but heatiing these pools with solar is the obvious choice and inexpensive to boot. I am surprised that they haven't done this already.

Good job Hilton Waikoloa! We enjoyed our stay and will come back next winter. I can taste the fresh papaya already!

Room Tip: We stayed in both the lagoon and ocean towers. Although the lagoon tower is more expensive, you are...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas K
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Great resort for kids and lounging around -- they've got all the amenities right there on the resort, from restaurants to swimming & slides, to a tram and boat that get you around the huge resort. Like a Disney resort, everything on-campus costs a bundle. The breakfast is $25 each.

Like a Disney resort (or a casino), getting off campus is difficult and takes a long time as you can't just step out of your room and into the parking lot. It takes about 10 minutes to from your room to the tram to the lobby to the parking lot, and then another 5 minutes to drive out of the whole complex. They do everything they can to keep you on the resort to spend big bucks.

The accommodations are decent and the campus is very nice. Greg at HGV is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

If, however, you want to drive around the island and discover, this isn't really the perfect place for you. This is a place for the lazy lounging type vacationer and/or the vacationer with kids.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
2.3 km away
4.1 km away
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
15.2 km away
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!