We stayed for 3 nights at the Hilton, 3 nights at the Mauna Lani (see my other review of the ML, pure paradise and so relaxing).
The Hilton had a lot going for it. Big room with 2 double beds plus a small couch (not pullout, but great for a little one to sleep on). We had a cabana room on the first floor of the Lagoon Tower. We loved our location. We could walk right out the sliding door on our patio to the pools, the dolphin pool, the lagoon in about 1 minute. The room itself was very worn and dated. I almost died when I first saw the room. Tiled floors with dark grout, very dark, obviously worn, bathroom not that great. But as we opened the slider and got to see the full ocean view, let the light in, and enjoy that we were basically a stone's throw away from everything we wanted to do, the room seemed much better. The beds were very comfortable, the closet was huge and great for storing stuff, and other than the worn look it was a great setup for 4 people. Also, because the cabana rooms are a floor down, we didn't hear birds at all, and I'm a very light sleeper. That was a huge bonus for me.
The rooms are very well soundproofed, we had a connecting room and we didn't hear a peep from above us or on either side.
We saw turtles, eels and lots of fish in the lagoon, and even my youngest could snorkel with us. That was the highlight of the Hilton for me. My kids loved the pool with the waterfall, they loved swimming under it, and my oldest loved the slide. The grounds were lovely, very well kept, and one of the nicest things about the Hilton.
The dolphins were cool, but I felt like their pond was so small, and it was so commercial and touristy it didn't really resonate with me. My kids thought it was cool, but not overly so. For some reason my kids loved the birds (parrots and macaw) in the lobby, and couldn't get enough of having them sit on their arms.
We had heard the food was mediocre, so we avoided all food except a latte at the Kimobean, which made a good latte.
The concierges we spoke to were very friendly and helpful. The front desk and pool desks (handing out towels) were friendly and easy going.
We did not enjoy having to pay for self parking, but that was the only thing we paid extra for. We didn't rent any equipment at the Lagoon, we bought two inflatables from the pool desk (where you get the towels) for 7.50 each, the bargain of the century. My kids happily played with those the whole time.
I had heard there was so much walking involved, but I didn't think there was that much, and it was good to get some exercise. I walked over to the Ocean tower and it took me about 3 minutes, and the walk from Lagoon Tower to self parking was about 5-7 depending upon where you parked your car. My family didn't even bother to walk over to any other towers, we had everything we wanted right in front of us.
We really enjoyed our time at the Hilton, and are glad that we stayed there. I would not have wanted to stay there all 6 nights, though, and am glad we moved on to the Mauna Lani to experience a different kind of hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Let the aloha spirit wash over you in one of the world's largest and most beautiful resorts: Hilton Waikoloa Village. Experience the magic of Hawaii at our hotel, an oasis dotted with lagoons, pools, water slides, a wide variety of restaurants and bars, and staffed by a team of accommodating hospitality professionals who are here to make sure you're enjoying your island time. Settle into your well-appointed guest room, explore all that we have to offer, and soak up the Hawaiian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Waikoloa Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Waikoloa Village Hotel Waikoloa
- Hawaii Hilton Waikoloa Village
- Hilton Village Hotel Waikoloa
- Hilton Village Waikoloa
- Waikoloa Hilton
- Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort