1,540 results
All reviews water slides lazy river across the street pool area high end appliances oasis restaurant sandy bottom top of the line the kitchen mountain view pool staff kauai exclusive management washer and dryer ocean front through vrbo rented unit parking lot
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Our 4 night stay at the Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort and Spa was perfect. We wanted some peace and quiet after a few busy days on our home island (Oahu) so we flew here with our two children and it was exactly what we needed. The resort rooms were beautiful, way beyond expectation. The pool was perfect and the location of the resort was fantastic. A grocery store directly across the street and several great restaurants near by.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank janwH3854JF
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Rec'd recommendation from travel agent. I have a large family so space is always appreciated. Online, everything looked great and the reviews were solid so we took a chance on this property rather than a hotel. A few issues took away from the experience a bit...We had a flight delay, and when we arrived, there was no one to greet us. Another family had been lingering in the lobby for a bit until a rumpled security card came down, and gave us some instructions on how to enter the unit. There really wasn't any type of orientation other than a wave off in the direction we were supposed to go. We arrived at our unit, and it was very well appointed and had an upscale feel definitely. The sofa was worn, which was a departure from the rest of the place and disappointing. I appreciated the fact it was very clean. First night was fine...I concur the sofa beds are terrible. We were able to secure an airmattress however, and that worked fine for one of my children. We spent the first day just getting used to the time difference and relaxing. The property reviews on landscape were great, but didn't prove out upon review in the daylight. Everything looked a bit "tired"....not as lush and manicured as you would think...Pool is great...although there are all these arbitrary rules about pool use that were inconsistently applied and frankly annoying. We were told by front desk staff we could bring a small cooler for snacks and drinks, though glass was prohibited. Makes perfect sense. Various days, guests had coolers at near their chairs and tables. However, at different points, various staff disallowed for coolers, and were fairly rude about it. As there is no place to purchase drinks or light snacks (note even a Coke or ice machine) while at the pool...and as it is more a "residence" feel..it was hugely inconvenient to walk across the entire property to get a drink...As I have small children, it would mean dragging every body out of the water, to go back to the unit to get a drink..It was silly...and some of the staff were incredibly confrontational about such an issue. Almost everyone there complained and a policy change is in order...I think it would be different if there was onsite snack/drink service (there used to be but it closed evidently) and revenue could be lost...but to have some random staff member interrupt my very expensive vacation to argue about a Coke can seemed a bit ridiculous. Also, staff were like pool Nazi's with re: to activity...there were so many "no's"...it almost wasn't worth the effort...No floats, no rings, no toys, no slide (except at certain times), no cooler...and by God, if you don't have the right Outrigger towel, the practically call the cops on you!!! I watched a group get harassed because they were guests of an owner, and had brought their own towels. It was crazy...BTW: the towel service can be sketchy..and they expect you to get a set for your stay, and wash yourself. I am good with that...but while that is going on, and if you bring a different one, please don't call in SWAT! Really, really rude and hostile...again..dumb.

As the day went on, I became more aware of the property and it's lay out...and it became clear what we had booked, and the unit we were assigned, were not the same. When asking the front desk to clarify, no one could address the inconsistency....What was shown and described online, what we paid for, did NOT align...No one would give us a straight answer, and it all seemed rather odd. Some staff assigned to clean the condo actually were the ones to confirm we indeed were in the wrong unit. I was put off by this, and only in conference with the travel agent and ultimately a property manager did the issue get resolved. In essence, I did not get what I had paid for, and they were cagey about it. They ultimately gave us a refund to address the difference, but it really left a bad impression.

The location was okay...in the middle. Def not upscale around you, but the resort is contained and it always felt safe. Very convenient to have the grocery across the street....no real problems with traffic or anything. Beach really isn't one you can play at...but it is lovely nonetheless...Cyrus at the concierge desk was friendly and helpful with regard to activities. Book early, they fill fast...

Oh...fitness center sucks. Our family works out a lot...very small space, very, very basic equipment....and half of it didn't work. It was often crowded (often with young children), with poor ventilation....seeing some upgrade here and some age restrictions would be a plus....If I am paying the bill, I really shouldn't have to wait to use the only working bike because a 7 yr old is on it...And really, I have like 50 kids...and I understand...but it was a little crazy....

Would I stay again...probably not. I love the idea of larger space, and the unit was super great for our family, but everyday there was some irritation that just made it feel like a hassle....just not whatI want on a vacation and unexpected with re: to how much we paid for our time there....

Room Tip: Ask for oceanfront...and really get clear about what unit you are getting and where it is...
2  Thank Southlaketxn
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Great family destination, outstanding pool and rooms. Check-in was a bit delayed but everything was very positive. Interaction with Staff was very positive. Booked through Costco.com Travel but units are available through private owners as well. Oasis is open 4-10pm, good food but very expensive (most of the restaurants in Kauai are!)

2  Thank BornToBeMild5
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed at the Waipouli Beach Resort for one week in August. We booked it, along with air and rental car, through Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays.

Our condo (G205) had two bedrooms (king bed, queen bed), two full baths (each had a huge jacuzzi tub and the master had a shower, too), another 3/4 bath (sink, toilet and shower), a full kitchen, a living/dining area, a dining lanai, and a sitting lanai. We had a partial mountain view--not as great as a beach view, but not a view of the parking lot either (and we did not look onto another lanai). We also had full-sized washer/dryer. Three TVs (bedrooms and living room), but we didn't watch them so I can't comment on the channel selection.

The beds were the most-comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. There was A/C, which understandably shuts off when you open the sliding doors (three sliders: two in the bedrooms and one in the living room).

The bathrooms had travel-sized shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap. The kitchen had dishwasher and dishwashing soap. There was a coffee maker (and two sachets of coffee), toaster, electric kettle, and all dishes, pans, and silverware. We did end up buying a steaming basket at Safeway. You will also need to buy/bring napkins and salt/pepper.

There was daily maid service to make the beds and replace towels, but you need to wash your own dishes. We could have used a broom to sweep the kitchen after we tracked in beach sand. The kitchen has a two-drawer dishwasher; I don't have one of these, so it was hard for me to load it efficiently.

The resort was clean and quiet (even though it's right off the main street in Kapa'a). The pool is huge and fun...it made me wish my daughter was little again, because it's a great pool for kids. There are three whirlpool spas; one is supposed to be adults only, but families were not heeding the rule. There are two sets of gas grills by the pool. There is a beach that is good for sunbathing or walking, but not swimming (the water is too rough). Disappointingly, there was some trash on the beach.

Check in and check out was quick and friendly. There is a Safeway and Starbucks directly across the street. We thought the location of the resort on the island was perfect, because we could go either north or south easily. Twenty-minute drive to the Costco in Lihue.

5  Thank mammothfan
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Location is central to many activities on the island. Scenic beach but not good for swimming. Pool area is very nice, but the few areas of shade fill up quickly.
The rooms are are well furnished and the kitchen is excellent. The sofa bed was really uncomfortable as the springs were sticking out...recommend a few towels to create a mattress pad.
The regular beds are very comfortable. One thing that really bugged me was the wooden screen separating the bedroom from the bathroom. It didn't offer much privacy other than visually.
Check in efficient and friendly. Late check out couldn't be accommodated, which is understandable, but we were able to utilize the hospitality suite to change/shower later on the day of our departure.
Not a hotel, so don't come here expecting those services. It's a condo, but has all the amenities one would expect. One nice thing was they provided a reusable shopping bag, which is necessry on the island.
Grocery shopping and restaurants nearby. We did not try the restaurant/bar, but heard good things about them.
Get up early and enjoy the sunrise.

Room Tip: ocean front nice
1  Thank Nogophers