1,537 results
All reviews water slides lazy river across the street pool area high end appliances oasis restaurant top of the line the kitchen mountain view pool staff kauai exclusive management washer and dryer ocean front cleaning fee through vrbo parking lot rented unit
Reviewed 9 September 2010

My wife, 2 kids (ages 7 & 10 years) and myself had a very enjoyable stay at the Waipouli August 22-29th 2010. We rented directly thru Outrigger & paid for the best room available which is the 2 bedroom, 3 bathroom Royal Ocean Front. We were on the 4th floor in room H401. This is the only room in this category that has 2 double beds in one room & a king bed in the other. We requested to be in this room a couple of weeks before check-in. The 2 doubles worked great for the kids.
The room comes w/ 3 balconies & the 2 smaller balconies were totally not usable because of the large quantity of bird poop all over the balcony floor. The largest balcony still had quite a bit. I cleaned the large balcony myself & it stayed perfectly clean the entire 7 nights we stayed there. I do understand a small amount of bird poop on the balcony, but the amount there was totally not ok. We have NEVER had this problem at other Hotels we have stayed at in Hawaii. Another problem we had were the pillows. They were so dirty! There were no pillow case protecters on any of the pillows. There were stains on all of them, one with blood. My wife washed one & it came out perfectly clean. Again we have NEVER had this problem at any hotel we have stayed at. The coffee maker looked very dirty & so we didn't use it. Maybe it was water stains. The other problem we had is the room was very warm. The AC is set to 76 degrees & you can turn it down but we had a problem keeping it at a lower temp. We are use to having AC at home, so the room was very warm for sleeping.
Once leaving the hotel to go just 2 miles to Lydgate Beach Park it took us 35 minutes! Traffic hasn't even been that bad on Oahu for us.. They are doing construction, so be prepared for delays. The office closes at 4pm on Saturdays, (I went at 4:30pm) so we were not able to print our boarding passes for the next day. There really is very little service at this hotel which is fine, but just keep in mind.
Despite the above complaints we LOVED Kauai & we would even stay at the Waipouli again. The kids loved the pool, slides, & restaurant The Oasis. My wife & I loved The Oasis for dinner, but lunch was just ok. Service for lunch was slow & the food was just ok. We ate there again at Happy Hour, which the food for my wife & I was terrible. All you can get off the menu was a choice of 2 different tacos & a corn dish. The tacos tasted so bad! The drinks were great & the kids could get anything off the kids menu so the kids were happy. In front of the hotel is a really great bakery Sweet Marie's. They have dairy free & gluten free muffins which were wonderful.
We found the snorkeling some of the easiest we have ever experienced. Compared to Oahu & Maui we found Kauai to be the easiest snorkeling w/ kids. Lydgate was the easiest, followed by Poipu, then Tunnels.
One last thing, our 7 year old daughter was x-rayed at the airport without us being told first, so pay close attention at the airport if this is of concern to you.
We do love Kauai, our new "favorite" island, but Maui & Oahu have been great too.

5  Thank scubadadSeattle
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Excellent place to stay!

I was traveling with a group of 11 people aging from child (10 yrs old) to seniors (79 yrs old). We all enjoyed the place!

Check-in was easy. Note - don't take all of your bags out of your car and drag them into the lobby at check-in! You will most likely be driving to your unit, so leave everything in the car until you know where you're going to be located! When we booked this vacation, we were told we would have VIP status and get room upgrades. Let's be honest - there seem to be no such thing as a room upgrade here unless you want to pay for it! We had 2 1-bedroom units and 1 2-bedroom unit with partial mountain view. When we asked to upgrade to 2-bedroom units, we were told no. When we asked for ocean view, we were told no. When we asked for late check-out, we were told to come back on the check-out date and they'd see what was available. Basically - that was the diplomatic way of saying no!

The 1-bedroom unit I stayed in was very nice. It was clean when we got there, with fresh towels and sheets. I did notice that since these are privately owned, they are each decorated slightly differently. My sister also had a 1 bedroom unit without a dresser! Another thing to note - there don't seem to be any doubles here! I asked for a 1 bedroom with 2 doubles and the check-in people said that they don't have any of those. All 1 bedroom units have a king and pull-out sofa. My parents had a 2 bedroom which had a king in 1 bedroom and a queen in the other bedroom, along with the pull-out in the living area. The mattresses were quite comfortable, although the pull-out in my room was on a strange angle. We were all so tired at the end of the day that everyone slept despite the angle.

The bathrooms were very nice. Large sink area in the main part of the bath with lots of room for stuff on the counter. Huge soaking tub - no jets. Lots of doors! I felt like I was in the old Get Smart show where Max went through all the doors at the end? The bathroom is set up like this - off the bedroom is a bathroom with a toilet, soaking tub and huge vanity with 2 sinks. Attached to that through a heavy door is a small room with a sink and another heavy door. Attached to that room is another small room with a toilet and large stall shower, with a heavy pocket door. The main bath had tons of lighting, which I like. The smaller sink area had good lighting. The toilet/shower room had 1 small recessed light, so it was dark in the shower. There was no light directly over the shower.

No for the best part of this unit - the kitchen and laundry... The appliances were top of the line Fisher & Paykel, Sub Zero and Wolf. The washer & dryer were both Whirlpool Duet, which weren't my favorite. I found that the dryer seemed to take forever to dry. The only dryer setting that worked really well was Hot, and I only use that for towels at home. I had to put most of the stuff in the dryer for 2-3 cycles before the stuff was dry. That seemed to be normal for all the dryers in the resort. The washer was fine and quite frankly, having laundry in my room was wonderful! The stove and oven were difficult for me to navigate initially! Also, I expected the stove to heat up really quickly, which it didn't. I guess I thought it was one of those new convection stoves that boil water in 30 seconds when it was just a regular electric stove with a smooth top. The oven was another puzzle for me - lots of buttons and features. They both looked fantastic and got the job done! The dishwasher was where I had my problems. The 2 drawer dishwasher looks great, but I had trouble loading them! I just couldn't seem to get the thing loaded so that I had alot in there! I didn't find them to clean that well either... I don't know if it was the water or deteregent. Something just wasn't right!

The beach area was completely unswimmable! There was rocks and it just wasn't anything that you could swim in. I never saw anyone in the ocean during the 8 days we were there. There was a monk seal on the beach one day, so a big part of it was roped off. The pool was great! There was this gravel-stuff in the shallow area that was really cool. The water was always clean and the pool decks were clean with no garbage around. There were some cute kittens around for 3 days, then they disappeared... There are 4 big barbeque grills by the pool that are available on a first-come first-served basis. We used them quite a few times during our stay. The water slides are tons of fun! Be warned that if you seem like you're having too good of a time, the pool police will come out and stare you down! You can only go down the slide on your butt, feet first. If you do something wrong, the meanest women yell and then glare at you! Another thing to note - you only get 6 beach towels per room per day! A few times we went to the ocean then washed the towels in our room because we knew we wouldn't be able to get new ones!

If you're planning to shop and cook in your room - don't go to the Safeway across the street! You'll need CPR when you see the prices! There are a few local grocery stores around - I think there's a Food Mart right up the street that has more resonable prices. Also, there is a Walmart on the island but it's not a Super Walmart, so the food choices are very limited. Get yourself a store card and you'll save alot of money!

Overall, this resort was fantastic! I can't wait to go back...

5  Thank stormycatNJ
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We just got back from Kauai on Monday, and I would give anything to be back there right now. We spent 7 nights on Kauai and stayed at the Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort the entire time. Our unit was G201, which was oceanfront and had 2 BR and 3 BA. I highly recommend the oceanfront units on the 2nd floor or higher. It was a lot of space for just 2 people, but we got an excellent deal by booking early through Orbitz.

I read extensively about accommodations on the island and was looking for a place that had a good location and nice ammenities. I was prepared for less-than-stellar service after reading other reviews, but was pleasantly surprised about how friendly the concierge was. Let's be clear - this is not a typical hotel. People are not catering to you at all times, but that was not important to us.

Service - Generally friendly and would provide recommendations upon request. They don't roll out the red carpet, but you can't really expect that if you're staying at a condominium complex. My experience - the nicer you are to them, the nicer they are to you.

Room - Our unit was spectacular. The lanai was on the side of building H, so it overlooked the vacant lot to the south of the complex, but our sliding doors in the living room and dining room opened up to the ocean. It was amazing. The showers were huge and the kitchen was very accomodating. The housekeeper comes daily and does some modest cleaning. If you expect vacuumed floors, cleaned sinks, and washed dishes everyday, you will be disappointed. The resort is trying to be "green" so unless you request new towels, don't expect them. They made our bed daily and put away our dishes, so I was happy with that.

Ammenities - The pool is fantastic. Outrigger is a great place for families, so there were certainly kids occupying the main portion of the pool where the slides are located. However, the pool is huge and there are lots of places to go if you want more privacy. My husband and I didn't mind the environment at all, and we actually agreed it would get boring sitting in silence in an empty pool. There are three hot tubs, so again, you have options. The beach was fantastic and not very crowded. I wouldn't advise swimming in the ocean off of the beach because of lava formations and strong currents, but it is certainly beautiful and a great place to relax at the beginning or end of the day. The workout facility is sub-par, but why work out inside when you can run on the new bike path that is minutes from the Outrigger or take Stacy's Boot Camp class on Tuesdays. I even got my husband to take the class, and he agreed that it was a great workout. We highly recommend it.

Food - We went to the Safeway on the first night and stocked up. It's pricey, but you can't be surprised by that ...you're on an island. We actually cooked the majority of our meals in the condo and made drinks to take down to the pool. It was definitely a cost saver. We ate at the restaurant at Outrigger (which is not affiliated in any way with Outrigger) and had an excellent meal. There is usually live music and the atmosphere at night is great. I highly recommend the Ulu Curry with the fresh catch. There are also pretty decent drink specials at happy hour.

Other food recommendations on the island - TNT Burgers (just north down the street), Red Hot Mamas (last "restaurant" before the end of the road on the north shore), Beach House (pricey but delicious - go at sunset), and Oasis.

Activities - play golf on the Prince course for the twighlight rate (it's only $70, as opposed to $200 and the pro is very, very nice); Bubbles Below for scuba diving (we did the Napali Coast 2-tank dive - beautiful scenery, very knowledgable divemaster (Joe), and delicious food onboard); Queen's Bath (rent snorkel gear from Boss Frogs for the week...it's worth it); rent kayaks from the Hawaiian Village and kayak/hike to Secret Falls (avoid the tours! If you luck out like we did, you will avoid the crowd at the fals and will have an amazing experience!); find Secret Beach - it's worth it if you are wanting to get away from all the tourists.

Clearly we had an amazing trip, and the Outrigger was a huge contributing factor. If you want someone to cater to you and to avoid a family atmosphere, this may not be the place for you. We felt it was nice to stay at a place where honeymooners weren't a dime a dozen. I can't say enough good things!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank HoosierTravels683
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We stayed in a garden view first floor unit, which was perfect for us as we could come and go easily and the kids could play outside on the lanai (where we had breakfast each morning). The rooms were clean, everything was in top condition and we loved the high end appliances. Anything we ran out of (dishwasher detergent, broken cup, clean dish towels) was immediately supplied to us by a very responsive staff. The pool was gorgeous and the grandkids loved the water slides and the sand bottom wading pool. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the location was perfect, being centered on the coconut coast and within reasonable drives to both the north and south of the island.

1  Thank stringteach
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We had a fantastic 5 night stay at one of the ocean view condo's at the Waipouli. The Condo had a fantastic kitchen, spacious living room, comfy king size bed, good air conditioning and wonderful big Bathroom with hot tub and 2 toilets. The grounds were large and had nice clean BBQ's and a meandering pool with water slides, hot whirlpool's and waterfalls. Unfortunately the pool was highly chlorinated and very shallow which made it a little unpleasant, but ideal for kids. The beach here was not that amazing and was mainly reef which was not good for swimming, but we hired a jeep and spent a lot of time on the North Shore around Ke'e Beach and Hanalei which was a lovely 40 min drive away. There are 2 massive supermarkets just across the road as well as other stores that have everything you need for your stay safeway was definitely more expensive - ask to be a member, it cost's nothing and you will save loads of $$$!! For a tour, Captain Andy's Rafting adventure on the Na Pali Coast and Kolalau is an ABSOLUTE must, but not for the elderly or un-adventurous. We would stay at the Waipouli again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple