“Great Place, unreal views and experience needed a few minor changes”

Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
Vancouver, wa
“Great Place, unreal views and experience needed a few minor changes”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Staff and facility were both very fulfilling and warm. Food was great, but could have had more selections and better priced. When considering renting the bikes, it was a deterrent that they could not be ridden on trails, thus we elected not to ride / rent. Would have been fun.

Mountain bikes with the ability to ride on trails as the scenery is truly majestic and would have been ideal.

Thanks!

1 Thank RobotoVancouver_wa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Indonesian first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Truly I'd like to tell you that this place doesn't live up to the hype and that you should stay away. How else am I supposed to preserve the peace and quiet of this spectacular hotel?

We stayed at the Lodge for the first time about 2 years ago, and the visit was so relaxing that we declared we would absolutely return if given the chance. This time around we arranged for a six-night stay in a Koele Deluxe room. Our balcony provided views of the landscaped gardens, lawn bowling facilities, and swimming pool and our room provided a secluded retreat from the rigors of modern life. Everything at the hotel, and on Lanai in general, moves at a slower pace, but when you settle in and take a deep breath, it won't bother you.

Much has been said about the rooms and the public spaces of the hotel, so I won't go into extraordinary detail, except to say that the Terrace Dining Room is a beautiful place to enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

The swimming pool is small, but a pleasant place to spend an afternoon. An attendant will set up your chair and provide food and drinks from the Lodge if you request it. Hourly snacks are complimentary. For a true beach/pool experience, you'll need to take the 20-minute shuttle ride to Manele Bay.

There is a game room with shuffleboard, foosball, and billiards as well as a bar that serves snacks and drinks. High tea is available most days around 3:00.

In general, the staff is eager to please, but as others have mentioned, some of the front desk workers aren't up to the high standard of the hotel.

If you have a Platinum American Express card, be sure to take advantage of the FHR benefits. The breakfast inclusion in particular is worthwhile.

1 Thank PalmRR
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2012

As I start to write this, I am looking at a very bad review of this Hotel given by a Mr. James Hunt and I find it most unfortunate. He seems to have had a specific problem and is justified in being upset. His point, however, is incorrect. Like virtually every other Four Seasons Hotel in the world, including Istanbul, Hong Kong and Koh Somai, Four Seasons does not own the property, they manage it - that's what they do; they manage and as far as I am concerned they do it at Koele with the usual Four Seasons brilliance shaded slightly by the realty of where it is. Alone in the middle of a tropical island with a total population of 3000 lovely people. This isn't the middle of a big city so you make allowances. Ownership of the bricks and mortar makes no difference. The people do.

Everything of significance on this island is owned and operated by Castle and Cook, a real estate developer, except for the operation of the hotels. Any problem in the transit service is their fault but that is not reason for buck passing. Obviously co-ordination between the two parties was fouled up and Four Seasons needs to assume responsibility and make things right for Mr. Hunt.

It saddened me to read Mr. Hunt's review because my wife and I had such a totally opposite experience. Everything from our room to the service was exceptional. The natural setting for the Lodge is breathtaking and shows you a side of Hawaii that those who hang out at the beach never see. The altitude moderates the climate and brings a freshness to the air that makes waking up to each new day a genuine pleasure. The massive Cook Pines and other old growth forest awe you with nature's magnificence.

This isn't the usual Four Seasons Resort. That is true. It doesn't fit the cookie cutter. This is a grand upcountry lodge that is far more laid back, quiet and charming. It isn't for everyone. But it certainly is for those who appreciate nature, natural beauty and a totally quiet and peaceful respite from the hurly burly. For a long time married couple like us, it was tough not to feel like a romantic young pair as we wandered the immaculate grounds, sat beside the streams and pools, watched the parade of bird life (especially the turkeys!) and soaked up Aloha. We found ourselves walking the trails hand in hand and feeling something special - a feeling we still have two weeks later.

If you are a golfer, don't miss the two courses available to you. But leave time for the other activities. A hike. A trail ride. The sporting clays. Enjoy what the lodge has to offer that you won't find at every other golf resort. That's what makes this place special and possibly unique. As a for instance, we spent an hour sitting atop Koloiki Ridge looking down (from a height that I think is around 2600 ft.) at the channel between Lana'i, Mau'i and Molaka'i. Why was the view so fascinating? The humpback whales. Dozens, possibly hundreds of them, that you could see in the distance. On this particular day they were breaching regularly. It's an activity that seems to be pure play and is done just for the joy of doing it. To watch whales breaching continuously across a vista of many miles was one of the most memorable experiences of our lives. You can golf anywhere. But where else can you sit on a mountain top and watch humpbacks breaching? (and then walk back to your gorgeous hotel, sip a cocktail and then sit down to a fine dinner.)

Mr. Hunt deserves an apology for the problem he had. But based on his own account of his conduct during the situation, I suspect that he should stick to more formulaic surroundings. The Lodge certainly isn't for him. But it defintiely is for us - and anyone like us.

Bravo. What a wonderful place!

Room Tip: Get as far out in the wings as you can - away from the central Lodge - it's almost like being al...
2 Thank Richard R
Chicago
Reviewed 11 February 2012

THIS IS NOT A FOUR SEASONS RESORT!!!! It's a Castle and Cook resort with a 4seasons mgmt contract. That means when your trip goes to hell everyone says its not our fault, castle and cook owns this not us! We went to dinner in town and called to confirm the last shuttle back to the resort which appears to be run by the 4seasons. ThR first call was at 10pm and the girl Rochelle at the front desk confirmed there was a 1045 and and 11:15. But when the restaurant tells us we will be walking home, we call again. Rochelle answers hello 4seasons...Yes sir, you must have missed the 10:45 but just wait. There is one at 11:15. Then the manager calls Castle and Cook who actually OWNS the resort and they tell us the last shuttle is a 10 and we have to walk home after our nice dinner. My fiancé wasn't wearing that comfortable of shoes and it's a solid 30 to 45 minute walk. So I call back. Yes sir the shuttle just left....but the restaurant says there are no more shuttles...Rochelle insists there are. I'm told by the locals the 4seadons staff has no idea what's going on because its really do different companies and they don't talk.

Then someone from the restaurant has us leave thru the kitchen when no shuttle service ever showed up as we were the only people there waiting for the 4 seasons. Of course I called again and Rochelle insisted there were shuttles. We caught a ride home with a stranger after the restaurant after he called castle and cook and they confirmed the shuttles had stopped an hour earlier. Then I get back to the front desk and start complaining where I'm told I'm wrong. The shuttles stopped at 10pm and I'm mistaken. So I call the 4seasons on my speaker phone in front of the front desk staff and the manager I asked for. Once again Rochelle said the 11:15 shuttle should be pulling up any minute!!!! I turned to the manager and said see! She still thinks its all ok and the 4seasons believes its guests are being taken care of.

I'm then told by the "manager" that he is not the manager but night security (Andy Evans)and I must go to room immediately! But Andy you just heard your own employee say that i will be picked up any minute and you implied you were the manager and wanted to hear the problem. No sir I'm an security and im telling you to go to your room because your making a scene.

Damn right I'm making a scene. We had to ride with a stranger to avoid a 45 minutes walk home and everyone is telling me I made the mistake when we just heard the girl say "hello 4seasons, how can I help you"

Wow! This is not the 4season's I stayed at in Istanbul or Hong Kong or Koh Somai. And it makes sense. It's a castle and cook resort with 4seasons marketing and there is HUGE difference. If you are used to the 4seasons and their level of service be prepared. And if you have a problem, you to can mail in the envelope like I was given. 4seasons rules but this like some weird shady spinoff where they don't own it but pretend to and manage it instead? I say hit another high end chain if thinking of Hawaii.

• Stayed February 2012
14 Thank JamesHunt1976
LodgeatKoele, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Aloha JamesHunt1976,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am truly sorry to hear your recent stay did not meet your expectations for the property or brand. We pride ourselves on our flawless service and I can understand your frustration regarding the specific areas mentioned. Your feedback is very important and I have shared your comments with our Executive Team and Front Office staff so that we may address and enhance our overall service and communications with guests regarding the Island Shuttle schedule that runs between the two resorts and town. Again, my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced while on island.

We hope you stay with us again, so that we may regain your trust in the brand. Should you with to discuss your concerns further, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Alice Bouman
Resort Manager
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We hope the resort will remain as peaceful, quiet and relaxing in the future. This is the place to stay if you want to skip the typical Hawaiian resort pool crowd, etc. Staff members were wonderful and the facilities couldn't have been nicer. We spent the first five nights of our vacation on Maui and had a great time but the last three days at The Lodge at Koele capped off our vacation. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
28.2 km away
Hotel Molokai
Hotel Molokai
#1 of 4 in Kaunakakai

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele? Share your experiences!