“One of the best sushi experiences of my life”
Review of Koiso Sushi Bar

Koiso Sushi Bar
Ranked #12 of 162 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2021

I have been eating sushi since I was a freshman in high school, and you could say I'm "well-eaten" when it comes to sushi restaurants. Hiro-san, and his establishment, are easily top 3 experiences I've been lucky enough to enjoy.

Proper traditional old-school Japanese sushi bar. The entire restaurant can fit MAYBE 13 people total. There is a 6:00-7:30 seating and a 7:30-close. That's all they accommodate each evening. No online reservations, must make them by phone. I made my reservation on May 2nd for a June 15th reservation (a Tuesday) and we managed to get the very last table. I originally tried calling in March and was told to call back starting in May for June dining (so in 2 days they filled up all but one spot on a Tuesday night a month out).

Food: 5/5. Hiro-san is a master at his craft.
Service: 5/5. The waitress's name escapes me as I'm writing this, but she was wonderful and attentive.
Experience: 5/5. The restaurant was mostly locals (and regulars at that). Hiro seems to make his customers feel like family.

Date of visit: June 2021
Write a reviewReviews (306)

Reviewed 13 January 2021 via mobile

Annual patronage of by-far my favorite sushi spot I've ever found (outside of Japan, of course). Absolutely sublime mastery of his craft in a place that seats a dozen (maybe), open 4 hrs part of the week, and generally no take out. Reservations recommended a month in advance. I play by the rules and get in line often. I've lost count of our visits but all have been orgasmically memorable. I always go omakase and let the master choose... and then add. For those of us fond of uni (sea urchin)... wowza... always literally ice cream of the ocean . Beyond sampling mine, my wife went with a smattering of rolls too, and tea. I hit up the Karakuchi and Honjozo sakes this time around with unagi (fresh water eel) for desserty sweetness. Paired well with the unago (salt water eel) that came with the omakase, too... rolled out.

Date of visit: January 2021
4  Thank CJTravelerDreams
Reviewed 16 December 2020

Make you reservation now!!! Great sushi restaurant, one of the best in Maui, it fills up months in advance so if you like traditional sushi, with the freshest ingredients make you reservation now.

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 8 March 2020 via mobile

The Sushi Chef and owner, Hiro is an artist. Well worth making reservations a month in advance, keep this in mind if you're only here for a week vacation. There are no drop ins, there only 12 seats and time slots fill up fast.

We always order the Omakase, Chefs choice, and the Ankimo. Mouth watering and deliciously fresh. We’ve also tried The black cod as an appetizer, wonderful!

Service is great, parking stalls are very narrow, there is a restroom outside the restaurant and requires a key.

Really, if you can get reservations, this is a must go to secret sushi restaurant, best on the islands.

Date of visit: March 2020
4  Thank S3056YMsusanm
Reviewed 17 February 2020 via mobile

Make a reservation here and you will not be sorry. Sushi Sashimi hand rolls all great. Owner and staff bring a certain flair that compliments the fresh fish and large menu. Locals favorite and visitors adore! Gotta love this place it’s all good! Fun spot for sushi lovers best on Maui. All agree Cannot beat this spot!

Date of visit: February 2020