“Luana Kai B204”
Review of Luana Kai Resort

Luana Kai Resort
Ranked #19 of 61 Speciality Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Upon arrival, we were met by office workers, Leslie and Mario. Both were very friendly, and helpful.

The central location of the Luana Kai Resort is a plus if you are exploring the island. Shopping, restaurants, and many other establishments, are a short drive away. The beach, which is not as inviting as others in the area, is just a short walk away over an open grass field. Free parking is lighted, and convenient. There are only steps to the units, no elevators. The exterior of the resort, pool, BBQ area, and grounds, appear to be in good condition. Each unit is individually owned, so there can be considerable differences with the condition of each unit. Our unit was in relatively good condition, however, there were a couple of negative issues. Our unit, B204, was closer to Kihei road than it was to the beach. As a result, there was considerable traffic noise during the night. Otherwise, the property was quiet. The unit did not have air conditioning. Some units may be equipped with AC, but, at an additional cost. Other than towels and sheets that needed to be washed, we left our unit in the same condition as we found it. A cleaning fee of $150.00 seems excessive. WiFi in our unit worked well.

All things considered, for our needs, we found this property to be an above average value. We would recommend this property to our friends, and family.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

What a spot! Right on the beach, pristine gardens.
Older style condos with everything you need to make your stay fabulous....they've even provided chairs, a beach umbrella and esky for your day out at the beach/waterfalls etc.
Onsite Crystal clear pool, spa and a sauna, plenty of banana chairs to laze by the pool.
BBQ's and spacious common area in the pool area.
Vanessa was a delight, full of local information and suggestions!
Definitely a winner!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Ladies and Gentlemen, on a recent trip to Maui, Hawaii I stayed at the Luana Kai Resort in Kihei Maui. This is one of the best places I have ever stayed at. I had a one bedroom condo in C202. It was perfect. The staff was helpful as well. One of the people helped me find directions to a park and ride in north Kihei. The rates very affordable as well. I like Kihei, so next time I go to Maui, this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: Any room seemed good. It looked like the 3 bedroom condos were on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2017

We stayed in C-305 last week. Loved, loved, loved this unit. It is beautiful. They say it has a partial ocean view, but you can clearly see the ocean from the balcony. It also has AC if you request and pay a small additional fee (which we did). It has been remodeled and is super nice. I have stayed at Luana Kai before (in a 1-bedroom unit, same building). My friends who also traveled to Maui stayed in the A-building in an ocean front unit. They, too, were impressed. The management is very accommodating and helpful. The pool is amazing and not highly populated. You can walk right to the beach on the ocean.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Don't ever stay at this hotel, at any cost!!! I do not recommend to anyone to stay at this property. Dirty room, no A/C, ridiculously bad customer treatment. Read on for all the details.

I booked a stay through Chase Ultimate Rewards at Luana Kai for September 6-10, 2017 (4 nights) and paid $732. Upon afternoon arrival (just after 3pm office closing) I was handed off my keys and assigned room (D-303).

Upon entering the room, I noticed the reasonable homely amenities the 4 fans blowing and the _lack of A/C_ (temperature outside was near 90F). Lack of A/C was odd because I'd have notice something like this when I booked it. After a lot of research turned out Luana Kai property listings are misleading at best and different at the different providers. From what I discovered, in some listings, they say A/C costs $25 extra. Mine at Chase said nothing of the sort, hence the negative surprise.

After the A/C fiasco, and a 12-hour flight, all I wanted was to drop off my bags and leave for a walk and dinner.

Upon coming back, I started to notice _flying ants_ downstairs. I ignored the nuisance for a while until it became apparent they bite and they are more than just one or two - room was infested with them. I check the bedrooms, they were everywhere - on wall, lamp shared, bed sheets, pillows, bathroom, everywhere. See attached photos for proof.

I tried reaching out staff through a phone number written on a sheet in the envelope, only to reach voicemail. I tried calling Chase only to wait 2 hours for nothing (lines busy due to Hurricane Irma affecting Florida that week). Out of options, tired, pissed off and not wanting to spend a night in Hawaii in my car, I decided to book a hotel I knew it would be good - the Maui Coast in Kihei. I figured the price tag $810 was extremely reasonable given the circumstances and figured both the hotel and Chase would take care of the mess following day and I'll get a refund. Boy, was I wrong!!! I checked into Maui Coast, room was clean, fresh, pleasant 69F and no flying biting ants.

Long story short, I had to deal on numerous occasions with extremely rude and unapologetic staff at Luana Kai (mostly Mario).

Not only did I not get a full refund, I was penalized (!!) for not giving them "an opportunity to address it." My logical explanation that I called but reached voicemail, and that if that room was clean and sanitary I woundn't have had to do anything or call anyone. I was penalized 2 out of the 4 nights. Mario said they owe me $0 but because they feel bad they offered me $257. $257 out of $732 is not even half, more like one third. I told him that to me to accept his $257 is equivalent to admitting I'm ok with the situation and its solution when I was not. All-in-all I spent at least 6 hours on the phone to listen to accusation how it is my fault I want full refund for unsanitary room without A/C. Disgusting!!

Comment if you have questions and I'll try to provide you with all details I have. I'm reporting this to the Maui department of health and considering legal options to get my money back.

Room Tip: That's not the place, stay away from this property
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Pavel S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
4.0 km away
5.6 km away
Maui Kamaole
Maui Kamaole
#11 of 61 in Kihei

Been to Luana Kai Resort? Share your experiences!