“A Must See”

Ranked #1 of 35 things to do in Kula
Reviewed 30 March 2018

During the hour or so drive up the mountain I would practice pronouncing Haleakala. After three day trips, I think I can say it correctly now. In fact, I spent my first 3 days on Maui visiting Haleakala. I didn't see a beach until my fourth day on the island.

The sunsets are incredible and I would recommend getting to the top a good hour or 90 minutes before sunset as the parking lots fill up. People will park illegally on the side of the road.

The best place to watch the sunset is the stop just prior to the summit. The view from the very top is blocked by the observatory. If you park just a half mile below the summit, you will get a much better view of the sunset.

The drive to the top is a white knuckler in certain spots as it has sharp turns and no guard rails. The views are breathtaking.

I hiked the 3.9 mile trail down the mountain to the crater. It is very easy going down and quite strenuous coming back up. I did have trouble breathing as I worked my way up the switchbacks to the top. Bring plenty of water and take it slow.

This is one incredible place.

2  Thank Joe J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,862)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"hour drive"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Well worth the drive up the winding road to the top. The landscape would )in your imagination) be the same as our moon, and the views are amazing. From the top we could see the two major volcanoes on the big island as well as the islands of Lanai and Molokai ... amazing vistas. But bring a coat or sweater, as we were cold on top when it was a comfortable 70-something elsewhere on the island.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We followed someones advice and did sunset instead of sunrize. Smart decision. No crowd, great view, and amazing stars :))

Reviewed 28 March 2018

This is a must on any visit to Maui. It truly is an amazing experience and one you will never forget. The views are absolutely breathtaking and you will feel as is you in outer space without a suit. The air is crisp and unbelievably pure.The different colors of the spectrum that start to appear as the sun slowly inches it's way up is magical.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Wow, what a unique experience to see this national park. We drove up in the afternoon, to give us time to explore before the sunset. I would suggest to stop at each opportunity - the views change so much as you climb the volcano. The sunset was by far our favourite moment. Stargazing wasn't as good as it can be since it was a full moon. Worth the admission fee and the trade off is worth the time you could be spending on a beach.
*Bring warm clothes and even blankets, toques, mitts etc. very cold as the sun goes down!