7,300 results
All reviewsswan courtatrium towerour honeymoonbreakfast buffetswim up barexotic birdsself parkingwalk in closetresort feepool areawhalers villagelahaina towerkaanapali beachpartial ocean viewocean frontkids poolmaui resort
Reviewed 17 March 2005

I cannot believe any negative review of the Hyatt Maui. We arrived on March 1st(my birthday) and the hotel was exceptional. Upon learning of my birthday we were sent a bottle of champagne. We had a regency ocean front and the view was wonderful. The grounds are stunning with Flamingos , parrots, cranes, swans etc. The pools and waterfalls were beautiful. My children (age3and1) went crazy over the sand bottom pool.
My daughter would have a fit, every time we had to leave. The beach grill was not expensive at all by hotel standards. The portion sizes were so huge, my husband and I split a steak sandwich on more than one occasion.
Now the negatives. I found the balcony on the room very small. My husband and I could barely both fit sitting down. I understand why a few people say there is some wear and tear. The atrium is open in the centre of the hotel and I'm sure the constant exposure to the elements has caused some erosion. But come on people .... is that so bad? The service was great. We were greeted by every staff member who crossed our paths.
The reason this hotel, in my opinion, is a 4.5 star instead of a 5 star is the rooms. The bathroom was a little dark and dingy and needed a renovation. Everything elso about this hotel was 5 star. The grounds are the real attraction. As for you honeymooners, I can understand your complaints. This is a fabulous family experience but I don't know if I would pick it as a honeymoon resort. Very loud, busy etc. As for those who complained of bad service, here's a tip...treat others with respect and kindness and you will be treated kindly in return.

24  Thank jmary1973
Reviewed 13 March 2005

Taken December 2003

• Stayed: December 2003
7  Thank Cruiser9997
Reviewed 7 March 2005

One of the best experiences I've ever had. The Rooms were decent. But the hotel has excellent food and the 100ft waterslide is awesome. The lobby is like a tropical paradise. The swim up bar is a great place to cool off while drinking a MAI TAI, which I highly recommend. Pricey though.

• Stayed: October 2003, travelled on business
8  Thank Nomad26056
Reviewed 22 February 2005

Stayed at the Hyatt Feb 9th-15th and had a great stay. I read all the reviews and was a little concerned about some of the negative comments I had read - but none of those affected our stay.

We arrived in the late afternoon and, despite a small crowd waiting to check-in, all was handled promptly and we were in our room in minutes. Our Terrace room was very nice - clean, well appointed, spacious, walk-in closet and good sized bath/dressing area - and actually had a great view of the ocean from the balcony. We had a complementary mini-fridge delivered within minutes of our request. We had a package deal that included breakfast in the Swan Court every morning, too, which was a great selection of fruit, breads, eggs, meats, cakes, pastries and cooked-to-order omelettes; maybe not worth $23/person, but great if you can get it as part of the package.

I agree with many of the reviews I've read and some of the negative comments - but it really depends on what you are expecting.
The beach is very narrow - not really conducive to lying out on the beach or playing in the sand. As others have stated, it's a very short walk to areas of larger beach, too. If hanging out on the beach right at your hotel is a priority, this is probably not your best choice.
The restaurants may well be overpriced. We only ate at the Swan, which was included, and around the pool, which was no worse than what I've paid at resorts in other places. A few minute walk to the Whaler's Village area or a few minute drive to Lahaina offers plenty of restaurant choices that were reasonable. If you plan to eat meals regularly at your resort hotel, I would expect it to seem pricey.
The pool area is packed with chairs; at full capacity, I'm sure it seems overcrowded. We regularly went out for activities and siteseeing in the morning, then never had a problem getting chairs by the pool or in the lawn to spend the afternoon. The pool area is nice, and much larger than some of the other resort hotels along this strip. Cool water slide, cave bar and children's play area, too.
Parking is difficult, but never a problem. They pack 'em in like sardines, but we were always able to self-park. Sometimes it was in the overflow lot at the far end of the hotel, but we never forced to valet (and the hotel was at full capacity).

All-in-all, the facilities and service were everything we expected. We were very pleased with our choice to stay at the Hyatt and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2005
29  Thank rrinear
Reviewed 22 February 2005

Just returned from a 4-night stay. The hotel was not so crowded and the room was great (king bed + sofa sleeper, fridge, etc). Sure, the price was steep, but the facility is gorgeous (fantastic swimming pool, Asian-themed artwork, penguins, etc.) and there is plenty to do there.

The beach in front of the property was disappointing, but a short 10 minute walk away (in front of Kaanapali Alii) there is a nice beach area. Recommendation is to go early in the morning in order to scout out the best place to lay your beach towels.

As for prices, you will be ripped off at any of the major hotel restaurants. Go to Lahaina and eat at the Aloha Mixed Plate or other similar "local" restaurants. Also, stop by the CostCo (Kahului) or Safeway (Lahaina) and stock up on snacks in order to save $$.

Also a "must" do is to snorkel at Black Rock (park your car at the public access parking garage near the Sheraton) early in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2005