1,304 results
All reviews kaanapali beach black rock hula grill tower facing ocean view full kitchen underground parking abc store koi pond premium room pineapple studio condo through vrbo bath unit north side tennis courts daily maid service
995 - 1,000 of 1,304 reviews
Reviewed 24 September 2010

the front desk does not give you the Aloha welcome! We have been staying at the Whater for 10 years and if not for all the other great things I would not go back.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlohaDK
AstonGM, Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2010

Thank you for taking my phone call and we are truly sorry that we did not extend our sincere Aloha Welcome on arrival or throughout your stay at The Whaler on Ka'anapali Beach. Please accept our apology and be assured that we are following through with our team to learn from your comments.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I may provide personal assistance in your future reservation and impressions of The Whaler on Ka'anapali Beach.

General Manager, Aston Hotels & Resorts
The Whaler on Ka'anapali Beach
808-661-6000

Reviewed 15 September 2010

I have to remind myself that this is not a review for Maui, but rather a review for the Whaler. :) Maui is obviously amazing and would score off the charts if I could give the island a review. The Whaler proved to be a wonderful home base for my husband and I, as we explored the island of Maui. The service staff we encountered was always very friendly, the grounds were immaculate, and the pool was well tended. While the pool is small, my husband and I enjoyed the fact that it is literally right on the beach. We felt like our personal items were nice and safe in the enclosed area of the pool while we went in the ocean or down the path to lunch.

We stayed in 1170, which had an ocean view as well as a great view of the mountains. I thoroughly enjoyed the over-sized porch we had. After each daily adventure, it was nice to sit on the porch, watching the daylight hours wind down on one side and almost always a rainbow shining through the clouds on the other. Our room was a 1 bed, 2 bath condo. We rented directly from the owner as he is a family friend. The rooms were spacious, had all the supplies we needed, and very immaculate. I will say that the bathrooms and kitchen were a bit dated, but that did not affect the functionality in any way. Honestly, we spent most of our time outdoors, enjoying the island, so a little datedness did not bother us. We also appreciated the in-unit washer and dryer. I'm not sure if this is a feature all the units have.

We also felt that the Whaler provided a nice central location, not only on Kaanapali, but for everything else in Maui as well. We spent many nights in Lahaina or Kapalua, both of which are just a short drive down the highway. Getting to the airport and the Pa'ia area only took us 35 minutes.

Overall, Kaanapali beach is a great place to stay while in Maui and the Whaler is a great deal for such a prime location.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Stayed at The Whaler 9-3 through 9-10. We had an absolutely fabulous time. We were on the 9th floor (915), and we had an excellent oceanview room, not to be mistaken with ocean front, but you were in Maui so it was still really really nice!.. Had a great time at the hot tub and pool area. This condo is situated really close to the beach so you can do both. Great Sunsets, go to Hula grill for 3-5pm happy hour, mai tais were excellent and they have music. We snorkeled at the local Sherton black rock which was within walking distance. Loved Maui, Would definitely book at The Whaler again! oh please note that upon our departure we were told they were going to start renovating the condos, so call them up to see when they are finished. I'm told they will be starting heavy construction on all the planter areas soon! The other downside was they charged $12.00 a day for parking but I guess all Hawaii Hotels do the same.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2010

After searching for bargains in this expensive area we were pleased with our rental condo in The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach. The location was 5 Star, right on the main strip, between the Whaler Village shopping center and the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Great views of Black Rock. We turned a large one BR into an adequate 2 BR by utilizing the owner's murphy bed & rollaway for our teenage sons. There are great grills and tables directly adjacent to the beach. Lot's of restaurants just a few steps away. Pool & spa at these twin buildings are a bit small but alright. (shhh, we tried the Hyatt's pool/spa once.) There was one other condo building called Kaanapali Alii which appears newer just 2 buildings away. We found the rentals on the VRBO website. I think many of the owners will work with you on price too. Enjoy Hawaii!

Date of stay: August 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Suite 802 has a fabulous ocean front position right next to Kaanapali beach. The suite itself is spacious, well provisioned and very comfortable. We spent some days at the beach (snorkeling near the black rock), had a great day with the Pacific Whale Foundation snorkeling at Molokini crater and Turtle town and enjoyed a day exploring the island. No negatives to report. We just had a great time in Maui and suite 802 in particular.

Date of stay: August 2010