“Another great slack key performance ”
Review of Slack Key Show

Slack Key Show
Ranked #3 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Slack Key Show takes place on Wednesday nights at 7:30 p.M. With master slack-key guitarist George Kahumoku Jr. As host and Peter deAquino as co-host. Each week we feature renowned slack-key guitarists and other Hawaiian musicians (sometimes ukulele, falsetto, or steel guitarists) to share traditional Hawaiian Music with you. Mahalo and hope we will see you at the show!
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I really enjoy Hawaiian music and always make a point to try to see the Wednesday night show there. Besides George and his group of talented musicians who play ever week they generally feature a guest - this last week was Led Kaapana who if you follow Hawaiian music is known as the grand master of slack key. He was awesome. The first half of the show are individual performances and after intermission they all get up on stage and “jam” together. They seem to be having as much fun as the audience.
It is very laid back with plenty of opportunity to get your CDs signed (they have a table of many CDs and related items there), meet the performers, have pictures taken, etc. And since many of these folks are Grammy winners they generally bring a Grammy or two for the fans to see.
For an even better deal they offer a dinner and show package with the Sea House restaurant at the site (Napili Kai Resort). A great dinner at an upscale restaurant and then a short walk over to the show. Check their website and then get on their email list. We look forward to our next visit.

Thank Doug and Robert... B
"featured artist"
in 4 reviews
"intimate venue"

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

This is not a luau. This is traditional Hawaiian slack key and ukulele music and singing. I have brought people that are not really that interested in music and they have not enjoyed it. I go every year for the musicians and every year they blow me away. I especially enjoy when Mark Yamanaka visits. If you enjoy top notch musicianship you will be a repeat visitor.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

The Master's of Slack Key Guitar is the extremely rare opportunity to hear a multiple Grammy-Award winning performance! It is every Wednesday night at 7:30 pm with the box office "opening" at 6:45 but buy your tickets online beforehand because it probably will sell out. We arrived at 6 pm to pick up our "will call" tickets and were given our tickets immediately and instructed that we could go get drinks at the bar (so contrary to at least one previous review, alcohol is available) and Wainani Kealoha, the "ticket taker" would remember that we were third in line. The pina colada from the bar was really good but the gin and tonic was too boozy with barely a splash of tonic (oh well, can't blame the performers for that).

Jeff Peterson (who has performed with the likes of Eric Clapton, Boz Scaggs, Aaron Neville and others) was the featured artist the evening in January that we attended and he is absolutely amazing. His pieces are all instrumental but absolutely mesmerizing. Moreover, he is a bonafide musicologist and so his introduction to every song is a fascinating lesson in the political, social, and musical history of the Hawaiian Islands. I only wish that he would have spoken more about his paniolo (cowboy) upbringing and his early musical mentoring listening to his father and ranch hands play guitar. As the applause began at the end of each song, Jeff would start retuning his guitar into a different key. I have never heard of, let alone heard, a guitarist who completely retuned his guitar into a different key for every song. As the applause would begin to die down, he introduced the song but also introduced the new tuning, describing the guitarist who had discovered/popularized it and the unique tonal qualities that make it special and appropriate for the song he was about to play. Just a totally unique performance!

One reviewer stated that his group left at intermission because they were falling asleep to the acoustic music, which was a giant mistake if you want my opinion (which I assume you do if you've gotten this far in this revew) After intermission, the "masters" (Uncle George Kahumoku, Jr., Peter de Aquino, Sterling Seaton, and Max Angel) come on and jam with the guest artist and the show completely switches gears with lots of banter, beautiful vocal harmonies, and seemingly slightly competitive dueling solos, along with absolutely stunning hula from Wainani Kealoha. They also invited a member of the audience, a longt-time friend of the performers, and he danced a hula with Peter de Aquino. the guest, although claiming to not have danced in quite some time, performed a beautiful, athletic, and lyric hula while Peter's accompanying dancing was slightly comic, intentionally or unintentionally. Together they were fabulous.

The Master's of Slack Key Show is something that no visit to Maui is complete without. It was the highlight of our trip. We are in our early 50's and, yes, it was an older crowd (as noted derisively by a number of previous reviewers), so we seemed like youngsters but that didn't in anyway diminish our enjoyment of the music!

1  Thank rhammeror
Reviewed 29 December 2017

Hello fellow travellers,
after attending the Slack Key Show in Kaanapali, Maui, I thought I would be giving it a very good review, however the show organizers have charged us twice for our 2 tickets, and they won't refund the double charges of approximately $115 Canadian. I've contacted them 5 times; 3 phone calls leaving voice messages, and 2 emails, and they haven't replied to any of my messages. I've clearly left both my phone number and email address , and have very politely explained that they have charged us twice, but they won't return my calls...it's been 5 weeks now. I'm very disappointed, and we are actually completely shocked, as we thought highly of them. We attended the show, and then shortly after we were sitting in a restaurant for dinner, and George and his family happened to sit at the table next to us, so enjoyed chatting with them for a few minutes, and letting them know how much we enjoyed the show. Given that we'd even had this positive personal encounter, we are even more surprised and disappointed that they would keep our money that they are not entitled to keep. We will not be supporting their show in the future, as we are appalled that they would do this to the guests that thought so highly of them.

1  Thank LyndaMary33
GeorgeKahumokuJr, Owner at Slack Key Show, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2018

-Lynda,

We apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. It is my understanding that we determined that there was no double charge and that you purchased tickets and then CDs at the show resulting in two charges on your credit card. We are happy to discuss this further if you would like to call us directly at 808-669-3858 ex101

We would apprciate if you changed or remove your review.

George Kahumoku, Jr.