All reviews yogurt rose room other guests upcountry maui upcountry area fruit trees gracious hospitality residential neighborhood minutes from the airport each morning paia town craftsman home spent nights cherie island beaches stopwatch
Reviewed 31 August 2015

We stayed 2 nights with Cherie in August. Prior to arriving, I had read her blog and exchanged emails with her, so I knew what to expect. We arrived finding the house clean, quiet, and our Rose room perfectly comfortable. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, Cherie is often off-site and offers self-check-in by placing paper instructions with individual guest names at the door. We knew that she was busy tending to her other jobs and honestly did not mind checking ourselves in - in fact we appreciated the extra trust and autonomy. We did call to let her know of our arrival, and she greeted us in-person shortly thereafter.

When Cherie is home (she lives next to the B&B house), she is very hands-on, always busy in the garden and kitchen, and always ready to chat with her guests. She has an infectious smile and a wonderful sense of humor. She offered great tips on local dining (Mana Foods is a must-try) and swimming/snorkeling spots (Baby Beach off of Baldwin Beach). She accommodates her guests schedules - we had gotten up before 4am two days in a row to catch sunrise at Haleakala summit, and another couple came and went at late hours. Breakfast each day is plentiful and fresh - several varieties of fruit from her own garden, and more bought from market, all at peak ripeness; 5-6 types of breads and toast, luscious jams and jellies, organic local yogurts, cream, milk, juice, and hot coffee. Each day we left with a full belly onto our adventures.

Throughout our stay, Cherie's easy-going, genuine, and warm personality made us feel very much at home. Her love for the property is evident in the meticulously displayed art, decorations, and furniture. Walking through the house, one gets the sense of an owner who is deeply immersed in local life and who brings her own eclectic and whimsical style. In fact, the highlight of our stay was seeing Cherie's original art and purchasing one of her famous "Duckie Kalikimaka" prints, which she finished just for us prior to departure. We left her B&B with a new appreciation for the Upcountry and for the people who inhabit that beautiful land. Thank you Cherie for a restful visit; we wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jing H
Upcountry, Owner at Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2015

Aloha,

I so enjoyed meeting you folks! Our conversations were authentic, and we had a great connection.
Upcountry is a very special place to explore and I'm happy you enjoyed yourselves and got into the spirit of of our Maui home. We are truly blessed to live here, and when my guests are happy here, so am I.

Some people I will always fondly remember, and you folks are on that list. Enjoy the ducks!!
With Much Aloha,
Cherie

Reviewed 27 August 2015 via mobile

We spent at Hale Ho'okipa five nights, besides another party of two which mostly spent only one or two nights there we were the only guests (in August!). We have a lot of B&B experience around the globe (Europe, Africa, Australia). What we like at an B&B is the passion of landlords and landladies, they typically generate an atmosphere where you feel home. Unfortunately this was not the case here. I did not observe any passion for B&B here, we had always the impression to disturb privacy, it looked like it is only business to finance the refurbishments at their old house and this is not because of a long list of rules some other reviewer described here before.
But let's start with to positive things. Hale Ho'okipa is in an old (but exceeding a bit it's lifetime) house. It is very nice and clean with a very nice big main/breakfast room. Bedroom are a bit small, fully packed with old stuff (sure a lot of people like it, for me less would be more), very limited space for your clothes and luggage and a tiny bed. But I could live with that. They also provide free parking and free wifi and beach towels.
My wife felt ill and therefore we asked to change rooms to have an additional bed, the tiny bed was too small for us. All rooms were free. First she offered us a room but with 25$ per night extra (rate on their web pages shows 10$ higher cost) - this felt a bit weird. But finally we got it for free, very much appreciated and changed a bit our opinion when we leave.
But other behaviors of the landlady really disappointed us:
- I asked her for support to find a diving center to do a tour to Molokini. After asking a second time she came up with one address based on a Google search. This I could have done by myself. I expected a recommendation based on local experience. If she does not know, some calls could be helpful.
- As we arrived there was no heartily welcome. There was a paper on the door for self check in. We exchanged emails before our arrival, so no excuse that they did not know our arrival time.
- My wife had an serious infection. We asked the landlady to support us with finding a doctor. She was not willing or able to do it. Her answer was that she knows only a doctor who only accept a specific insurance and required an appointment instead of pointing us in the direction of a urgent care doctor. We found one by ourself luckily.
- Breakfast they offer is a very basic continental breakfast - below average what I know from B&Bs: different kind of toast (out of the fridge), some jellies, one or two cream cheeses, some cereals and yoghurt, coffee, tea and some freshly cut fruits. But no fresh bread, muffins, bagels, croissants or similar, no sweets, no warm food like eggs (you can boil them by yourself if you want one), pancakes, etc. If you stay for longer you have every morning the same stuff.
Breakfast is served only from 8 to 9.
- There is no room service. They change every four days the sheets on your bed and towels (which is okay). But that's it. They do not make your beds, hover the room, clean the bathroom or empty the trash (they ask you to do it yourself). I do not expect hotel service in a B&B but I did never got such a basic service before.
After complaining they changed their policy for us and cleaned up the room every day, much appreciated, but this should be standard. So discuss and align your needs upfront.
Overall my wife and I had the impression their strategy is to do only the absolute minimum and minimize their own work/effort as much as possible.
If you are people who like to cleanup your room by yourself and do not value service - this is your place to be. For all who like at least a minimum of comfort should look for an alternative.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MYSTERIOUSXL
Upcountry, Owner at Hale Ho'okipa Inn Makawao, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

Aloha,

Hmm, this was an interesting experience. 99.9% of my guests are happy, comfortable, and enjoy their experience here. I know there is always someone who may not be a good fit.

When I got home the first day of his arrival, I noticed some furniture from the guest room in the middle of the living room and was surprised. That had never happened before.
This guest soon came out of the room and had an attitude, and now I see from his review it's probably because I was not home to heartily greet him upon his arrival.
I had corresponded with him prior to his arrival giving him a suggestion for a Dive Master that I had heard great things about .He let me know that he was not happy with that suggestion after speaking with the company. I also responded to his other request with the best advice that I could and did ask him about the situation when we met.
We offered them two alternative room selections for their stay. They decided, and there is a price difference in rooms.Since they booked through a discount agency, I gave them my price difference, which he said was fine.
Hearing back from the booking agency on their second morning as to his displeasure was the first time I was aware of any problems. I contacted him immediately and shared my policy with him, which is also posted in his room.
Things went south from there...his response to me was not very friendly,...I find it challenging to stay kind ,when someone is combative. His approach to me really set the tone for my continued interaction ,pleasant but minimal.
In 21 years of this business, I have had exactly three guests who were terribly unhappy that I did not make their bed for them daily. This guest was one of them and then took his requests to new heights. The booking agency also let him know that most B&B's do not provide daily maid service. His third day, a thorough cleaning, new sheets, towels, etc was done, He was pleased with that service.
There is a bit too much negativity in his post for me to respond to.. We are much more than " business only." Aloha is a way of life for me, and I try to share it always. If someone is open to receiving it, they will.
Other lovely guests arrived and my "passion" was re- ignited, and we thoroughly enjoyed eachother's company.
So sorry their expectations were not met, but, we do consider all, and are willing to work with guests, most especially if they express their needs directly.
Mahalo , Cherie

Reviewed 3 August 2015

Stayed with Cherie at Ho'okipa the last night of our trip to be closer to airport (had been in Hana). The house is incredibly charming and restful and our room (we stayed in the Kona Wing) was incredibly comfortable and the bathroom was perfect. The room and bath were very clean and everything was well maintained. Plenty of screened windows for cross ventilation. Bed was very comfy.

The neighborhood itself is quiet although Makawao can be windy and there are the ever present roosters on Maui (I only heard one far away). We enjoyed the lanai as a wonderful place to sit and read. The town of Makawao (which I had not previously visited) was also very picturesque with lots of nice shopping, grocery stores and restaurants. We went to Haliiamaile General Store for dinner.

Breakfast in the a.m. was great, unfortunately we had to eat and run. Will definitely be returning to Ho'okipa in the future. If you're looking for a friendly and quiet place to stay upcountry, look into this wonderful B&B.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2015

We came to Maui for my brothers funeral. Friends on the island recommended this B&B.
Cherie, the Innkeeper , was gracious and helpful. I like my coffee early in the morning, so she had it set up, so all I had to do was start it. We loved the fresh fruits, some from her property, the local breads and jams and other breakfast items she prepared.
We were necessarily in a saddened situation and the lovely surroundings, including the tropical flowers , hidden oasis's of water fountains and the HUGE Norfork pine and the wonderful back porch gave us a quiet place for reflection. Cherie also steered us to places to see and where to get the best fish (very important since we are from Nebraska)!
The house itself is a treasure also, filled with meaningful items from the area, which add to the beauty of the home.
Our visit was filled with sadness, but our load was lightened by our wonderful experience visiting Maui and the helpfulness of everyone there.

Room Tip: All rooms available could fit anyone's needs.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2015

What a little gem in the super underrated Makawao town. A 20 min, scenic drive from Haiku/Paia, 30 min to Twin Falls, super secluded. Beautifully furnished, Asian touches everywhere. We stayed in the Rose room, just cozy enough for 3 of us. Fruity yard, fruit breakfast, sweet hospitality from Cheri, as from her neighbors and animals:)

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family