“Super!!”
Review of Maui Sunriders

Maui Sunriders
Ranked #3 of 15 Outdoor Activities in Paia
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Sunriders offers self-paced Haleakala bike tours of the volcano in Maui, HI, including the Haleakala downhill bike tours and daily Maui bike rentals. With our self-paced bike rides, guests have the freedom to stop along the way at the many unique shops and restaurants in the charming towns on the route or just stop to enjoy the beauty of Haleakala. With our self-paced Haleakala downhill bike rides, you can immerse yourself in the beauty and serenity of Upcountry Maui without the cumbersome restrictions of a large group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Jacob and Remi are the best. The ride is way more affordable then any other, and it is practical. They are fun, I learned great things and, most of all, I did feel safe.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"safety tips"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

The bike ride down the volcano was on the top of our to do list for this vacation. Our nephews ages 23 and 20 encouraged us to go on this adventure. Neither my husband or I work out on a regular basis. We couldn’t remember the last time we were even on a bike. Jacob did an awesome job reminding us about the do’s and dont’s. I kept hearing his voice saying right and left break simultaneously, don’t right break only, slow and steady. We all had a trip of a lifetime!!! I personally faced two fears, the height and biking down a volcano. A memory of a lifetime shared by this family. Thanks Jacob for making this such a memorable safe trip. ~The Gillingham Family~

Reviewed 12 March 2018

I have never been so encouraged to write a bad review. On mauisunriders.com there is an option for "Day Rental" for their bikes. This could not be further from the truth, and I have never experienced such terrible customer service from any company. According to their website, "All you need is an extra person in your group to drive you to the summit and drive the car back down while you bike downhill to sea level." This is what our party was equipped for, so that is all we were hoping to do. Dani Baricchi, the owner's wife, was very helpful on the phone to answer our questions. However, upon our arrival at their store to rent the bikes, we were immediately met with hostility and anger from an older male with a thick non-Hawaiian accent who would not give us his name. It was not difficult to find out it was the owner of the shop, Paolo Barrichi. He was asking odd questions such as, "Even though you could be the best bike mechanics how would I know and what would happen if you took off one of the wheels?" and "What is not to understand?" when he had not prefaced it with a statement. What really was the cherry on top is when, during his very confounding rant, he asked if I "did not even have a third grade education" when he could not even complete a comprehensive and cohesive statement in English. I, for reference sake, practice with a master's degree. He stated that there were no bikes available for rent for a month. I do not recommend doing business with such a rude and deceitful business owner.

I do, however, highly recommend Haleakala Bike Company, whom our entire interactions with them were pleasant, helpful, and seamless.

bikemaui, Owner at Maui Sunriders, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

I regret that your interaction with Maui Sunriders did not meet your expectations and prevented you from actually experiencing our services as a customer.
Unfortunately for you, we do not rent two bikes for three riders.
As that was made clear in the first five minutes of our conversation I honestly wish for the both of us, that you accepted our policy and as per my suggestion contacted one of the other bike companies.
I consider the extra twenty minutes of our personal interaction and the additional twenty minutes of the subsequent phone call, as an added extortion of our time, regrettably for both of us.
We at Maui Sunriders strive to assure that we as a company and our clients share a memorable experience, but we also refuse to be held hostage by unreasonable and insistent demands.

Aloha

Paolo Baricchi

Maui Sunriders Bike Co.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Came to Maui 6 months ago and rode down Haleakala —loved it so much we had to come back and bring the kids to do it with them.
Don’t worry if it’s been awhile since you rode a bike- you can still do it, especially when everything is downhill!
Hope you get Jacob -he’s a great guide.
Tips:
1) Watch the weather. Book on a clear day. Don’t forget it can be clear at the beach and cloudy at the top of the volcano- look up!
2) if it is not clear at the top, then take the gloves offered. It can be very cold as the ride begins! Take the windbreaker/rain jacket offered as well!
4) We love stopping at the lavender farm on the way down, but do not order food or drink there. That is not their gifting- lotions and soaps are marvelous and make perfect gifts for your friends back home.
5) We love the bakery in Macawao- of course- but the real treat is the Poke bowls and sandwiches in the grocery store across the street-amazing! Take them to go & have a picnic later on your tour- I mean the views even on the side of the road are amazing as you look out over the ocean and beaches from this height. Breathtaking.
6) Towards the end of your journey, just before you get back to Paia-on the right is an burnt orange/reddish building —a community that helps disabled people find jobs by growing fruits and vegetables. Try to visit them and see the most recent produce or jams. They also have unique jewelry pieces.
7) If you don’t have lunch in Macawao, eat at the original Paia Fish Market when you get back-this is where it all began.
Finally, relax and just have fun!

1  Thank Momof2travelers
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 March 2018

Easy to book online through their website which was beautifully laid out and a dream to navigate. We met our guides and they were fun, personable, and professional as well. Maui Sunriders will equip you with all the proper equipment needed for your leisurely ride down Haleakala. A well tuned and perfectly sized bike, helmet, rain pants, rain jacket, backpack, map, and bike lock were all provided. After a safety briefing (all common North American bicycle rules) we hopped into the vans and headed up the mountain. Our drive up the mountain was a great time to learn about the area, culture, and fun facts along the way. Reaching the top there was a double check of rules and route and we were on our way.
Having the ability to stop where we wanted allowed us to take amazing photos and we had no pressure to quickly make it down. This is NOT a guided ride meaning you do not have to stay as a group and can explore, not having to return the bikes until much later in the afternoon. This was a wonderful activity, not requiring much physical extrusion to be able to bike down hill all the way back to the bike shop.
NOTE- This ride does not include the sunrise nor entering into Haleakala National Park. But there are amazing views and this is a wonderful ride. We met at the bike shop at 9am and returned to the bike shop at 1pm. This included a stop in Makawao to explore the shops, coffee shops, and lunch restaurants.
I would highly recommend this adventure for everyone who is comfortable riding a bike downhill on a paved road. This was a wonderful company who is having a lot of fun and as a customer you can tell.