“Waikane's Hole in the Wall”
Review of Waikane Store

Waikane Store
Ranked #42 of 131 Restaurants in Kaneohe
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 14 March 2016

One of the few mom and pop stores to survive in this ever changing island life style. Great stop over while taking that around the island drive. No forget to pick up a pack of their ono cookies...lots to choose from along with the tasty sushi and fried chicken. I've gone to Waikane Store for decades and often make it a must whenever I visit my 90 yr old mom living just past the bridge in Waiahole, a few houses North of the famous Waiahole Poi Factory. Ahh...Waikane Store...nice people, ono goodies.
Mama-san Tsutsui was my favorite.....

1  Thank Bento2211

Reviewed 14 January 2016

Impossible for me to drive past Waikane Store (except Sundays & Mondays when closed) without stopping to pick up Mochiko Fried Chicken. It is, and has always been the BEST ON THE PLANET.
Don't forget Sushi Roll too--Ono!!!
Trust me, you need both!

Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

This little hole in the wall rocks! I knew it would be good when I saw all the local workers stopping for lunch. Great fried chicken, and even better shrimp fritters.
A true icon. The lady behind the counter told me she has been there for 40 years! and she is the 3rd generation in her family to run the store!

Need a snack or a cold pop? GO HERE!

Reviewed 31 March 2015

I "found" this general store years ago. It's an old, tired building on the side of the highway. Cars fly by, but I stopped. I walked in and immediately smelled fried food - shrimp fritters, to be exact. I bought them and ate them as soon as I got in the car. I've been back many times, but now I stop for the old-fashioned sushi (like Obachan used to make) and fried chicken. I never tried her home-made cookies, but I will. The store has very few items (peanut butter, Crisco, a beverage cooler, candy bars and is a general post office venue (Priority Mail boxes and envelopes). The owners are friendly and how could you not eat their sushi wrapped in waxed paper???

Reviewed 12 January 2015

A local store (nothin' fancy) that sells sushi, fried chicken, coffee, and the owner also sells his very good original music CDs. Just a stop along the Kam Highway from Kailua to the North Shore, but don't miss it. A local Hawaiian family runs the business. The wife and mother staff the front register and the husband who is also the excellent musician makes the food and the music. Get some inexpensive sushi and and buy a CD. Enjoy real Hawaii! No real sit down place, just get your sushi or fried chicken to go and really enjoy.

3  Thank Tozmo