Tradewinds Hotel
US$147
US$120
All reviewsequator restaurantamerican samoaclose to the airportoff the menucontinental breakfast isnice poolenjoyed my stayexcellent customer serviceswimming pool and gymnice clean roomsthank goodnesschristmas decorationsstaff are very friendly and helpfulminute drivetv channelsstayed two nightslocation was perfect
Reviewed 23 July 2009

BEWARE: They charge you the entire stay up front. If you leave early it is HELL getting a refund. It has taken us about a week and we don't have it refunded yet. I changed the reservation of a team member that was arriving late to one night instead of ten. Upon his arrival, he was charged for ten nights stay. He didn't catch it because he had been awake traveling for 24 hours. If you must stay there - try to avoid being charged the full amount up front for your own safety. As far as my value rating - right now two nights cost me $1500. So that is why it isn't a value - Sadies is cheaper and right on the beach, near restaurants and shops.

Hotel staff is nice, hotel is clean, rooms are comfortable. This hotel is located in a neighborhood. Nowhere near a beach or activities. AFter two days, my travel team decided to change hotels to one in town and on the beach that was also less expensive.

We were working the day we checked out of Tradewinds, so I packed up in a hurry, left an entire drawer full of clothes in one of the three drawers. I called that night when I was moving into our new rooms at Sadies's by the Sea because it was when I realized I didn't have everything. Nobody answered. Went to hte hotel the next morning and they had thrown away everything. This is small island, everyone knows everything, including hte fact that we weren't leaving there were no flights out that day and that we were changing hotels, but they threw away all my things. Yes, I shouldn't have left them there, but it really doesn't sit well with me. I had to buy all new things. Fortunately I did have a few clothes from my second drawer that I did pack.

The refund requires that we go in person every day. We had been promised many times that they would refund some of it daily and send an email. That has never occurred. So that is why I ussued the caution about being charged the full amount up front. If your plans change, your money is still charged for quite a while on that card. Make sure you read your credit card policies well so you have an extra layer of protection should they just never get around to issuing you a refund.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
8  Thank TXLATraveler
Reviewed 22 February 2008

I stayed at the Tradewinds for a weekend. it's not in a great location for people who want to visit AS and stroll around exploring the island, but if you rent a car, it's fine. It's not within walking distance to the beach, but is within walking distance to a few stores and two restaurants.

It is the newest and therefore probably the cleanest hotel on the island. The pool is great and the rooms are fine with all the amenities you expect from a US hotel (which you don't always get while you're here). The internet is as fast as it gets on the island, and the staff are friendly and helpful.

3  Thank doodly
Reviewed 8 September 2007

Needed a nice hotel to stay while on business. Super friendly staff, the airport pickup was great as I arrived late at night. The rental car was clean and very new. The wireless internet in the coffee shop was appreciated . Overall I was impressed and no mozzies, will certainly come again as I didn't expect this high standard of accommodation in American samoa.

4  Thank D00gle
Reviewed 19 August 2007

the tradewinds was fine and staff are lovely. but it is located in the middle of a fairly unattractive neigborhood and so there was little to see when jogging in the morning. the deluxe suite had a nice sitting area with a sink, refrigerator, and tea/coffee making facilities. the business center has very slow internet access and no printer. warning to cingular users that you mauy not have blackberry or cell reception on island. there are few charming or upscale hotels or restaurants on the island, so if i ever come back i will try to stay at falepule lodge.

2  Thank bruin69
Reviewed 9 June 2007

My family of 5 stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. Very clean, friendly and comfortable. The only down fall of the stay was I had traveler checks and it cost me a 1.00 for every $100.00USD cashed at the front desk versa what Bank of Hawaii charged which was 3.00 for every $100.00USD I just wished that no one charged to cash travelers checks. Other then this from the door man, front desk, to housekeeping everyone was customer oriented individuals. Would suggest this for any family coming from the mainland.

• Stayed: January 2005, travelled with family