“Fantastic Fried Clams!!!”

Ranked #30 of 153 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Re-opening April 13 2018! Established in 1981 The West Street Cafe continues to please with good food at good prices. Stop by to visit our spacious beautiful new digs.
Reviewed 5 November 2016

OK, I was raised in RI and Massachusetts, so I KNOW fried clams! And these are as good as any I have had... anywhere. We were there on a Sunday and got the early bird lunch, which drops the price by a couple of bucks from the regular prices.

but everything on the menu is excellent and not only did I eat there twice (first and last day of our trip)... but I will keep it in my mind as a standard for future dining.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed 4 November 2016

I am always amazed when I've had an amazing experience and others don't agree! This place was recommended to us by someone who had grown up in the area. Being from the west coast, we cannot get fried clams with bellies. This IS the place to satisfy that need. The onion rings were nothing like I'd had before and the lobster roll was stupendous. But don't forget the pie. Maine blueberries just have no competition. They are small and sweet and make the BEST pie. If you have an urge to blow your diet, this is the place!

1  Thank Sunvalleyjodi
Reviewed 3 November 2016

We were on a New England Princess Cruise and Bar Harbor was one of the stops our group of 8 was looking forward to, specifically for a fresh lobster meal. One of the locals recommended we go to Galyn’s for lunch, but there was a really long wait and the snooty head waiter was rude and not at all accommodating; so of course we brought our business elsewhere. Just around the corner from Galyn’s was West Street Café, a much more pleasant place, though the line was just as long. Well, it was worth the wait. First of all, the person staffing the reservation desk was cool, calm, pleasant and totally accommodation, which was a very good sign indeed (following our rotten experience at Galyn’s). Once seated, service was swift. I went straight for the gold: two fresh Maine Lobsters for one person ($29.95). This substantial order came with vegetables and a choice of French fries, rice or potato. All of us ordered something or the other with Lobster and all of us were 100% satisfied. Our waitress was super efficient and super nice. We couldn’t help noticing that the staff and the customers were all happy, in spite of the long wait out the door and down the street—another good sign. After we put our orders in, food came quickly, everything cooked perfectly. My twin lobsters were goners—I managed to finish them, all by myself. The amazing thing was that there was absolutely no fishy smell on my fingers afterwards, even before I washed my hands, in spite of having used every one of them on those beautiful lobsters—that’s how fresh they were. And I actually had space for dessert: good old lip-smacking Maine Blueberry Pie, with coffee…to die for. If I could, I would be back in an instant. Those were definitely the best lobsters I’ve ever had in my life.

Reviewed 3 November 2016

After a full day of sightseeing in Acadia National Park this conveniently located restaurant (along the waterfront) was a good place to stop. For my friend and I another stab at a lobster roll was in order followed by blueberry pie for dessert. We were not disappointed. Two thumbs up!!!

Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

We had lunch here and it was fantastic! We had lobster, clam chowder, fries, Cole slaw and blueberry pie. The meal was absolutely fantastic. The lobster was nice and sweet and served with melted butter. The chowder was delicious and the blueberry pie was the best I have ever tasted.

The service was fast and friendly.