1,084 results
All reviews looking glass restaurant great room piano player massage chair the stenna nordica building indoor pool mizzentop room frenchman's bay main building he plays steam room double sinks gas fireplace private balcony in town fourth floor the general manager
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

I know it’s expensive in Bar Harbor but I was expecting a little more than we received. I agree with other reviewers that it needs a little makeover but our room in the back unit was not horrible, however, the bed was not very comfortable. The mattress had. I cushioning. I took a shower after we arrived and their was hair on the back corners and back lip of the tub. I had to rinse it off and down the drain. Two irritants. The coffee making equipment is on the bathroom counter. It’s a small counter already so this just added to the problem. The room was large. It could have been somewhere else. Also, while the breakfast was the usual continental fare, the space is so small and crowded. There are only twelve seats. There is outside patio seating but in cooler weather it would be chilly. Also, it wasn’t really inviting looking. It was cordoned off except for a tiny space by the front door which. Very inconvenient. We ate our second day breakfast in the elevator lobby. And, the first day it was very hot. Guests are trying to get food and stepping all over each other. I saw some guests that were staying in that building taking it to their room. Now, the great room off the lobby is wonderful. A bar and piano player every night. I included photos If you stay here, and the rooms are more expensive in the main building, I doubt it’s worth it. Yes, you can see more ocean but you are just above the main road. It’s close to town but too far to drive. We actually chose it for that reason. Less traffic and noise.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2018

This was one of the worst hotel experiences that I have ever had. I'll start with the positives. The front desk clerk was very friendly, polite and efficient. There was piano music playing in a sitting area near the lobby which was a nice touch. The piano player was very talented. The desk clerk took me up to the restaurant in a golf cart. I wanted to get there before closing. The restaurant also featured live entertainment with guitar music. Had I been with someone, it would have been a romantic setting. The restaurant staff was very professional. I really wanted to try the haddock but they had run out. I was disappointed but being there an hour before closing it was understandable. I ordered salmon instead and the meal was good but not fantastic. The coffee and wine were excellent. Service was also top-notch.

However, things went downhill when I checked into my room. I took an elevator to the 3rd floor.

The room access was like a motor hotel from the 60s. I would have preferred indoor access but I'm not sure that was an option for any of their rooms. The first thing I noticed were the mosquitoes hovering outside the bedroom door before I even had a chance to open the door. After entering the room, I noticed a moldy, sweet smell. It was late and I did not feel like going back down to the hotel and have to switch rooms to another room that would have had the same smell.

After unpacking, I wanted to get cleaned up. They have a selection, fancy soaps. One was an exfoliating soap. While I was washing my face, I noticed a flat, light brown bug crawling around the sink area. I attempted to kill it but it disappeared to parts unknown. This gave me an unsettled feeling.

Again, it was late, so I went to sleep. I woke up and showered. After finishing my shower, I noticed I had bites on my shoulders and back. I inspected the mattress and didn't notice anything until I pulled out a blue cloth cover that has an elastic top that pulled out. Inside there were black dots. I should have taken a picture of it and complained at the front desk. There were other people at the front desk so I did not want to discuss bedbugs and bites. I checked out and called the hotel later to report the incident. Another mistake. I should have reported it immediately and shown them the bites I had from their hotel.

The general manager stated she and her *expert* maintenance person checked the room out thoroughly and found no evidence to support my claim. In addition, she stated people have stayed their since and have not reported being bitten. In essence, it's the hotel's word against mine.

I made mistakes by not taking pictures and taking a firm stance before I left the property. Management suggested this must have been from another hotel. However, I was not bit at any other hotel. My message here is: Check your hotel room thoroughly before bringing your luggage in. If it smells off, request another room regardless of the hour. If the second room is off, ask for a refund.

I spent the rest of that day going to a laundromat and washing all my clothes, spraying my suitcase, vacuuming out my rental car so I didn't carry anything from that hotel to other places I would be going. I learned some valuable lessons. One is that I will never, ever stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Check your room thoroughly for bugs before you stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2018

Loved staying here and will return. We didn't go down to the piano lounge until the 3rd night, what a mistake! Loved the pianist and what a way to end the evening. The view was great as well as the convenience of the location.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floors for the views.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2018

Perched on a hill overlooking water with a beautiful view. The staff is welcoming. The free coffee in the lobby is terrific. The public area in the main building is comfortable with a lot of good seating. They even have a happy hour. The continental breakfast is good too.
Rooms are clean and furnished comfortably.

Room Tip: first floor views are excellent.Easy walk to town.There is also a free shuttle bus.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jag33437
Reviewed 29 August 2018

Very nice accommodations all around. We had a wonderful view from our room on the second floor.
Pool was delightful, nice temp and very clear. No chlorine smell. Enjoyed USA Today free from the lobby. Coffee and tea available 24 hrs.

Stayed: July 2018