“Great Place”
Review of Naknek River Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in King Salmon
Naknek River Camp
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at Naknek River Camp in July of 2014 and had a fantastic time. The cabins are rustic but clean and ours had a full bathroom with shower. The camp runs on generators so there are lights and outlets to charge camera batteries or use your computer in your cabin. Each cabin has heat for the chilly evenings. There is also a separate shower cabin and it is very clean as well. The view from the front porch of the cabins is very beautiful and we saw bears across the river multiple times during our stay. This is a family run camp and they make you feel very welcome. Meals are served in the main cabin and the food is home cooked and very good. There was a nice variety of foods served during our stay.

The fishing guides are all personable and very patient if you are just learning. Despite never having tried my hand at fly fishing, they helped me learn to cast and catch a few sockeye salmon. Due to their location near the mouth of Naknek Lake, they are one of the few locations that can get you to Brooks Falls, Margot Creek and Idavain Creek by boat. We were there primarily for bear viewing so we went across the Lake each day. Not having to pay for a float plane made staying there an even better deal for us.

They do not have internet and cell phones won't work but there is a phone in the main cabin to make calls to home. If you need things from the local store such as extra drinks or snacks, they make a run into town each day and will pick up what you need. This is not a fancy place but has everything you need to make your stay an incredible one. I can't wait to go back there again.

Room Tip: If there are 4 in your group ask for one of the two bedroom cabins with a shower.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank lrcalliope

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Great rustic fishing camp. Wearing your waders to dinner is not only welcome but expected so you can take advantage of the great after dinner fishing. Real value for the fisherman. Family friendly owners who live the Alaskan life with their wonderful kids. They go out of their way to make you feel part of the family and to make sure you catch fish.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Best money you could possibly spend fishing. Great bargain for comfortable cabins, hot water showers and bathrooms, pretty good food and great fishing.

All of the guides were great people and the place ran and felt like a family. Very comfortable people willing to help you out however they can. Our guides were also excellent fisherman who never failed to deliver a great day of salmon and monster rainbows. My arm hurts from catching so many fish. I plan to come back more than once and will recommend it to anyone.

It was also nice not to have things too structured. We let them know what we wanted to do and they made it happen. Nothing was set in stone.

3  Thank libertyordeath83
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had the pleasure of spending a week in June 2014 at Naknek River Camp fly fishing for trophy rainbows. The owners, Jim and Phyllis, were great hosts. This is a family affair, their son James being one of the top river guides on the Naknek, and son Hunter working in the kitchen. All the guides were excellent and very experienced. The food was ample and very good. I ate more chocolate than I have in years in just that one week! The staff has it dialed.

The fishing was excellent. Caught many rainbows in the mid 20's and a couple of Arctic Greyling. We took a day trip to Brooks Lodge and waded and fished the Brooks River. We saw one bear, but the salmon were not coming in to the river yet. I understand there can be dozens of bears at the falls when the salmon are running.

I had worried before my trip after reading one of the trip advisor reviews since I would be the only woman on the trip. I don't know what that reviewer expected. I was treated very well and have no problem recommending a trip to Naknek River Camp to anyone. Just don't expect a 5 star experience. You aren't buying that. Think of it as going to summer camp. There is nothing there but the fishing. Expect to fish every day and long days standing on a jet boat. I had the time of my life!

Next time I will invest in an inflatable life vest for time on the boat. Don't forget your raingear.

2  Thank Jeri S
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you are a serious fisherman and if you love catching wild fish, this is a must visit place. Rated number 1 in Alaska for big rainbows (I got a 30 inch fish and numerous 20-26) the Naknek River is right out your front door. Most groups will also get a trip to the Brooks River (rated #3 in AK for big bows); that's the one where the bears catch salmon at the falls. I'm sure the salmon fishing is great too, given it is just upriver from Bristol Bay. Most fishing is from a boat with a guide, and the guides are superb, real pros and not the newbies you might get at other lodges. The accommodations are simple cabins, some with private bathroom and some using a central bath. The food is ample and tasty - don't expect gourmet fare, though. And what do you expect for $2500 a week all inclusive with a guide, about 40% less than other lodges? The owners, Jim and Phyllis Johnson, are just great, generous to a fault. Be forewarned though, this place is all about fishing and is very limited if that's not your interest. If you are a fly fisherman it's great but it does demand some casting skills. Of course be sure to check the website so you know what this place is all about before booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin with a shower.
2  Thank steveatparkcity

Been to Naknek River Camp? Share your experiences!