All reviews shallow water naknek river bear viewing sockeye fishing experience great fishing rapids fox fancier cabin season life opportunity trophy cast char trips
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Great rustic fishing camp. Wearing your waders to dinner is not only welcome but expected so you can take advantage of the great after dinner fishing. Real value for the fisherman. Family friendly owners who live the Alaskan life with their wonderful kids. They go out of their way to make you feel part of the family and to make sure you catch fish.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Best money you could possibly spend fishing. Great bargain for comfortable cabins, hot water showers and bathrooms, pretty good food and great fishing.

All of the guides were great people and the place ran and felt like a family. Very comfortable people willing to help you out however they can. Our guides were also excellent fisherman who never failed to deliver a great day of salmon and monster rainbows. My arm hurts from catching so many fish. I plan to come back more than once and will recommend it to anyone.

It was also nice not to have things too structured. We let them know what we wanted to do and they made it happen. Nothing was set in stone.

3  Thank libertyordeath83
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had the pleasure of spending a week in June 2014 at Naknek River Camp fly fishing for trophy rainbows. The owners, Jim and Phyllis, were great hosts. This is a family affair, their son James being one of the top river guides on the Naknek, and son Hunter working in the kitchen. All the guides were excellent and very experienced. The food was ample and very good. I ate more chocolate than I have in years in just that one week! The staff has it dialed.

The fishing was excellent. Caught many rainbows in the mid 20's and a couple of Arctic Greyling. We took a day trip to Brooks Lodge and waded and fished the Brooks River. We saw one bear, but the salmon were not coming in to the river yet. I understand there can be dozens of bears at the falls when the salmon are running.

I had worried before my trip after reading one of the trip advisor reviews since I would be the only woman on the trip. I don't know what that reviewer expected. I was treated very well and have no problem recommending a trip to Naknek River Camp to anyone. Just don't expect a 5 star experience. You aren't buying that. Think of it as going to summer camp. There is nothing there but the fishing. Expect to fish every day and long days standing on a jet boat. I had the time of my life!

Next time I will invest in an inflatable life vest for time on the boat. Don't forget your raingear.

2  Thank Jeri S
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you are a serious fisherman and if you love catching wild fish, this is a must visit place. Rated number 1 in Alaska for big rainbows (I got a 30 inch fish and numerous 20-26) the Naknek River is right out your front door. Most groups will also get a trip to the Brooks River (rated #3 in AK for big bows); that's the one where the bears catch salmon at the falls. I'm sure the salmon fishing is great too, given it is just upriver from Bristol Bay. Most fishing is from a boat with a guide, and the guides are superb, real pros and not the newbies you might get at other lodges. The accommodations are simple cabins, some with private bathroom and some using a central bath. The food is ample and tasty - don't expect gourmet fare, though. And what do you expect for $2500 a week all inclusive with a guide, about 40% less than other lodges? The owners, Jim and Phyllis Johnson, are just great, generous to a fault. Be forewarned though, this place is all about fishing and is very limited if that's not your interest. If you are a fly fisherman it's great but it does demand some casting skills. Of course be sure to check the website so you know what this place is all about before booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin with a shower.
2  Thank steveatparkcity
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I wasn't going to review my experience (which was two summers ago -- so hopefully some things have improved) but just saw these very positive reviews and am truly shocked.

This was the worst trip I have ever taken. And, once all of the expenses (tipping, extra money for food and drink not provided, float plane cost, etc.) were factored in, this was no cheap trip. We spent over four thousand dollars PER PERSON (there were two of us) (not including our airfare).

I don't need fancy accommodations. Their accommodations were filthy. It was a plywood shack and the floors were covered in dirt. The floor bounced because there was insufficient support underneath. The windows of this "cabin" were crusted with bugs. There was still blood on the cooler on the front porch from the previous guests. We each were given one old used towel to use for the entire week. The chemical toilet smelled. The shower in the cabin was unusable because the water was either scalding or freezing.

Despite what the website claims, the food was terrible. One meal was a piece of fish with yellow mustard squeezed on top. On the rare occasion one might ask for seconds, the serving staff thought twice about it. Turns out that the guides were given the food that the guests hadn't eaten. So, you felt bad about eating until you were full. On the tables in the dining hall sat pitchers of Tang. The same pitchers sat there from breakfast through dinner and until the next day if it wasn't emptied.

I took no comfort in the fact that most of the guides seemed as miserable as we were. They openly complained that the owners had yet to tip them from the previous season. Some of the guides were fine but some were unfriendly. We actually had a guide who would only answer my husband's questions; he would not answer questions from me or other female guests. To save money, the camp will put a guide with up to six guests, far too many in my opinion.

So, I would recommend going someplace else.

Room Tip: There is one cabin that has a shower and toilet.
Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Stefanie263
Naknekrivercamp, Manager at Naknek River Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2015

This was several years ago, as Stephanie rightfully pointed out, and we have made great improvements since then. To be fair to us, we never pretended to be a 5 star accommodation or restaurant. We only promised to deliver a great fishing trip at an affordable price on one of Alaska's great fishing rivers. We have always delivered on that promise, as hopefully you can see by reading the rest of the reviews posted here.

Since her visit, we have added lots of bathrooms and showers, remodeled the kitchen and dining room, upgraded the food and overall improved in every aspect. We have a tremendously high return rate and customer satisfaction, and have grown quickly almost entirely through word of mouth. Having said that, we are always looking to improve the experience as best we can and the occasional critical guest comment helps to keep us focused on that goal. We pledge to continue improving until even someone like Stephanie would enjoy her stay in Katmai National Park.