Ways to Experience Alcatraz Island
from US$100.87
from US$158.50
from US$42.00
55,436 results
All reviews audio tour night tour book in advance cell block cell house own pace boat ride al capone weeks in advance buy your tickets self guided great tour take your time worth the trip angel island bucket list the golden gate bridge
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 October 2021

An educational experience rather than a fun trip as Alcatraz was a prison so it's grim.
However, the tour is informative and busts several myths regarding the penitentiary.
There is a trolley that will take you up to the cell block at the top if you find the walk
too strenuous ... and, yes, it's a fair hike uphill. The ticket price ($41 at the time of
writing) seems steep but the tour is only $12 of that with the rest taken up by the boat
ride. Seems fair enough. Worth a visit if just to say that you've been inside a prison
cell on the infamous Broadway! As for the answer to the title: I shall leave you to
discover that yourselves but the answer might surprise you.

Reviewed 19 October 2021

A visit to Alcatraz had been on my list of things to do for a long time. I was able to fit it into a week long father/son trip across the country. My father and I opted to explore the island on our own as opposed to taking the ranger led tour. Such history! When it came to the cell house, the provided audio tour was informative, and it was interesting to hear it come from someone who had actually spent time there. My only complaint would be that I would've liked to have explored the cell house at my own pace without the audio. Perhaps this was an option and I misunderstood, I'm not sure. Beyond that, I highly recommend this trip! Save yourself a little stress by booking the ferry ride online.

1  Thank MDavidA1080
Reviewed 18 October 2021

It was a wonderful experience! Arrive 30-45 minutes prior to your departure time, and expect it to be at least 2.5 hours before you return. It was a wonderful experience and we felt that it was socially distanced all except inside the prison.

Reviewed 18 October 2021

This is someplace that has been on my bucket list for a number of years. So a few things I like to know about someplace before I go is the tour self guided or by guided tour only? This was a self guided tour with lots of displays with more info for each place you stop along the audio guide route. The boat trip only took I think 15 to 20 mins and the boat was crowded and was the dock when we got to the island. The prison is on top of a steep incline took about 15 mins to get to the top and we went in to start our tour. It took about an hour to get through the whole audio guide and there are a few steps but the area being seen is flat and on one level. There are several places that are closed off and not viewable by the public. The gift shop was very picked over on the way out of the prison block they were either out of stock or did not restock otherwise I would have picked a tshirt for sure. Overall was a great visit and would highly recommend this informative and visually stimulating experience (stunning views of the bay and San Francisco) to anybody in the bay area with half a day that needs to be filled.

Reviewed 16 October 2021

Intriguing! A piece of history brought alive by voices of those who spent time there. Walking path is populated with benches for resting during the climb. There is also a tram for those unable to complete the walk.