“Such a relaxing way to spend a few hours”

Kabuki Springs and Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Serenity spa located in Japantown.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On a busy holiday, why not take the stresses aches and pains away and head to Kabuki Springs in the heart of Japan Town. This is not only a spa for massages but there is also a Japanese Onsen Baths which on the day we booked was mixed bathing with bathing wear, other days offer male or female bathing naked as it would be in Japan. The spa has been very nicely done.. the bathing areas are immaculate and have both traditional seated showers or modern. There is a dry and wet steam room for access and hot and cold baths. There are beds and chairs to relax if you don't want to spend all your time in the water... We loved this place spending maybe 3 hours of pure relaxation... the prices is reasonable too under $50 each.. I would certainly put this on your list..

Kathy N, General Manager at Kabuki Springs and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you, Traveller, for your kind words. We love our onsen. And we are 50 years old this year, which means, aging issues. We are closing, just the baths from July 2-27, 2018 and will reopen with even nicer pools. During this time we are offering massage and body treatments, please call 415 922 6001. Thank you. Peace, Kathy Nelsen

All reviews
"glow"
"stalls"
"benches"

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

This was truly a getaway in the middle of San Francisco. The spa is relaxing with a friendly and tentative staff. I had a facial amd 80 massage. Both were divine. I also had a body scrub treatment and liked the scrub very much. All 3 of the people that worked on me were incredibly good at their craft. Sad i will not be a be able to come here more often as I am only visiting SF.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

The massage was excellent. Great medium tissue Swedish massage. The whole place smell very relaxing like a spa. The waiting area is small size. The front desk were very friendly and efficient.
I think the massage is too short, I selected 50 minutes. Of course I fell asleep.

Very great experience. Next time I would like to try the communal bath.

Kathy N, General Manager at Kabuki Springs and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Thank you, Jane. Please do visit again soon. Women's days for the baths are Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

My spouse and I booked weeks in advance. One massage was mostly okay; the other was simply horrible....a full refund given for that one bad massage, but extremely disappointing. We used to live in this area and a shiatsu session was always a big treat. This weekend was a big disappointment. Prices are much higher than before, and the massage therapist acted like it was time to pet a cat instead of doing shiatsu; then just held one point lightly with no pressure; when asked to do the feet since it seemed like that would be hard to ruin, fingernails were dug into the top of the foot. It was totally appalling and we will never return. If things improve at least the baths are available, but the warm pool was tepid and the water was not warm feeling for most of the visit. We both miss the good old days when the warm pool was about 104F and the shiatsu therapists did real work and had authentic training in acupressure, Japanese style did real finger pressure work.

Dear Jean, I am not sure what to say to you about the good old days, all in the perception. But, again, I apologize that your experience was not up to your expectations and that we disappointed. We will continue to try to hire excellent therapists, some who do Shiatsu and some who do Western style massage, and we will continue to keep the baths as clean and welcoming as possible. I can assure you all who work here are trained, certified and licensed. Your spouse and his therapist were not a good fit, I agree. Thank you for letting us know so we were able to rectify that situation. In health, Kathy

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 March 2018

Kabuki Spa (easier to locate since building is next to AMC Theatre. My visit was on Saturday (male only guests) so unsure about co-ed days/experiences, but still should be good for amenity description. I rather enjoyed my visit to this facility. According to the website, male only days are Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday. The visit is $25 and you can stay as long as you wish (unlike Imperial Spa which limits visits to 4 hours (and costs $30 and is a much smaller facility).
Kabuki has large and half lockers, which you are assigned at check in. The check in was quite friendly and be prepared to provide (and they keep) your ID. You are given two full -size towels at check in. You can obtain additional towels from the attendant (according to a sign in the locker). Small hand towels are nicely rolled and easily accessible in the large open area. There is a nice-size cold (shallow) plunge and larger warm-hot (also shallow) tub (no jets) with seating on ¾ of the sides. The sauna is a large room with three benches and plenty of floor space with two Adirondack chairs. The steam room is a good size rectangle with ¾ benches and on two sides it is a two-tiered bench. It has a shower near the door, so it is nice to cool off. Outside the steam room there was a large table with three large jugs of water (some with ice, some with lemons, etc.) Also, on the table are small square bowls with salt (for personal scrub use). There are always an attendant, so service and assistance is constant. There are four full size chaise lounges for relaxing, a few full-size benches around the room and two additional Adirondack chairs for lounging. There are about five curtains (with curtains) and about six or seven Japanese style showers. Overall, a pleasant visit and relaxing. As noted on their website they limit the number of guests (not sure how many), but when I was leaving I heard the attendant mention the wait was 29! I would return and would be curious to see how the experience differs. Actual key with small lock box inside locker.

Kathy N, General Manager at Kabuki Springs and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Hello SWUSA-Bill. I am glad you enjoyed your experience. Please do return. To clarify, Men’s days are Monday, Thursday, Saturday. Tuesday is the all gender day. We limit the number of guests by the number of lockers, 54. I want the experience to feel like there is ample space, but, the wait list is a challenge. Thank you for the review. Peace, Kathy Nelsen