“Nice area Poor Hotel”
Review of Europa Hotel

Europa Hotel
Ranked #49 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2017

The hotel/hostel has a friendly staff.
The rooms are dirty,small.
Our room have a tiny bathroom.
The price is good.
The location is very good. Is very close from Pier 39, Coit Tower,China Town.
Is a noisy zone full of tourists,bars,pubs.
I recommend this location just for groups ,young people and for short periods of 2-3 nights.

Room Tip: rooms with bathrooms.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Despite an awesome location and friendly staff, I would strongly advise anyone against staying here.
The bathrooms were disgusting, dirty and smelt of urine the whole time. The room was fine, not bad for the price, however come 10pm there was no chance of down time or sleep. The music and bass from the strip clubs right next door were unbearable. Being three girls in their mid-twenties we can sleep through a lot, but could not through this. We were paying for a bed that we could lie in, but not sleep in.
This has been the most unpleasant hotel/hostel experience we have had.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

***STRONGLY DO NOT recommended***

Stayed here for two nights. An unsanitary, loud place but very cheap. Still not worth the money.

Pros:
- cheap stay (around $30 per night)

Cons:
- unsanitary room. Unclean, old, and smelly
- unsanitary bathroom. Unclean and smelly. Lacks paper towel
- weak water pressure shower
- loud and hard to sleep because of next door strip clubs. (Tip: ask for a quiet room)
- no elevator. Have to carry luggage up flight of stairs

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

The Hostel look poor but I guess this what you can get for that price (expensive though but considering that SF is ridiculously expensive this accommodation was cheaper than others).

You will have to share the bathroom, which is divided by men and women. The bathrooms look old, a bit smelly and there is always water on the floor.

Wifi does not work well or get interrupted over and over.

Staff quite friendly. Due to night clubs and striptease downstairs sleeping can be difficult therefore we asked for another room on the second floor and they kindly gave it to us.

Will come back if there is not any better option but this hostel was not the best I've ever been.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

I generally stay in Oakland to save money or the Wharf if I can get a good deal but neither seemed that great an option so I reluctantly took a shot on this place. I've never done the 'upstairs hotel' or shared bathroom thing but the timing and the price were right.

First, the neighborhood. It's vibrant and bustling. Yes, there are a few strip clubs nearby and a couple seedy liquor stores and these draw some shady people but there are about FOUR times as many Italian restaurants and quaint sidewalk cafes, as well as some pizzerias where you can grab a few slices to go. It's very disingenuous not to mention this aspect of the neighborhood in the breath. The are lots of shops, bars, etc., as well. It is one of the most conveniently located hotels at which I've ever stayed. It's a 10 - 20 minute walk to the Coit Tower, Crooked Street, the Transamerica building, the Embarcadero and the Wharf. A MUNI bus stops right out front every 10 minutes and can you to the latter.

I knew where I was going and saw the sign. You get buzzed in or use a key card, then proceed up a long flight of stairs. The lobby was OK and it had your typical pamphlet rack and tourist maps. The clerk checked me in promptly. There were a few 'temporary residents' in the hall but while this wasn't a welcoming sight, they weren't scary either. There is a small lounge where coffee is served in the morning.

I walked up another flight of stairs to my room and entered. It was on the small side, modestly furnished and nearly everything was old and worn, except the newer flat-screen TV. There was a full bed, nightstand and lamp, desk and chair, small dresser, sink and clothes rack. There two towels, two small soap bars and two shampoo packets. As others have stated, there is no AC, fan of any kind or window screen. The stuffy temperature and street noise are a considerable detraction and after reading reviews, I was smart enough to bring a small electric desk fan. Without it, I would have been miserable until well after midnight and even using it was not enough to keep me very cool or drown out the noise. I don't mind the din much, but my room was above the busy intersection and it was the car horn, moron yelling, accelerating motorcycle, etc., every few minutes that kept me up. I think around one or two a.m., it all died down, the room cooled off considerably and I fell asleep for good. I didn't use the wi-fi. I did see the desk clerk handing a cheap box fan to one guy who had a kid so guessing the keep a few behind the desk.

My plan was to get up early, use the restroom, shower and head out to see the sights. I didn't want to take any chances on the shared bath being dirty or busy. It was a decent-sized room, reasonably clean and clear of people at that time. There were two cramped toilet stalls, two showers with locking doors and hooks but no bench or platform and very poor hot water pressure. I wrapped up fast. There was a urinal with a trash bag over it and a sink. I got dressed and checked out around 7:30.

A few notes that should be obvious to anyone with an ounce of street sense (i.e. not everyone):

- This is not a great hotel at which to stay with young children so don't do it and then complain about the very foreseeable issues that will arise.

- Second, this is a convenient place to stay if you're walking or using mass transit. It's an urban neighborhood - some people have never seen one - parking is at a minimum and protected parking is likely quite expensive. If you have a car, then leave it at home or use it to drive to a nice hotel or across the bay, where you can get a better room in the same general price range. Don't complain about the lack of parking or the cost.

Anyway, the absence of ANY kind of fan, the noise and so - so bathroom were where lots of points were lost. It's too bad because these are easily fixed. Location and cost were what sold me. Would I stay again by myself? If it was substantially cheaper than much nicer accommodations in other parts of the city, then yes.....and it's not always. With kids or a girlfriend, at my age, probably not.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo