“What a romantic night with stunning food. ”

Alexander's Steakhouse
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Mission Bay
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Transit: Caltrain, MUNI
Description: Executive Eric Upper offers a fine dining interpretation of a Modern American Steakhouse with hints of Japanese and other influences throughout the menu. Featuring classic cuts such as Ribeye, Bone-In New York and Filet Mignon, sustainable seafood, our signature Hamachi Shot and the largest variety of Japanese Wagyu Steak in the U.S. (we currently feature 11 types of Japanese Wagyu). We also highlight dry-aged steaks and offer the finest and most luxurious products available including tasting menus and an award-winning wine list designed by Wine Director Maxwell Klassen. The bar program features seasonal ingredients with a Japanese twist, curated by Bar Director Gedeon Tsegaye.
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

My husband and I visited Alexander's Steakhouse to celebrate our wedding anniversary as part of a long weekend trip to SF. The sommelier and a waiter were very professional and more importantly wagyu steaks were stunning! As was the red! Highly recommended for a special celebration.

Date of visit: March 2016
Write a reviewReviews (313)

Reviewed 17 July 2016

We had 3 weeks in the states, visiting many different states, including Las Vegas. Alexanders was the best steak we had the whole trip.
The atmosphere, service and food were all top notch.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

As a frequent traveler, I have experienced a lot of steakhouses around the world. Alexander's was easily my favorite in North America, but my most recent visit was a disappointment.

First, let's clear the elephant from the room: the cotton candy tradition is no more. Is this a big culinary deal? No. Is it a big experiential deal? Yes, yes it is. The cotton candy was a fun twist on the end of a meal that could be a wonderful but a little pretentious. There is no smile at the end of dinner anymore. Just the giant bill.

And what a giant bill it is. You can't do Alexander's right and get away on the cheap. I have no problem with high priced meals... as long as the food and the service was worth it.

This time, it wasn't.

It also seemed the cocktails were over priced, even by high-price restaurant standards.

The staff was uneven at best. Some seemed to care quite a bit while others were clearly phoning it in.

The meal was good, but not great. If this were my first Alexander's dinner, it would have been my last. That pains me to say. The kitchen had trouble getting steaks cook properly, which is really job #1 at a place like this. We heard excuses, but no one took ownership for the fact that we were paying top dollar for food from a kitchen that couldn't deliver what was ordered.

I will give Alexander's another chance since my prior experiences were so wonderful, but I fear that the demise cotton candy is just the tip of iceberg when it comes to changes at the restaurant.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank Digital F
Reviewed 4 July 2016

We went there on a very special occasion , and thorouly enjoyed the long evening we spent there. The service was impeccable, and the waiters at least two at all times were very attentive to all questions and compliments. The appetisers, the salads, the display was out of this world, Wien list was extensive and expensive as was the menu. Don't come her if your worried about the cost. The unfortunate part for me was being uncomfortable about complaining in front of my guests that the steak they served me was almost inedible. Everyone had the Kobe of course, but I ten toward a good old fashioned rib eye best of the beef as I say. order a 16 oz rib eye rare and I expect it to be at least two inches thick. this thing was fatty, stringy, thin and over cooked. Embarrassingly bad . IF you go there, insist they bring the steak to your table before you let them cook it for you. I probably won;t be giving them a second chance, too many other places know better.

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank goamazon
Reviewed 20 June 2016

Came here for a father's day dinner and was seated 30 mins past our reservation time. As you know with children, it tends to be a little more difficult to keep them waiting. A manager (asian) did come up to us to let us know we should be seated shortly.

After seated, the waiter did not acknowledge us until 15 mins later. No settings, no menu, no water etc.

As a big foodie, I wanted to know the difference between all the wagyu meats offered. The waiter failed to explain anything except for his favorite choices. I asked more questions and he was frustrated and flustered so he brought out the packaged meats to show us. Still he did not answer any of our questions. I ended up ordering blindly & was disappointed because of the taste and saltiness of the wagyu.

Another issue with the waiter was he kept trying to upsell us. I know how much I can eat and same with the others in the party but he kept try to get us to over order.

Aside from being dissatisfied with the food, the dessert was horrible. Lastly, when the check arrived, he automatically entered a 20% gratuity when I felt his service sucked. Is that customary for a party of 4??

All in all, I will never return to this location... spent way too much for a bad experience.

Date of visit: June 2016