“Noone home!!”
Review of Artists Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Artists Inn
Ranked #22 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed there two weeks ago. Left it late booking a place in San Francisco. Two couples traveling from New Zealand so booked this at the last moment. I was disappointed with this place. We just had a note left on the front door telling us what room to go to ect. It would of been helpful if we had been told we could park at the back to off load our bags.There was no parking out the front when we arrived at this very busy one way street. I had asked for instuctions where to find a parking building near as we had driven from Lake Tahou that day and the promised instuctions were not there. My husband and I had to drive around finding one. No maps, no bus timetables or anything helpful was left in the room, only info on eating places. Room was very musty from hundreds of old books and I had to use my inhaler. No coffee, sugar or anything left, only a kettle and a cheap bottle of wine,. We only once saw the owners assistant in the 3 days we were there and she never introduced herself. I had to ring her the last day so I could settle the bill in cash. She wasn't coming in until 1130am so we had to leave cash in envelope. The owner is often away according to visitors book. Also in our room there was a storeroom separated by a curtain. $170 a night was overpriced for what was offered. I would not recommend this place. We often travel world wide and we were not impressed. It may have had its day when the owner and her husband ran it as a proper b&b but now it's just for the money with very little imput.

Room Tip: Room was average because of the old dusty books and the storeroom.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Karen D

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I had a class and decided not to fight the am Rush. Could not find a place. I called Denise (delightful women). She had a room. I got there it was late. Denise greeted me and I went to bed. The room was private, very clean, unique. The home, courtyard, clean very charming comfortable. I will go back to see the rest.
The Bed was so comfortable I almost missed my class. ZZZzzzz One down side is Parking, It is after all San Francisco though :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank blueRn
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I was hesitant to come here, as I noticed the reviews were from so long ago. However, I just stayed here a week or so ago, and it was absolutely wonderful. The only reason for lack of one star is that there is no breakfast. They are upfront about this, but obviously I can't give a perfect B &B score without part of the B!

The ambience was amazing. It is very quiet here now, as I believe the proprieter has another home at which she stays part of the year. But there was someone to greet me when I arrived, a bottle of wine chililng in the refrigerator, and a perfectly kempt room. The place is like your grandma's house, except probably better and/or fancier and nestled on a relatively quiet, hilly street near Fillmore. There is beautiful artwork throughout, and clean, sizable, tastefully appointed rooms. There is also a lovely fenced-in garden to sit, reflect, drink some wine, etc.

I would recommend this place a million times over, especially since I did not know what to expect for the lack of reviews for the past few years. It is about a 10-minute cab ride ($10) to the closet BART station at Mission and 16th St. Absolutely beautiful and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank nikisue13
Reviewed 29 September 2009

The good things about this B and B are the wonderful beds, the plethora of reading material, the proximity to Fillmore Street and the nice little garden. But, if you choose to stay in the Garden Room of this B and B, be prepared to be part of the family--whether you want to or not. This room is directly underneath the owners kitchen and dining room and when you wake up--when they do--you'll be able to share in the experience of them moving around, making breakfast, talking to each other, answering the phone and generally getting their day started. You will also be privy to private conversations while the owners sit on the top of the stairs right outside of your room and talk to their friends. You COULD make yourself a cup of coffee and get your day started, too, but there aren't any coffee makers in the rooms!!! The owners say "there are coffee shops half a block away" which is true, but who wants to walk down there in your PJs? Even the cheapest of Motels 6s have coffee available in the rooms and I can't imagine this over sight. I'd rather have coffee available than a complimentary bottle of Two Buck Chuck wine in the dreadfully noisy mini frig that had to be unplugged to get a good night sleep.
If you are planning on staying here and have a little time to do so you might want to get yourself a copy of the (free) public transportation schedule by emailing [--]. While this could be really, really helpful to have available in the rooms they are not. My husband and I stumbled around the first couple of days, asking strangers at the bus stops, how to get where we wanted to go. If these maps were in the rooms it sure would be helpful. Also, do your homework as far as parking garages go--they vary from $45 a day to $10 a day. This is another thing that you are on your own about. These little things would make this place soooo much better! Granted, the owners aren't tour guides but they have the knowledge of the city and really should share it. I would recommend this hotel to friends, but I'd warn them first.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank sleepydog
Reviewed 15 August 2009

September 08 my husband my sister and I stayed at the Artists Inn for a week. We had the garden room which was brilliant for the three of us as there were 2 bedrooms and sufficient space to spread out and relax in. We loved it here. It had a genuine homely feel which was great at the end of a full day sightseeing. The beds were comfortable with the most luxurious pillows and the hosts provide a great array of books to choose from. It was important to us to be able to make a cup of tea in our room and we especially appreciated the complimentary bottles of wine left in the fridge daily. Our one regret was that we were too busy taking in the sights of the city and surrounding areas to really enjoy time in the lovely courtyard garden. The location is brilliant-easy walking distance to restaurants and attractions, and it felt very safe walking around at night. This is a great place to stay and we would certainly stay there again. We would also happily recommend Artists Inn to others as an excellent choice when looking for accommodation in Sanfransisco. Thanks for a lovely time,
Angie, Roger and Trish Blenheim/ Taupo NZ