“Solid Chinese Food, Great Soup. Worth the walk”

Great Eastern Restaurant
Ranked #609 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 29 May 2017

We had a very nice dinner here. We walked from the Fairmont, so we had our fill of hills, both up and down, but were recommended this restaurant.

The fried shrimp dumplings were excellent, as was the hot and sour soup and the wonton soup with roast duck. The sauteed scallops and prawns with mushrooms were quite good, and the Peking duck was superb.

Service was attentive. Basically, a really good Chinese meal in Chinatown. Well worth the trip.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

My wife and I had dinner at Great Eastern (based on a recommendation appearing in a guide book). This is a LARGE restaurant, but when we sat down at around 5:00 pm on a weekday (being jet lagged after getting off of a plane) only perhaps 10% of the tables were filled. Food options in the menu were remarkably large, and many (if not most) of the offerings were accompanied by photographs. My BIGGEST SURPRISE? The food we were served looked almost EXACTLY like the photographs (whereas I do not recall EVER seeing food that I ordered elsewhere as looking anywhere near like the beautifully photographed foods appearing in menus). Service was adequate but far surpassed by the food. RECOMMENDED.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

I visited this place wth more than 25 folks who attended an art workshop. We were seated at three tables and shared an enromous and delicious array of Chinese food. It was actually rather mind boggling. Minus the beverages for which we paid individually, our tab came to $20 each, which is rather remarkable for the quantity and quality of the offerings. Friendly service. Easy to find. Decent sized dining room. If I lived in SF, I'd eat here often. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

This is a must for my family whenever we visit San Francisco, and I recommend it strongly! The place is always completely full--it's clearly a Chinese family hot spot which I love--so expect a wait. The atmosphere is loud and a little chaotic, but the service is excellent (if a little brusque) and the food is amazing! The seafood dim sum are my preference, but they also have varied dim sum circulating through the restaurant, so you can try new things. The a la carte menu is also extensive and delicious, but the Sunday brunch slot is the real winner.

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

Seen one of the reviews that Obama ate here before and so we went ahead to visit this restaurant.

The fish was not fresh.
The beans were overcooked.

Services can't comment because it's the services of the mainlanders and we can't compare those anywhere.
Prices is reasonable but if there's any better options, go for it.