“Elegantly succulent Chinese food”
Review of Yank Sing

Yank Sing
Ranked #24 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Description: Yank Sing Restaurants specializes in traditional and contemporary Dim Sum and is located in the heart of San Francisco.
Reviewed 28 May 2016 via mobile

The food was excellent - dim sum and steamed rice rolls (beef especially!) melted into your mouth... The pork buns were yummy too. It was fun to have the food brought to you on trolleys, as and when it was cooked - thereby ensuring its freshness. And that meant you could just order according to your ongoing appetite. Make sure you don't accept every single dish they bring to you though, unless you really want to try it! As you will get full quite fast. Service was perfunctory and decor was a little old fashioned - but somehow it kind of tied in beautifully with the experience.

1  Thank Hélène D

Reviewed 27 May 2016

We had 1 order (which brings 2) of the pork steamed buns, 1 order of the shanghai pork dumplings (aka soup dumplings), 1 order of the shrimp dumplings, 1 order (which brings 2) of the egg tarts and 1 snapple (drink). Our total was almost $35 after tax. I found the soup dumplings and shrimp dumplings to be overpriced. As for the taste of the food....the soup dumplings and shrimp dumplings were good. The prok buns were just okay. The egg tarts were a no go. I would pass on those.

FYI - I originally made a reservation on OpenTable for the actual restaurant which is called Yank Sing. It is just next door to Yank Sing 2 Go. As soon as we arrived and saw how busy they were, we decided to just cancel our reservation and have to go. So we ordered, had our foods in 15 minutes and just sat right outside of Yank Sing 2 Go to eat it all up.

Other note - Yank Sing 2 Go and Yank Sing have the exact same menus.

Tip - Yank Sing will validate your parking if you park in the garage that is attached to the building that they're in.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

We heard about this restaurant and thought it would be fun. We had a reservation and we barely sat down before they started bringing around the carts with the food. They bring around carts loaded with different plates and bowls of food. The problem was you had no idea what the prices were for each dish. They did have a price list on the table but it was difficult to pair up the list with what they were serving. Everything we had was delicious but it my first time in a restaurant serving dim sum. Everyone was very nice but we did feel rushed trying to make decisions. At the end our bill was $150 for 3 of us for lunch. Much more than we expected. It was fun but I feel a bit overpriced.

Reviewed 25 May 2016

It probably wasn’t their fault but I had a miserable experience. I made a reservation through Open Table. The only reservation I could get for the entire day of Sunday 5/22/2016 was at 3:45. While I thought this was an odd time for a reservation, I had heard good things and I really wanted dim sum, so I grabbed the timeslot. I was looking forward to a bustling dim sum afternoon. I was surprised to find a near empty huge restaurant. Was this an example of Open Table having a limited number of reservation slots? We were informed when we sat down that the kitchen was closing in 15 minutes. Arrggh. It only got worse. Some of our selections were cold, obviously had gone around the restaurant on the carts for a while. Enough said. It probably wasn’t their fault but it was a miserable experience. We were out in 20 minutes.

Reviewed 25 May 2016

Lunch for 4, no alcohol was $175. It was our first time, so I don't know if the servers at other places are that pushy and not really helpful with explaining what's on their carts but we didn't know what we were getting most of the time. That said, everything except two things were excellent.