“Show and dinner”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We have been to the dinner show about four times. We even had our company Christmas party there. The food is only part of the fun. The stars of the show are also the servers. The show changes about every four month. It's a great date out!

2  Thank Don B

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Nice cabaret type dinner, the food was not fantastic although it was a feat to get it all out at the same time.

Reviewed 10 December 2011

This was just a remarkable evening...very different and FUN!!!! The dinner was really good with three choices for your main course. All six people at my table loved the food and my Irish Coffee with dessert was excellent. The performers are so talented and have crafted their skills to provide an exciting and fun evening where you can leave your cares at the door! The show will be moving to a new location because of the America's Cup, and will close the end of Dec 2011.They will open in their new location in Nov 2012. I sat in the least expensive seats, loved them...booths that hold 6 people. I would pick them again over the more expensive floor seats. The venue is small enough to really make this feel like you are at a crazy private party. I hope when they move they will keep the same type of venue!!

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Great dinner shows are harder and harder to come by these days but thank goodness Teatro ZinZanni is still going strong. I can see why: Great acts, great costumes, great food.

We arrived early to take advantage of the bar and to browse the little boutique off the lobby. The doors opened and we found our seats. There are different prices for the different seating areas. We took a table on the main floor and were not disappointed. Of course, it's a relatively small venue (in the round) with most of the action in the center of the tent. As such, there are no bad seats really.

We opted for a matinee performance which included four courses instead of the five courses included with the evening performances - a starter of brie and crostini, a salad, a choice of three entrees, and dessert. Each course is served at different points in the show. The action is almost none-stop but there were occasions we could speak to the other couple at our table with just background music from the house band.

Most of the acts were singing, dancing, and other vaudeville-style shenanigans. The show changes every couple of months and has a different theme. Of course, this being San Francisco, there are adult-themes present: mostly innuendo but I did feel a little uncomfortable for the pre-teens sitting across from us during a few racy SM moments. While I haven't seen Beach Blankey Babylon in San Francisco, I understand they tone-down the adult humor during their matinees. This might be something for Teatro to consider in the future.

Our only real disappointment was missing out on coffee and dessert. It seems our table was missed and by the time the server reappeared after the closing number, we had to ask for the desserts to be wrapped to go. The server (and several other staff members) were very embarrased and made sure that an adjustment to our drink charges were made to make up for overlooking our table.

From start to finish, the afternoon show was about 2.5 hours. I was told the evening show can run about an hour longer. Parking was relatively inexpensive ($10 weekend rate) at the lot directly behind the tent - very convenient and very inexpensive for San Francisco.

The show is leaving its current location after December 31 due to contruction along the Embarcadero for the upcoming America's Cup. I was told in confidence a new location should be announced soon - they are tying up some contractural loose ends with the new site. I look forward to seeing a show in the new location soon!

2  Thank gbtrotter
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We visited Teatro ZinZanni just last night with a party of coworkers from the office.
I'll list my impressions and thoughts:
1) the concept is you are seated in the middle of the show. area as most of the performances are held in the center of a round room. For those pieces, pretty much everyone has a view. The issue is for the portions that are held on stage. There were many people in the audience who were seated with their backs to the stage, making it pretty much impossible to see.
2) The dinner is served in the middle of the show. Personally, I find this distracting. It's hard to enjoy the food while there's a performance going on, especially one that is as lively as some of the acts here. I would have preferred a dinner, then the show.
3) I didn't particularly enjoy the food. They served a spinach and lemon soup which was sour, a salad, a main course (I had chicken which was not particularly memorable) and a dessert. I've had much better food elsewhere, and like I said above, it was hard to get into the meal when a performance that demands attention is underway.
4) The performances were well done. Some of it was "let's single out someone in the audience and make them feel uncomfortable" but the majority was well executed and quite fun to watch.

I did not pay for this so I can't comment on the value for the price. Many in our party really enjoyed this as a very unique way to spend an evening. I can certainly see that as it's quite a bit different from "dinner and a movie". Again, my personal preferences would have been to separate the eating part from the performance part so I could focus on, and enjoy, both.