“Very mixed experience”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Neighbourhood: The Richmond
Neighbourhood: The Richmond
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We ate here at a catered event for a large number of people. I have very mixed feelings about the establishment. We had a fixed menu and several of the dishes were very good. They served chicken that was not cooked all the way through. We had crab but nothing to crack it with. The service was not really attentive. We had to work to get water, extra napkins, etc. The upstairs rest rooms were dirty. With so many other Chinese restaurants in San Francisco, and particularly on Clement Street, I doubt I would want to go back.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

We had the most wonderful experience visiting this excellent Seafood Restaurant on a recent trip we had to San Francisco. Tong Palace is a favorite of my good friend and decades long resident of San Francisco. He said if we wanted to eat really good Chinese food, we need to bypass Chinatown (where the tourists eat) and go to Clement Street instead.

He was absolutely right. Each Dim Sum we had brought to us in a gluttonous succession was better than the next. I have never before had such a wonderful variety of Dim Sum in this restaurant that specializes in seafood. My favorite was cut up shrimp rolled in to a ball with a sauce and covered with sticky rice. The whole meal for four of us with tea and dessert was about $65.00. What a deal.

If you love Chinese food and are looking for the finest you can get in San Francisco I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the Tong Palace. It is located on Clement between 10th and 11th Ave. When you are done take a walk down Clement to window shop the other stores and restaurants in the area too.

Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

It is Sunday and I felt like Chinese Dim Sum. Being near Clement Street I headed that way and miraculously nailed a parking space right in front of all these Chinese restaurants near Clement and 10th. Parking is a big issue around the popular Clement Street. Clement is often referred to as SF's second Chinatown.

I used TA and chose Tong Palace since it was in front of me and had ok reviews. The dim sum selection was basic but they had a few items I haven't tasted before. We really liked the "ha how" which is shrimp dumpling. There were 3 large fresh shrimp in each dumpling which impressed me. I liked the taro
dumpling but the roast duck fell flat lacking in flavor.

Overall the dim sum is good and the service okay.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook