“Fantastic Vietnamese food and great value”
Review of Mangosteen

Mangosteen
Ranked #1,569 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 11 June 2016

We have been going to this little hole-in-the-wall for years and always order the same thing-Banana Blossom Salad and the crepe with shrimp-we think those are the best we've come across in the area. This is not a fancy place and the dishes are not gourmet but they are very well done, nicely seasoned, not greasy and very fresh.
We love personalizing the crepe with the different fresh herbs. Tonight we ordered the tiger prawns that come with garlic noodles and the fresh spring rolls. They were fantastic and I know we'll be ordering them in the future. We see many people ordering the noodle soups but haven't tried them in all these years because our favorites are so good we can't imagine not ordering them.
At dinner there is French music in the background, the walls are a cheery lime green, and there is a feel of Southeast Asia, though you are in an iffy part of town so the view from the windows can be jarring.
We love this restaurant-comfortable, quick, inexpensive and very, very good food.

Reviewed 6 November 2015

I went to Mangosteen to have lunch. The place was packed. Fortunately for me, there was one small table for two waiting for me! I ordered the vegetarian garlic noodles and tofu dish. It was delicious. The portion size was large. Good thing and friend came by to help me eat it. It was mad busy, but we didn't have any issues with the service. They were quick and kept bringing me hot tea, since I was fighting off a cold. Mangosteen is located in the Tenderloin, so this place isn't for everyone. Nonetheless, the food is good, the portions are huge and the price was right for me. I'll definitely go back.

Reviewed 16 January 2015

We bought two soups, both with seafood. The bowls were very large and we barely managed to finish. Everything was very tasty.
We also took the fresh coconut juice, which was served in the coconuts themselves. Very good, make sure to try it!

Reviewed 23 December 2014

Nice place right across the street from the Phoenix Hotel. Title of review says it all, but since I need more characters: good food, fair amount of vegetarian options, solid service, and reasonable prices.

Reviewed 7 September 2014

The eggplant and grilled pork dishes were delicious. Been going to Vietnamese restaurants for 20 years, and this is one of the best.