Mangosteen
Ranked #1,752 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 16 July 2016

After finishing some business at San Francisco City Hall, my friend and I checked the time to be 11:30 am. Its time for an early lunch! We decided to go over to Larkin and Turk Street, where the "Little Saigon" Vietnamese strip is located for some Pho!. Its a few blocks from City Hall, the Federal and State government buildings.

There were a few restaurant and we walked into "Mangosteen" right on the corner of Larkin Street. This corner restaurant is a little cozy and small. It sits about 40 person in a tightly knitted community. We were given a fine, clean menu that order by number. The server came and we gave our orders by number.

We didn't have any beverages, except for lemon water. The orders, beef combination noodle and pork and rice were quickly served. Then more people came in for their lunch. Seems like the Federal, State and City employees are coming in for their lunches at this tiny restaurants.

The bill came to about $18 for two of us. Not bad for a quick and early lunch. Try this place if one is ever in this neighborhood visiting the Asian Arts Museum, or attending Federal or State courts!

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

When you see the little guardians at the gateway to Little Saigon, you are near Mangosteen. Mangosteen is a small family run restaurant serving up delicious Vietnamese cuisine. The hearty offerings are chicken, beef or seafood in broth or on a bed of savory garlic noodles. Since I am partial to noodles, today I ordered the cubed filet mignon steak with garlic noodles. The dish comes with a generous portion of broccoli, sautéed potatoes and red onions. The garlic noodles are served with a tiny dish of extra garlic salt to season the dish even more! The sauté is tasty and delicate, and the cubed steak is tender and delicious. I highly recommend Mangosteen for delicious Vietnamese cuisine.

Reviewed 11 June 2016

We have been going to this little hole-in-the-wall for years and always order the same thing-Banana Blossom Salad and the crepe with shrimp-we think those are the best we've come across in the area. This is not a fancy place and the dishes are not gourmet but they are very well done, nicely seasoned, not greasy and very fresh.
We love personalizing the crepe with the different fresh herbs. Tonight we ordered the tiger prawns that come with garlic noodles and the fresh spring rolls. They were fantastic and I know we'll be ordering them in the future. We see many people ordering the noodle soups but haven't tried them in all these years because our favorites are so good we can't imagine not ordering them.
At dinner there is French music in the background, the walls are a cheery lime green, and there is a feel of Southeast Asia, though you are in an iffy part of town so the view from the windows can be jarring.
We love this restaurant-comfortable, quick, inexpensive and very, very good food.

Reviewed 6 November 2015

I went to Mangosteen to have lunch. The place was packed. Fortunately for me, there was one small table for two waiting for me! I ordered the vegetarian garlic noodles and tofu dish. It was delicious. The portion size was large. Good thing and friend came by to help me eat it. It was mad busy, but we didn't have any issues with the service. They were quick and kept bringing me hot tea, since I was fighting off a cold. Mangosteen is located in the Tenderloin, so this place isn't for everyone. Nonetheless, the food is good, the portions are huge and the price was right for me. I'll definitely go back.

Reviewed 16 January 2015

We bought two soups, both with seafood. The bowls were very large and we barely managed to finish. Everything was very tasty.
We also took the fresh coconut juice, which was served in the coconuts themselves. Very good, make sure to try it!