“Great family-friendly hotel in a perfect location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #33 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Great family-friendly hotel in a perfect location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed in San Francisco with our three kids (13, 9, and 6) for five days over President's Day weekend, and Hotel Nikko was the perfect place for us to stay.

I booked an Imperial Club Queen-Queen room via AAA, which is the best deal you'll get at this hotel. We had free daily breakfast and afternoon wine/snacks in the Club lounge, free Wi-Fi, free rollaway bed, and free access to the health club/pool for about $310/night (plus tax).

The room was wonderful -- on the 23rd floor, in the corner, and very quiet. Roomy enough for a twin-bed rollaway to fit. The Club level rooms are bigger, which is one of the reasons we upgraded. The furnishings are contemporary and the colors are soothing; slate blue/white/dark wood/neutrals. All the usual stuff for a pretty nice hotel room: iHome alarm clock, flat-screen tv, double-layered light-blocking drapes, large bathroom with separate toilet room and shower/tub room. You can even watch tv on the bathroom mirror :) There was a complimentary fruit platter and large water bottle upon our arrival, and nightly turndown service includes little chocolates.

Breakfast: You actually get a couple of breakfast choices; either the free Continental one in the Club lounge, or use the two daily passes for brunch at Anza, the restaurant downstairs. The first morning we all ate at Anza because we got to the Club lounge within 5 minutes of closing, and the guy was already putting everything away. Anza has an expansive, varied brunch buffet, which included Japanese-style breakfast items (e.g., miso soup, rice, etc.), as well as the usual American-style items. The brunch is normally $25pp, but my husband and I ate for free with our passes, and the kids' buffet was $10pp. Not too bad. The next few days my husband took the kids to the Club lounge for breakfast (they eat fast!), then brought them back to the room, where they watched a couple of cartoons while my husband and I went downstairs to Anza for the full brunch. Nice for us to get a little quiet time before a long busy day gets going, now that our 13 yr old can watch the younger ones for a bit! And you get two brunch buffet passes per night, per room, so you may as well use them.

Pool: Very nice heated pool in a large, heated atrium. Kids loved it. The only problem is the VERY slippery tiles all around the pool area. Holy cow, I almost busted my head open! The kids were sliding around, too, whether barefoot or in flip-flops. Hotel Nikko, please upgrade/change those tiles soon, before someone really gets hurt! There is also a small Jacuzzi there, which I enjoyed.

Lobby/atmosphere: The lobby is nice, the staff friendly, the place is high-end all around but not fussy; more modern. There is a Starbucks in the lobby; always a bonus!

Location: We did not rent a car, so location was crucial, and this place was awesome. 1.5 blocks to the Powell St BART and cable car stop. MUNI stops everywhere. We only took a taxi once (other than the ride from/to OAK airport).

Recommend: If you are going with kids, I highly recommend the CityPASS. What a deal! It just turned out that everything we wanted to do was part of the pass -- for some cities it is not that way at all. We made huge use of the unlimited MUNI (bus) rides and cable car rides.

Would definitely stay here again, with or without the kids.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank cashmyre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
George Town, Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel was beautiful. I stayed for business for 3 nights and 4 days. The rooms were well appointed and the bathroom was very nice. The rooms were cold and it took forever for it to warm up even with the thermostat at 75 degrees. I didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant but the room-service was good. The bar had seasonal drinks and provided us with a good place to chat and hash-out strategies in a lively environment. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. My view had a construction site across from it.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank emcayman
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at Hotel Nikko. I like the location and service/value are good. The beds are comfortable, but the room we had was not large. The decor is modern and I like it, but the lobby was very noisy this visit. There was live music in the bar, and this echoed down the large tiled lobby, accentuating this effect. This distracted from my zen garden ideal...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Originally from the Bay Area, I know my way around the city and local places to stay. This hotel was a pick based on location and price by my travel coordinator at the place I work.
Bottom line up front: It’s an average hotel, meeting all expectations, but it’s probably more targeted towards the business traveler than couples and families.

Hotel staff was nice and accommodating at the front desk, check in was a breeze.
There are 6 elevators serving 22 floors of rooms and 2 floors of lobby and restaurant. We never had to wait more than 3 min for an elevator to arrive and the hotel was booked solid during our stay.
The 22-24 floor are accessed only via room key in the elevator and come with access to the open lounge area on the 23rd floor. They have a free morning continental breakfast there and free drinks at happy hour times each day, but it is only accessible by guests staying on floor 22-24. Those are the VIP floors and it does come with an obvious increase in cost to the nightly room rate.
Those rooms also come with a free breakfast buffet at the restaurant located on the 2nd floor, which everyone has access to, but only those staying on the 22-24 floor rooms receive it for free.
It’s a great buffet, lots of choices from your typical American breakfast offerings to traditional Japanese noodle and rice breakfast bowls. But it’s expensive. $29.99 was the going rate for those in our group who didn’t get a room on the 22-24 floor. Sure, average for a buffet, but considering Café Mason, which is an awesome place to eat, and Lori’s Diner were located right across the street from the hotel, many of them skipped the buffet and when there where they could dine for under $15 per plate.

Entertainment – there is a small jazz bar/lounge located right off the lobby. It’s a very small venue, so don’t expect any big name people, but it’s intimate and good quality music. It’s usually over before 10pm so no need to worry about noise.
The bar closes at 11pm each week night, no matter how packed it is. I’ve seen bartenders keep places open past closing if it’s packed because they’ll keep making $$. Not here. We were there for a convention and the place was wall to wall packed, standing room only, and they kicked us all out at 10:50pm. Everyone went to a bar across the street, but I see that as a missed business opportunity and it was a real sore spot for many folks who just wanted to keep talking and drinking there.

Location: Easy walk to Moscone Center for conventions, local variety of restaurants, bars, entertainment and Union Square. Powell Bart Station is 5 blocks away and an easy walk if your only luggage is a carry on.

Price: Considering I wasn’t paying for it you can take this part with a grain of salt. Floors 22-24 are the more pricy of the choices and run $250+ per night and they were pretty average. Nothing really stood out that made the room that much better than the lower floors other than the views and the fact it was farther from the street noise, which I never heard from my room.
We did have 2 rooms charges that were not ours on the bill when we checked out. I disputed these charges and they were removed without question. I was really pleased with this because I've stayed at places who put up a fight when certain charges are disputed, but I guarantee you I did not eat those 2 packages of $8 peanuts from the room fridge. I'm allergic.

Overall it was a nice stay, everyone was eager to help out, and it met all expectations for a hotel that seems to have business travelers as their target audience.
When I bring my family back to the Bay Area for a stay we’ll be staying somewhere else, and if it’s just the wife and I there are more romantic places to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 22-24 floor are considered "VIP" but do come with an increased nightly room r...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ThomperYT
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Stayed here 3 nights for a conference. The service was excellent and very friendly from the moment we checked in. The housekeeping service was done every day and left the room spotless. I bumped into a couple of housekeepers and they were extremely friendly as well. The decor of the hotel is very elegant but not stuffy and I liked it very much. I had a deluxe Queen room which was incredibly spacious. The bathroom was also quite roomy and had a glass shower as well as a full tub. I also enjoyed the large LCD TV. The bedding is very comfortable and the room had a view of O'Farrell street. Another plus is that it was literally 2 min. to get from the room to the conference center. The elevators were the quietest I have ever been in and were very fast. The hotel is also in a great location right in downtown San Francisco with plenty of great restaurants, bars, and shops within walking distance.

I recommend checking out the Irish House Pub/Restaurant across the street. It has great food/drinks and a great ambiance.

Not hotel related but the taxi situation in San Francisco is terrible. If possible, rent a car or use a service such as Uber. It might be more expensive but you'll save a lot of time and headache.

Highly recommend this hotel and would love to return.

1 Thank sbenus