“Thought this hotel the best!”

The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed as a family with a few rooms and thought this hotel was the best. It is very centrally situated right at Union Square which is a great place from which to explore all areas of San Francisco. Great shopping right at the door.
The staff were very helpful regarding the sights we should see and with restaurant recommendations as well. Walking distance from China Town, the Wharf etc.
The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The beds very comfortable. The bathrooms were quite good with nice designer Aveda products to use.
We felt very at home at this little boutique inn, enjoyed chatting to the other guests at the happy hour drinks in the evening as well.
Breakfast was continental and with a good range of options, all we needed.
Will stay here in this charming hotel when again in san francisco.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ann M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,723)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

O.K. all you guys were right on. This place ruled!! Made us feel right at home and the evening wine was just the right touch.
Thanks inn at union square for adding to our enjoyable san fran weekend!!!

Room Tip: Back of the building (507 & 607) were way quiet
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gator-gator
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I really enjoyed my one night stay here during the first week of February. We had a room on the 5th floor, which is one of the floors where breakfast and the wine and cheese is served. Our room was second in from the elevator. The room was spotless and clean. It was quiet on this floor despite what other reviewers have said. We did look out on the wall of the next door building but we already knew this was going to be the case. We had enough light in the morning as we were higher up. It was not noisy and I am a light sleeper.The room had an overhead fan I think and kept the room at a good temperature. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. The room was a perfectly adequate size with enough room for a wardrobe, desk and armchair. The bathroom was spacious enough, just a shower no bath and stocked with Aveda products. All the staff who helped us were polite, friendly and helpful. We arrived way before check in and were able to leave our bags while we explored SF. The building is old and narrow but this wasn't a problem, even for my husband who is six foot and over 200 pounds. The extra touches like wine and cheese, turn down service with chocolates and water just added to the great experience. We arrived just as the wine and cheese was laid out and had our pick of complimentary wine, soda, water and cheese and other nibbly bits. The breakfast was beautifully presented with an array of pastries, juice and breads. I'm very picky about where I stay and I was most impressed with this hotel, I think it absolutely deserves the TripAdvisor rating. I personally don't like the downtown area of SF but if you are going shopping, the hotel is right there. Chinatown is an easy walk and the trolley, BART and buses are all really nearby too.

Room Tip: Choose the floors where the food is served if you want to have first pick and rooms higher up have m...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seattle33
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Really tight fit. Hallways are narrow, and front lobby is tiny. But the room was nicely furnished, clean, and the staff were great -- always friendly and helpful. I needed some workspace and rented the Queen Suite and it was perfect for my needs. Continental breakfast with a good range of options; afternoon snack had a nice selection of fruits and cheeses. Business center was also useful with a printer withour charge. If you want to be on Union Square, but you don't need the frills of a big hotel (pool,big lobby, restaurant), then this is a great choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank rec531
Reviewed 9 February 2012

If you are looking for a charming, quiet and conveniently located boutique hotel then look no further. I just got back from my trip to San Francisco. My parents had been recommending this hotel to me for a couple of years now and finally I got my chance to stay at The Inn at Union Square.

The wine and cheese in the evening was a great in between snack after lunch and right before dinner. And in the morning the same buffet table gets transformed into a breakfast nook. My boyfriend and I definitely took advantage of the included breakfast and snacks in the afternoon.

The complimentary WiFi worked great, the shower was warm and the TV was a flat screen so it had a great picture. I didn't need the iron and ironing board on this trip but as someone who usually likes to press her clothes just knowing it was there was a plus. The staff was so friendly and it's literally 100 meters from Union Square where some of the best shopping can be had! What more could you need?

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family