“A great drive especially when it's hot down in Moab!”

La Sal Mountain Loop
Ranked #17 of 64 things to do in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: Just outside Moab, Utah, through the La Sal Mountains that can be seen from Arches National Park.
Reviewed 14 July 2017

It was 109 degrees in Moab when we decided to take a drive up to the La Sal Mountains where the temps were 20 or more degree cooler. The roads were paved and gravel and Lake Owen was a hidden gem.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"easy drive"
"beat the heat"

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

We camped at Warner Lake and started the drive to find the campground around 7:00 p.m. We didn't really know where we were going, but it was a gorgeous drive all the same. We welcomed the cooler temperatures as we climbed up, up, up. (It was over 100 degrees in Moab). There is good signage, so we did find our campground, but it took about an hour! This is one of the few campgrounds my husband found where he could make a reservation. The sites are very private, there are aspen trees abounding! Beautiful view of the mountain and a nice walk to the lake. We have heard the rest of the road north is closed, but we never ventured that way. A bit dicey when you meet a car-mostly no guard rails and a few wandering (but disinterested cattle). You are out in the wilderness-have water, a full tank and some good tunes on the radio!

1  Thank christylou60
Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

I just went to the La Sal mountains and Warner Lake today. It was great! There is construction going on but not for this part of the loop. There are spectacular views and it's a great cooler getaway from the hot desert. It was 75 degrees today and lots of shade. The hike from Warner Lake campground to Golden Nob ends with an awesome panoramic view at the top of of Moab and beyond.
I recommend also returning on the road that goes through the Sand Flats. I have Nissan Sentra and while a 4 wheel drive or off road vehicle is more appropriate, we made it home in one piece and the scenery was absolutely gorgeous. This was awesome! I can't say that enough...Follow The signs to the Sand Flats that first goes over the Mesa and then through the vast hard sand dunes and rock faces. Every turn at this point was literally a new sight to be seen. Seriously do this and I'm surprised it's it talked about more. (I did it on a recommendation from a forest ranger when I called to check on the road construction status.) We passed several off road dune buggies coming up as we were coming down so, again, an off road vehicle is more suitable to the terrain. But it's the icing and cherry and sprinkles on top to the end of a really good day away from the heat. Enjoy! Cheers :)

2  Thank skippyjones
Reviewed 20 June 2017

My husband and I drove the loop on a day that we (a) wanted to sleep in, and (b) wanted to beat the heat in Moab. It took about 3 hours to complete and offered stunning views (and a bit of an adrenaline rush since I'm afraid of heights). The only reason I give it four stars is because there's a ton of construction on the road right now and road conditions aren't great. Still, we thought it was totally worthwhile.

1  Thank Hopper211