“Welcome To Jail”

Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Moab
Houston, Texas
“Welcome To Jail”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I've never done "hard time" before, but after staying at this hotel for a week, I think I know what it's like to be in prison. You can look out the window and see all that Moab has to offer: the mountains, the restaurants, the nice hotels, and you can see people enjoying those things. But then you turn around and realize that you're stuck in a shabby, dirty hotel which is taking advantage of you. It's a bad feeling.

Let me start with the continental breakfast ("this garbage is from what continent??" har har...). They take an industrial sized can of fruit cocktail and dump it into a plastic tray. They set out some loaves of wonderbread. They hard boil some eggs and serve them cold. Voila! Breakfast. Don't forget the styrfoam plates and cups, and to throw in some metal folding chairs as seating. I'm serious, folks- this is not only an insult to the guests of the hotel, it's an insult to breakfasts in general. It's junk. Prison food. There are international travelers in Moab who may think that this is representative of an American breakfast. I'm embarrassed.

How about the atmosphere? We'll work from the ground up. The carpets are oddly mismatched (some blue, some red, some green...) and stained. There was a glob of white goo on the floor outside my room for the entire week that I was there. The doors all look like closet doors. There is mismatched vinyl glued to all sorts of random surfaces. The dresser would have been right at home in a trailer park, and the table and chairs (also mismatched) may have come from a high school library or Army surplus store. Cap it all off with a stained drop ceiling.

The mattress made a metallic grinding sound when I sat on it, and it's definitely not supposed to do that. Nor was it comfortable, at all.

Housekeeping. What did they do? They replaced my shampoo and towels and they tidied up the bed. And that was all they did. I got take-out on my first night, and the dirty container with a half-eaten biscuit on top of it was still there when I left. 7 days later. Yes I could have thrown it out on my own, but it became a stand-off, which I won. I did not touch the biscuit! They didn't vacuum, didn't change the sheets, didn't empty the coffee pot. New soap, new towels, and good luck to you.

Yes, I am writing a long and bitter review of this place, but they give me bitter feelings. I think they're taking advantage of travelers: with demand for lodging so high in Moab, why improve? Why invest? Why keep the place comfortable and clean? For every angry traveler who is grossed out by this place and will never return, there are 10 more out there who are fighting to get in. And so they continue raking in the money while we as customers suffer the consequences.

So, there you have it. If you're desperate for a room, as many travelers headed to Moab are, and all you want is a place to keep the rain and animals off of you while you sleep, then this is the place. But if you're looking for something more, like a nice place, look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank PattyDumpling
Susan S, General Manager at Moab Valley Inn, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry your recent stay did not meet your expectations, however, myself or my staff would have been more than happy to assist you in finding alternate accomodations more to your liking with no cancellation penalty or early checkout fee. True we are not the newest facility in Moab but we strive to provide clean rooms and excellent customer service and have many satisfied repeat customers that have been coming back year after year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Essex
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We spent two nights in Moab and this hotel during our road trip of the National Parks. It was an okay hotel, nothing special, rooms were fine and what you would expect for a motel type place. It does have a smallish pool which was quite nice to come back to after the heat of the day and we never saw more than a couple of people using it on both days. The price does include a continental style breakfast where you could make yourself hot oats (they have a microwave there), toast, cereals and fruit with juice and coffee and they do provide a coffee machine in the rooms. This hotel suited its purpose.

2 Thank TF1960
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is an OK hotel. It is a little dated. but the room was big and clean.The staff was friendly. But the price should not be 120$ I think. It is overpriced. However it was close to the Arches.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We home based here to visit the national parks, the room was very dated with a miserable bed, But, good location and it was clean and quiet, never tried the breakfast.

Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We were at the Moab Valley Inn on our trip from Aspen, CO to Monument Valley and back. we stayed one night, checked out to drive south and possibly stay somewhere south for the next night. That didn't happen so we deciced to go back to the Moab Valley Inn the next night. Meanwhile my sister noticed that she had forgotten here blouse the night before. So we asked the housekeeping manager Crystal Sims if they found the blouse. She was very rude right from the beginning and said: "I really don't understand why you guys checked out and then come back" - she wanted an explanation for that. I replied, that there is no reason to tell her because it was non of her business and that it really did not matter. Her response: "Well, than I have to tell you, that we are not responsible for lost items here in the hotel". That is ridiculous in my world!
We are going dirt biking in Moab about 5-10 times per year with a bunch of people and often we stayed in the Moab Valley Inn, but this was the last time. Not even the General Manager (Susan Storey) called back after I left a complaint on her voice mail. Anyway - it was the last time for me and friends staying in the Moab Valley Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends