“Finally an excellent vegan restaurant!”
Review of Green Light Cafe - CLOSED

Green Light Cafe
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I've lived in the Asheville area for 15 years now. And finally Asheville has what I consider to be an excellent vegan restaurant. I'm not saying some other places aren't good, but none of them have what all adds up to the best of everything: great food, great service, and great prices in a really nice "good feeling" atmosphere.
This might seem mushy, but I always just feel like I'm with family when I go in there to eat. The staff is really sweet to me, and of course the food is delicious!
I like the Sunday brunch, the specials they have when I get there during the lunchtime somedays, and I love their vegan desserts!
They have a specialty water I enjoy too, at no extra charge.
I recommend this to anyone, local or visitor. Obviously I'm a great fan of this place.

2  Thank donkey j

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I love this place! The food is great, service is very, very friendly yet efficient. I feel like I'm being served by an old friend. I like to eat there during lunch a lot. But when friends come to town, I love to take them there for an evening meal. They have all been quite impressed, including two of my most picky vegan friends.
I've been there for a Sunday brunch a couple of times too, and like it a lot.
Not only are the entrees really good, but the desserts are tasty too.
And the cost to eat there is quite affordable to us. I feel like I'm paying for the food and not unnecessary fancy decor, though the place is nicely furnished.
I plan on continuing being a frequent visitor.

1  Thank firboy4
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Pear salad without the pears? Unfriendly service. This restaurant needs a thorough cleaning.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Since it was a beautiful day, my wife, son, and a friend drove from Greenville, SC on our motorcycles to Asheville to have lunch. We usually eat at another vegetarian restaurant in downtown Asheville. After reading numerous reviews of the Green Light Cafe on the Happy Cow eating guide, we thought we would be adventurous and sample an alternative vegetarian restaurant.
All four of us agree that we made the correct choice. We were made to feel quite welcome upon entering the Green Light Cafe. The hostess/waitress was very helpful in explaining the different selections, of which there were many! We were served the famous "green water"(filtered water w/chlorophyl!) while we decided on our meals. For those who think healthy meals equates to bland food, they are in for a surprise.
The only negative was the sheer number of enticing dishes to choose from. I guess this means we will have to return again and again to eventually sample them all.
In addition, the prices are extremely reasonable, in fact, the best value I have experienced in many years. I hope if the owner(s) read this write-up they do not consider raising their prices because of this review. The prices are a factor in our returning, so don't you dare. Especially since we are telling everyone we know to visit your cafe during their next trip to Asheville. Tasty, quality, healthy food in a warm atmosphere... what else would you want when dining out?

3  Thank beatdrum
Reviewed 9 November 2011

NOTE: THIS PLACE IS COMPLETELY VEGETARIAN / VEGAN; they don't serve meat. I love that!!

I ate here today for the second time. I had the tempeh reuben sandwich (it's the 4th reuben at different places I've had in the last 5 days!). It was very good. Plenty of tempeh and the sauce and other stuff on it was very good. It was a big sandwich, and came with some good tortilla chips. The service was excellent, and the meal was reasonably priced ($7.50, I think). I enjoyed it so much and rank it high on my list of tempeh reubens!

This place has a lot of vegan selections, as well as vegetarian; there are also smoothies and teas. It has nice, friendly service and was a cute place; low-key and casual. The location is excellent; right in the middle of everything in downtown Asheville. I find the prices reasonable - even on the low side.

I also ate here last October when I was in Asheville and I had sweet potato patties (vegan) served over brown rice. It was really delicious. I think my meal was only around $7 or $8.

2  Thank tczig