“A Terrific Vegan Find”
Review of Green Light Cafe - CLOSED

Green Light Cafe
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This is a quirky little restaurant. I wanted to go because they had such a plethora of vegan food yet still choices for my carnivore husband. I have to say the water they serve took us by surprise. The water is filtered and then has chlorophyll added (yes the stuff that makes plants green). The water had a very refreshing flavor (a bit like cucumber in your water).
For lunch we each chose a spelt crust margharita pizza (i opted for the daiya vegan cheese). These pizzas were delicious. The spelt gave the crust a nutty flavor and it was very filling. To end the meal we split a vegan chocolate chip cookie (fresh from the oven and so deliciously warm).
I would only recommend this place to those who are already vegetarian/vegan as I think the menu is a bit too plant based for those who might not have yet adopted that lifestyle.

1  Thank Rachel J

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I've lived in the Asheville area for 15 years now. And finally Asheville has what I consider to be an excellent vegan restaurant. I'm not saying some other places aren't good, but none of them have what all adds up to the best of everything: great food, great service, and great prices in a really nice "good feeling" atmosphere.
This might seem mushy, but I always just feel like I'm with family when I go in there to eat. The staff is really sweet to me, and of course the food is delicious!
I like the Sunday brunch, the specials they have when I get there during the lunchtime somedays, and I love their vegan desserts!
They have a specialty water I enjoy too, at no extra charge.
I recommend this to anyone, local or visitor. Obviously I'm a great fan of this place.

2  Thank donkey j
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I love this place! The food is great, service is very, very friendly yet efficient. I feel like I'm being served by an old friend. I like to eat there during lunch a lot. But when friends come to town, I love to take them there for an evening meal. They have all been quite impressed, including two of my most picky vegan friends.
I've been there for a Sunday brunch a couple of times too, and like it a lot.
Not only are the entrees really good, but the desserts are tasty too.
And the cost to eat there is quite affordable to us. I feel like I'm paying for the food and not unnecessary fancy decor, though the place is nicely furnished.
I plan on continuing being a frequent visitor.

1  Thank firboy4
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Pear salad without the pears? Unfriendly service. This restaurant needs a thorough cleaning.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Since it was a beautiful day, my wife, son, and a friend drove from Greenville, SC on our motorcycles to Asheville to have lunch. We usually eat at another vegetarian restaurant in downtown Asheville. After reading numerous reviews of the Green Light Cafe on the Happy Cow eating guide, we thought we would be adventurous and sample an alternative vegetarian restaurant.
All four of us agree that we made the correct choice. We were made to feel quite welcome upon entering the Green Light Cafe. The hostess/waitress was very helpful in explaining the different selections, of which there were many! We were served the famous "green water"(filtered water w/chlorophyl!) while we decided on our meals. For those who think healthy meals equates to bland food, they are in for a surprise.
The only negative was the sheer number of enticing dishes to choose from. I guess this means we will have to return again and again to eventually sample them all.
In addition, the prices are extremely reasonable, in fact, the best value I have experienced in many years. I hope if the owner(s) read this write-up they do not consider raising their prices because of this review. The prices are a factor in our returning, so don't you dare. Especially since we are telling everyone we know to visit your cafe during their next trip to Asheville. Tasty, quality, healthy food in a warm atmosphere... what else would you want when dining out?

3  Thank beatdrum