“Great dinner downtown with friends!”
Review of Chestnut

Chestnut
Ranked #11 of 832 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Chestnut is an American restaurant. We are in a 1920s era building in downtown Asheville, right across for the Aloft hotel and the double decker coffee bus. Parking is plentiful (and cheap) at the public deck under the Aloft Hotel.
Reviewed 30 March 2018

We visited Chestnut for dinner during a Girl's Trip and had a great time. The atmosphere was fun for a dinner with friends and the food was delicious. Three of us started with the lobster bisque and one with the seasonal salad. The bisque was good, a little bland, but still good. However, next time, I'll probably get the seasonal salad because my friend said it was very tasty. I had the stuffed chicken breast for dinner, but subbed out haricot verts for collard greens. The chicken was juicy and cooked perfectly. The smoked gouda pimento cheese really added to the dish with the Benton's bacon gravy. This dish is a heart stopper and so not something I'd eat regularly, but it was so good, I'd have it again for sure. Two friends had the grilled petite filet (6oz entrée portion) and both said it was very good. Another had the boursin pea ravioli and said the ravioli was good, but the sauce was a little heavy, more like a puree than a sauce. In all, we really enjoyed Chestnut and plan on going back our next trip to Asheville. We really want to try it out for brunch too. I would recommend dinner here and then dessert up the street at French Broad. It's a great pairing for a Saturday night out with friends! Also, park at the Aloft parking garage. It was $2.50 for us and we were there about 2 hours.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,446)

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Chestnut has wonderful food and lots of gluten free options. So delicious and healthy and also some decadent things; you can be as healthy as you want or as decadent as you want ! Nice atmosphere too and great service!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Chestnut is a great restaurant in downtown Asheville. The service was good and food excellent. Prices are extremely reasonable. Try the Almond Crusted Trout with Herbed Parmesan Potato Rosti, Grilled Green Beans, Honey Mustard Butter. Delicious! Put Chestnut on your itinerary when visiting Asheville.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Another restaurant chosen by friends looking for gluten free options for me. Nice clean premises and a nice atmosphere. Server helpful, 5 out of 7 entree choices on the night were gluten free ! I had the Pork Chop, my wife had the Trout. Desserts were disppointing as we were told after ordering our first choices had 'sold out' then one of our second choices had gone as well. Glad to say there was no charge made for the eventual desserts.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We were very hungry and found a seat at the bar instead of waiting for a table. The bar staff was great and accommodating. My gf has trouble choosing wine and they put up with her !

I ordered the crusted trout which was delicious. My gf ordered the pork chop which was great as well.

HIGHLY recommend this restaurant!