“Great last minute accommodations with the friendliest staff ever.”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #10 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Checked into the hotel commonwealth on thanksgiving eve and was welcomed warmly by the front desk. The room was beautiful and clean. We spent a little time in each dining establishment and even ordered some room service from a very nice gentleman...Paul?
Overall a very pleasent experience, I will certainly return.

• Stayed: November 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (4,565)

Reviewed 21 December 2012

The Hotel Commonwealth is a gem in Kenmore Square and in greater Boston. My boyfriend and I spent a night here for a last minute trip to Boston and HC made the time spent incredibly special. From our first greeting at the front desk, to the incredibly comfortable and beautifully designed rooms, to the hit restaurants just downstairs (Eastern Standard, Island Creek & Hawthorne), we were so, so pleased with our visit. Cannot wait to recommend to all for a quick trip or a long stay in this unmatched, approachable luxury. Thank you, HC!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I was pleasantly surprised that this hotel was chosen for my business stay. Location was close to shops & restaurants, as well as the river. The bell staff was fabulous-friendly, greeted me by name, and answered many questions. Desk staff was very courteous, rooms were clean with plush robes, and restauarnts were excellent. For a reasonable price I would recommend this hotel any time & I will be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Monica P
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Clean rooms, courteous staff, pleasant decor, and the attached restaurants are fantastic. Very convenient to green line, so fantastic location. I would definitely stay here again, it was a great value.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We have a child attending college in Boston. We typically stay at the Copley Westin or Copley Marriott. We've not been very impressed with either.

Today, I travelled to Boston to get my student back home for the holidays. Since I would be alone, I decided to try another hotel. I'd passed by the Commonwealth a number of times. It looked like a pleasant smaller hotel, very conveniently located. So, I tried it. It was one of those very fortunate home runs. This hotel hit all the right notes for me.

Anything I say would likely repeat what's already been written here. All I can say is what you've read is quite accurate. The doorman, Jeff, not only greeted my car as I pulled up and had the valet handle it, he escorted me to the front desk and introduced me. The lobby is small, immaculate, elegant, and beautifully decorated for Christmas. Check-in was simple and quite pleasant.

My room--a small suite--was immaculate. I'm a bit of a tough critic on matters of housekeeping and cleanliness. This was, without a doubt, the most meticulous and well-maintained hotel I've been in. In my mind, it surpasses even the St. Regis in NYC. The bathroom is small, but very comfortable. The chrome was fingerprint free, the towels artfully folded and toiletries and all conveniences readily available.

The bedroom area had a king, very attractive and remarkably comfortable. It was separated from a sitting area by floor-to-ceiling pull drapes. The sitting area included a desk, two large club chairs and a large leather footstool. The furnishings are classic and impeccable. Flat screen TVs in both the bed and sitting areas.

I ordered room service, from one of the two restaurants attached to the hotel. It arrived in reasonable time, and was excellent. In the morning, I chose to visit the restaurant for breakfast. It was a very attractive, large and inviting place; breakfast was very pleasant and very well done.

When I booked, I was hopeful but not overly so. It was quite reasonably priced, so... When I returned home this evening, I told my wife the Commonwealth may be one of the all-around best hotels I've ever stayed in. (She's skeptical, so when she's with me on our next trip I'll get another opinion.) Of course, personal taste matters. Mine leans toward smaller but well-done, quiet, without being pretentious, well-maintained, a pleasant--but not fawning--staff, and efficiency.

Parking will cost $42/night. I've read some complaints about that. However, we're used to city parking in hotels and this is certainly quite competitive with what we've paid elsewhere in Boston. As to "getting around", the T is directly in front of the hotel at Kenmore Square, and it's a simple and easy way to get around.

This will now be our "go-to" Boston hotel, and I've already recommended it to some friends with business and college reasons to be in Boston. We will be returning in a month or so, and, if I find that this trip was not reflective of what I'll find in that next visit I won't hesitate to revisit my comments. But, for now, I certainly stick with my assessment that this is one hell of a great hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo