“Amazing time”
Review of Thompson Island

Ranked #227 of 419 things to do in Boston
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We held our company picnic on the Island recently and it was an amazing experience. From start to finish everyone had an incredible time. Volley ball, baseball and other games kept everyone busy, with plenty of snacks and drinks before an appetizing dinner. All around an amazing day and something I hope we do again.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

Sheer perfection for our Boston Beach Wedding! I am glad to see that Thompson Island the no longer Best Kept Secret in Boston. It is an absolutely amazing place to have your wedding reception or event!!! In prep, I visited everywhere from Cape Ann to Cape Cod. Many in my party have worked in meeting planning at exclusive hotels & resorts all over the world, but this private island is really an extraordinary & sparkling treasure... hidden in just a 15 minute boat trip from Long Wharf. This was the most serene and gorgeous setting: the food and staff were utterly fantastic (really large & fresh lobsters for everyone!), the venue was incomparable and truly special. No other island in Boston Harbor has the effervescent atmosphere and shimmering ambiance that Thompson Island does. We've been there and seen those. Take a preview trip out and you will see it is world's above and away.

My guests came from everywhere and they are still talking about how magical our wedding reception was at this unique setting, and how they are so happy that they made the flights to Boston. Most of all, we managed to surprise even those who have lived in the Boston area for generations (but none had ever been here) by this adventurous reception; they were blown away by the exceptional and singular beauty of this place and the whole experience of it. Thompson Island has lush, old growth trees and many other special gems that the other island venues do not have: a beautiful campus to stroll which feels like an olde New England village, a dedicated, seasoned and professional special event staff and miles of private beach & coastline.

I cannot describe accurately just how exciting, glamorous, charming, captivating and sublimely enchanting our wedding reception was thanks to the Thompson Island staff and Boston Harbor Cruises. We have glorious memories and photos, but I don't think anyone who was there will ever forget this amazing day & evening!

"Party with a conscience" is their event motto & it feels good too -- your event supports their worthy youth center through their Outward Bound programs! They have a brand new events pavilion, it's just perfect. I hope you will love it as much as we do. TI you will always have a special place in our hearts!

3  Thank ReallyGoodNews
Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

We had our small company outing here today. As usual, very relaxing and really good food. A short 30 minute ride from Long Wharf past Logan Airport, South Boston and some other of the Boston Harbor Islands.

It's quiet out there, only the entertainment you bring with you....lawn games available and some sporting equipment but mostly just a relaxing place mid summer for out group.

I bet it's a great place to camp when permitted.

Reviewed 16 July 2015

I went there as part of a group social event for a conference. We were swarmed by the largest and most aggressive mosquitoes I have ever encountered. My wife and I were bitten a couple of dozen times between us in the space of 15 minutes. When we went to ask the staff for mosquito repellent, they already had bottles of it out on the bar. Obviously the staff knew what to expect, but the attendees didn't. Had I known in advance that the mosquito problem was so bad, I would never have gone.

The meal was acceptable, but the temperature of the items served was lukewarm at best. Nothing was served really hot. And in all honesty, it was hard to enjoy anything after being bitten by so many mosquitoes. The staff ranged from polite and helpful to somewhat indifferent.

I can't necessarily blame all of this on the people who run the Thompson Island facility. Frankly I think we had too many attendees there for the size of the venue, as it didn't appear there were enough tables and chairs for everyone to sit down. Somewhere along the line there was a breakdown in communication and planning, but on whose end I have no idea.

The view from the beach was pretty, but overall I would not recommend attending in the summer months unless you cover yourself in mosquito repellent first.