“My favorite JP restaurant”
Review of Centre Street Cafe

Centre Street Cafe
Ranked #649 of 3,417 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jamaica Plain
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

This is my go-to neighborhood restaurant in JP - the food is always delicious with a great wine selection, and the staff is always friendly and helpful. Definitely a local gem.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

This is an excellent restaurant, The kitchen knows what they are doing. The tasty are subtle and intense. Italian food is their specialty. I don't usually go to Italian restaurants because I can cook Italian food, but this place is many steps above what I have had elsewhere.
Don't miss this place.

David D, Owner at Centre Street Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Robert: I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent meal at the Cafe so much, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor. We're proud of our house-made pasta and appreciate your compliment. Hope to see you again soon. Best regards, David

Reviewed 7 September 2017

This cafe has healthy tasty meals, with a small diverse menu. The Monk Fish was delicious, service was great and a good atmosphere

Reviewed 7 September 2017

To be fair, McKenna's at Savin Hill is still probably the co-best breakfast I've had, but they're different genres. McKenna's is your classic American breakfast experience, done better than any other classic American breakfast place. Centre Street Cafe is a semi-swanky affair that falls into the just right area between a place like McKenna's and a pretentious place like the Frogmore that takes a big swing and misses.

The eggs were absolutely amazing, and that shouldn't be a big deal, but at so many places I go, the over easy eggs just aren't right. Here they're perfect. The bacon and home fries were also perfect, and I personally appreciate there being 3 eggs in the Truckstop instead of just two. The game changer though is the pancake. It can be so hard to choose between French toast or pancakes and something like the Truckstop (classic 2 eggs, bacon, home fries, toast). Having that one pancake with it makes all the difference, especially when it's an amazing chocolate chip pancake with CARAMEL BUTTER. I had to use caps because the butter was unbelievable.

You should definitely get your brunch here if you have access to the 39 or have a car.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

I am a middle aged woman and was dressed professionally when I entered the Center Street Cafe on 6/19/17, a Monday evening, about 7:30pm. There were at least 5 empty tables, roughly a third of the total tables in the restaurant. When I told the waiter I would be dining alone, he asked if I had a reservation. When I replied no, he told me it would be a 40 minute wait. Clearly, I was discriminated against being a lone diner, because when I passed the restaurant about a half an hour later and looked in the window, there were still many empty tables. The Center Street Cafe has lost my business forever - there are a lot of other fine restaurants to eat at in downtown Jamaica Plain.

David D, Owner at Centre Street Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

We're sorry you perceived the server's honest communication as discrimination. As a small restaurant that relies heavily on positive word of mouth reviews for our success, we have no interest in turning away any of our guests, single or otherwise. I reviewed the situation with the server and he said he explained to you that all the tables that were empty when you arrived were indeed being saved for reservations, and did indeed fill up roughly 45 minutes after you left. Rather than seat you and rush your dining experience, or ask one of the parties with a reservation to wait for you to finish your meal, he opted to explain that there would be a wait for an existing table to become available. I believe that was the fair and honest thing to do. I hope that clarifies the situation.