“Don't miss this gem”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighbourhood: Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
Neighbourhood: Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan
Reviewed 26 October 2016

This is a tiny hole in the wall that lovingly prepares simple and delicious barbecue. There is one table inside and in good weather a place to sit outside. In less you are in a hurry your best bet is take out as most patrons.
Check their schedule is is not open every day.

Reviewed 6 October 2016

Let's be fair for a moment....Mattapan and Dorchester get a very bad rap for being a "not so safe" neighborhood, particularly at night. Its a very sad case, regrettably.

Now, during the day, 100% should not be missed for their respective local cuisines.

Now, the actual story: Cutting through this area to get to Newton, we know of this BBQ joint for YEARS but never stopped there as it was never convenient. Finally, we had the chance to do it. Holy Crap! I can't believe what I have been missing out for all this time!

I'm 100% serious.... there is not a bad dish on their extensive menu! NOT ONE BLEEPING THING! If I had a second stomach, I would asked for even more than what I consumed. I'm serious! The smoker is right outside this tiny joint, and the smell is enough to make ANYONE stop fighting and run to this place like a Zombie!

We were there for nearly 2 hours talking to the staff, and everything there is made my scratch... NOTHING IS FROZEN, Pre-prepared, OR CANNED! The sweet (and beautiful) woman who we talked to made her own Cole Slaw recipe, and it was amazing.

I can talk for hours about how awesome this place is, but you need to go there to experience it for yourself

Reviewed 5 July 2016

When I visited Pit Stop several years ago, the food was awful. I ordered small ends (ribs) and they were so fatty that I ended up throwing them away. I vowed never to return because at that point, the food was getting worse. Not many places to go for good BBQ in Boston so I decided to give them one of more chance. Voila, the food was INCREDIBLE. The small ends were meaty with lots of flavor and the beans and potato salad were AWESOME. They must have heard the complaints and obviously, took action.

Reviewed 23 December 2015 via mobile

Amazing take out only place, the brisket and ribs are our favorite! The spicy rice is no joke! The sweet potatoes are like dessert and the Mac and cheese is heavenly. They do nothing wrong other than run out of things sometimes because they cook on an actual pit. It is legitimate pit bbq with a guy sitting next to the pit cooking. No microwaves in this place!

Reviewed 7 August 2015

A friend and I stopped at this place late on Thursday July 30th for dinner. We got one plate of food (to share), and an additional side. We attempted to call in and order it, but because they were closing in roughly 30mins they said we could not order over the phone (which I understand, but it was a little annoying). We ordered a half chicken with mac n cheese, beans (the extra side was rice) and it also came with cornbread (which I made a point to say I was eating, the guy at the counter kind of laughed and ended up giving us 2 pieces).

The food was very good, I overate. The chicken had sauce, but I like sauce (and the more the better), they would have put it on the side if you wanted. The mac n cheese was not overly cheesy, it was what you would think of from a BBQ spot (same with the beans). I did not try the rice, I was so full from everything else, I could not do it. The cornbread was not too sweet, but it was moist (I would have rather had a little sweeter).

The place was good, without a doubt the next time I am in Boston and I am craving BBQ, I will head here. The neighborhood looks a little iffy, but no one bothered me, and I went at night. The staff was pleasant, and the price was right.